Feedback for piano based underscore

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AlonMarcus
Active
Active

Feedback for piano based underscore

Post by AlonMarcus » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:08 am

Hello, what do you think about my take on this brief?
https://www.taxi.com/members/gfqbyjgMTo ... issful-day

PIANO-Based UNDERSCORE INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful boutique Music Library that's distributed by Universal and has tons of credits in Big Films, Countless TV Shows, and Commercials!

This company gets some really, really great placements, and lots of them! Please listen to the following examples the Company's CEO gave us to get yourself in the ballpark of what they need:

Instrumental Examples

Quoting the Library's CEO: "We'd like to hear sophisticated, modern, pattern-based piano cues that are intimate, soft, and underscore-friendly. Structure-wise, make sure to both have a consistent composition and give the editors options to use, i.e. a dynamic section, build-up section, and more intense section. The key is to have different sections in terms of intensity, but NOT different in terms of harmony or 'new ideas'. Pianos often have quite a few resonances – so Dynamic EQs, Multiband compressors, different reverbs, etc. are very handy techniques to keep them from sounding muddy."

Please submit well-crafted Piano-Based Instrumental Cues that could add feeling and emotion to whatever is being shown on screen. Instrumentation can include strings, percussion, acoustic guitar, etc., as long as piano is the main focus. Remember, you're not trying to show off what an amazing piano player you are, so much as creating a vibe, feeling, and emotion while leaving plenty of room for dialogue to be the focus.

TIPS FROM THE LIBRARY TO HELP YOU NAIL THIS PITCH: "Many composers throw in way too many ideas and are not focused on ONE CENTRAL MOTIF: they try to keep things interesting by adding new harmonic lines and elements (melodies, even improvisations, etc) instead of focusing on the production and textures. What I'm looking for is basically: obvious production music (in form and structure), that sounds like commercial music (production style)." Put simply, keep it SIMPLE! We know that other Libraries like to receive music with complementary A and B sections, but this Library is NOT one of them – stick with ONE CENTRAL MOTIF per submission, please!

All submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Good edit points and non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are required. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Feedback for piano based underscore

Post by AlanHall » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:14 am

Hey Alon,
I get a 'cheerful, happy-go-lucky' vibe from your cue which will work perfectly for some other listing, but IMHO not this one.
My trip down the rabbit hole that are the ref tracks revealed that most of the interest of the tracks is in the poly-rhythms, the interplay of 2-against-3 patterns in the music. Note that at least 2 f the tracks are in 6, allowing the composer to get even divisions of both 2 and 3 in each bar. See the listing ask for "sophisticated, modern, pattern-based" cues. Your track is really nice, but maybe veers from this listing by too much.
Alan

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Feedback for piano based underscore

Post by irthlingz » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:42 pm

Hi Alon - I think anything you could do to soften it, take the brightness/edge off it, might help. Possibly EQ to take some of the highs out?
===
Michael