Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

melodymessiah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Feedback on classical cello/viola instrumental please

Post by melodymessiah » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:45 pm

Hi.

I'd like to know what you guys think of this piece:

It's all very standard midi. Production would need to be upgraded before any pitching of course. so I'm also open to any collabs.

Paul

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Feedback on classical cello/viola instrumental please

Post by Zaychi » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:04 am

It is a quite dark and unsettling piece. On the surface, when it starts it seems like it is going to be a very gentle and easy listening track; but then you start to make all kinds of weird key changes, both in the progression and in the melody. For example, at 0:10, 0:20, 0:44, and more after that. I suspect that these fall into place when you listen to it several times (in fact I did, and they do), but the problem with sync is that they should make sense the FIRST time... and as it is, I think they catch the listener by surprise too much. They would better fit an own/artistic track than one for sync (the best listening music, for me personally, is the stuff that gets better when you listen to it more often; and this sure is a candidate for that).

You already know that the production needs to improve as well. The problems with these things is, that there's a LOT more effort in the production than there is on the composition itself.

Also, the usual listings for this kind of instrumental ask for 90-120 seconds; the piece as it is is much too long for "normal" sync listings.