We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Oma
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Feedback needed on song - pleassssss

Post by Oma » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:56 am

Hello everyone,
I'm back again, I humbly seek feedback from this talented community on a song I am working on . The song and lyrics are on my soundcloud page in link below. I have my reservations on some aspects of the song, but let me not bias you, any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated on the production, mix, lyrics etc. and any suggestions to improve the quality will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to listen and respond.

https://soundcloud.com/omaa-1/hes-gonna-find-you-2

nick.moxsom
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Feedback needed on song - pleassssss

Post by nick.moxsom » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:13 am

Hey, Omaa, we haven't met before... until now :)

Great song. And great voice too (is that you singing?).

The gentle acoustic guitars give it a Minnie Ripperton quality, to my ears. But personally, I'm not sure they enhance what's best in the song. At the moment there's a little discrepancy between the guitars and the keys – are we in straight 4/4 or are we in shuffle – and it feels like it needs to resolve on one or other side of the fence.

Others are better at solid production techniques, and no disrespect to you, Omaa, cos you clearly play guitar better than I do, but the gits as they are distract me from the emotion in your voice – a bit of a smoke screen. If this were mine I'd maybe try pushing the guitars right back in the mix and focusing on your voice and simple keyboard. The song has a gospel quality, I think, and I'd prefer if you featured the keys than the gits.

Loved the listen, thank you.

Nick

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by johnlewitt » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:23 am

I agree with Nick, but I'm going to go one further.

Ditch the acoustic guitars altogether and make the piano the prominent instrument.

You could still have a single acoustic guitar adding some light runs after the drums come in (instead of the electric) - but don't let them overpower the vocal.

I'd relisten to the track with the mantra "Let the vocal carry this song and don't let anything get in the way of it!"

John

Robtoons
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Robtoons » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:31 am

Hi Oma! Long time no hear!
Wow, I really like this! It's a beautiful piece, very warm and compelling. Your vocal is great, ( have I made the Joan Armitrading comparison before?) well I always loved her voice, and yours has some of that flavor to me. Love the gospel-tinged b.g. vox, very smooth.
This is not a genera I'm super familiar with, so I probably won't be of much help here. I did notice the acoustic guit in the intro is out of tune, once the track kicks in its all good. Nick and John might be right about loseing the acoustic. I was wanting to hear a bass come in with the drum kit later on ( maybe at the key change at least?) Other than that, I've got nothing for ya.
Nice work! Cheers, Rob

Oma
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Oma » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:44 am

Thanks Nick, Rob and John.
You guys are so nice, I can always count on the wonderful folks at Taxi to help with valuable analysis. I am really over the moon that you guys are commenting about my voice, I always see myself as someone who can't really sing that well, and I'm still trying to get used to my own voice, I will definetely check out Joan Armitrading as referenced by Rob to see if I can get some inspiration.
On the guitar, very true I agree it's distracting from the voice, just that I love the guitars so much on their own, maybe I'll try to get my instrumentalist to play the guitars again, make it a single track and take it to the background a bit more and let the song ride on the piano and vocals, will also experiment with bass at the end as suggested. I had issues with the key change but no one has mentioned it, but I'll work on the suggestions and see how it sounds.

Thanks so much, you guys are really helpful.

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:59 pm

Tending to make judgements as it comes right out of the box, posted comment on SC during the first listen. Leaving the details to the Taxi-pros... it drew me in from the start; nice song; nice job.
With the good advice re tweaks; those would only make an already-good-song into a great song; imho.
Well done; nice job.
Peter
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

HectorRContreras
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by HectorRContreras » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:35 pm

Dear Omaa,

Arriving a wee bit late, but my ears will be fresh as I am not reading the other Comments before I listen to : "He's gonna find you"

Nice Guitar, nice Intro, then a lovely Piano background when we hear your superbly warm Voice.
I love the Change of Tone at 0.44 ! : )
And the Gentle Chorus at 1.02 onwards, it is very well done.

And then at 1.32 you bring about a richer Development. All this is done with so much sensitivity and Musical experience.

It is about the first time that I hear wonderful changes of Keys, and Chords, during a Song Composition, here at the Forum. That is beautiful.

The only thing that I would suggest, is that you practice your Singing of this Song, in order to acquire more confidence in your Performance.

At the moment it is so lovely because we hear that you are a tiny wee bit hesitant with your delivery of the Song, vocally so.
For us it is very touching and heartwarming, but if you want to go Professional with this excellent Song, yes, just practice your Signing of it, in order to control everything of what is going on in your Rendition.

Very nice to meet you dear Omaa ! :) ;)

Oma
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Oma » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:17 am

Dear Peter and Hector, thank you so much for the lovely comments, I'm so inspired. Will definitely work on this song seriously and make it the best I can, I'm a bit surprised by the positive feedback, didn't think too ,much of the song before. Much appreciation to everyone who listened and commented.

Tim_Behrens
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Tim_Behrens » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:13 pm

Really enjoyed your song, and your voice. I'd echo everything that has already been said. Might also add that, to me, the guitars sounded a bit out of tune on the higher strings. For me, that detracted a bit from your vocals. If I were in your position, and wanted to re-record, I might also consider bumping up the bpm just a tiny bit. It might have a bit more energy if it was just the tiniest of bits faster. Personally, I always tend to record my songs about 5 bpm too slow. When I go back and listen, I find myself wishing I had pushed it just a bit more. The 2nd verse, when the beat comes in, really gave it some energy and momentum. It seems like it comes in at a great point in the song, but it does so much for the music, I almost found myself wanting it to come in earlier. All just my opinions, though. I really did enjoy listening. You have a wonderful sound. Best wishes.
--Tim Behrens
TimBehrens.com | SoundCloud
Facebook | YouTube | Google+ | @TimBehrens

LittleRedChurch
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LittleRedChurch » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:42 pm

It's good!

Ya know, I can really hear this done in a studio with great players and a great arrangement. I mean the building blocks are all there. It's got great bits. I just think the instrumentation has to be brought up a notch, and that's not a big thing! Honestly. The hardest part is coming up with a good song, which I think you've done!

LRC