Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

feedback on EMOTIONALLY COMPELLING INSTRUMENTALS for PSAs

Post by irthlingz » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:03 pm

Listen here:

https://sharmuse.com/abreu_psa.html

Seeking opinions on overall quality, and whether my compositions fit the request.

Thanks!

=======================

submission for TAXI Dispatch # D200811SA

A Bunch of EMOTIONALLY COMPELLING INSTRUMENTALS are needed for Public Service Announcement placements by a very active and fast-growing Music Licensing Company!

Please send compelling Instrumentals with an emotional feel that could work well in Public Service Announcement commercials. Your productions should be primarily organic-based, and can range from very simple tracks to more fully-produced Instrumentals. However, your pieces should not be too grand or overly dynamic for this request. If you’re planning on using samples or Virtual Instruments, please make sure they sound convincing and realistic. Anything that sounds stiff or synthetic won’t work well for this request.

TAXI Tip: Please be sure your submissions stick to one central motif, mood, and emotion from beginning to end.

mwb2
Impressive
Impressive

Re: feedback on EMOTIONALLY COMPELLING INSTRUMENTALS for PSAs

Post by mwb2 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:55 pm

Hi Sharon,

There is nice work in the writing, though I do think the piano samples in particular are letting you down. Some of the piano sounds overly quantized or mechanical as well. For the piano based tracks it could be worthwhile to check out some piano mixing tutorials on youtube and compare results with what is in the reference tracks, which to me generally sound a lot fuller and rounder.

Cheers,
Mike
Mike

soundcloud.com/mwb2
instagram.com/mikekrishton

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:01 pm

Thank you, Mike. Off to YouTube I go.

rpeckyno
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by rpeckyno » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:05 pm

Greetings SAbreu!

For all four, I would say that I like the notes themselves, but the sounds and mix would make it hard to use as is.
One trick you might try is layering multiple different pianos - to get different pieces of the piano sound you want. (if you have recorded as midi, then this is very easy to do.) The tone of the piano you want to highlight is key too. e.g. For me, "Hope and Healing" needed a lighter more clear piano rather than the more detuned piano.

Often the secondary instruments felt like they were competing for attention from the piano. Pull them back a bit and let them complement. or, let them lead for a bit to add motion and interest. "Free and Confident" - the strings and drums don't come in till 45 seconds in - (they made me jump when they did!). This seems a late for a 1:30 cue. Of course you want to build it, but don't wait till halfway to start - even some pad strings earlier on would go a long way to carrying the listener along.

"Lofty and Stately" is a bit "stiff" - Some small work moving the harp notes so they are not perfectly quantized but rather follow the feel/emotion would really make this come alive. The sound is also a bit video gamey which takes away from the majesty that is clearly in the notes themselves.

I'm also quite new so I may not be completely on from a licensing/sync point of view... (something I have to remind myself every single day :)

Good luck!
-robert peckyno / @streamingkeys
Pecknotes Productions: https://pecknotes.com
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/imaginaurium/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/tharsisdrip

Steverino
Active
Active

Post by Steverino » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:42 pm

Hi Sharon,

I just listened to your 'Free and Confident' piece. I think that it is a good start but, that it needs some polishing and production to get to the next level. The piano playing on some of the downbeats seems harsh at times...maybe use compressor on the track? Also, the timing on the overall piano part could be improved upon. The accompanying instruments that enter halfway through this piece sound "synth-y". I can immediately tell that the pad and cymbal hits are not real. Just me opinion though.

Best,
Steve

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:12 pm

First of all, Robert and Steve ... thank you! Will pursue your suggestions.

Second, Robert, Steve and others: On "Free and Confident" I have EQ'd and added a bit of reverb. I realize there is more work to do on this piece, but I'm wondering whether this is even taking it in the right direction. Opinions and suggestions invited. Listen to both versions at the link below. Thank you!

https://sharmuse.com/abreu_psa2.html

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:15 pm

Here is a revised version of "Free and Confident," with two different piano sounds combined, some EQ, and strings substituted for the synthy pad. Would love to get feedback on how well this works. (The old version is there for comparison, too.) Thanks!

https://sharmuse.com/abreu_psa3.html