Feedback on INDIE/FOLK Instrumental

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

brianvegas

Feedback on INDIE/FOLK Instrumental

Post by brianvegas » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:49 am

Hey all,

Any feedback is appreciated...this is what I've got to start and build on...

https://soundcloud.com/brian-vegas-1/bl ... Ff8jYnojwC <<<<V4

https://soundcloud.com/brian-vegas-1/bl ... tPaQhr8Ttd <<<<Mix1

https://soundcloud.com/brian-vegas-1/bl ... iQgzvT2IIF <<<<<New Drum Arrangement

INDIE FOLK/AMERICANA INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a Music Licensing Company that specializes in music for content creators as well as TV shows and Film projects!

NOTE: We previously ran this request as Dispatch Listing #D220603MR, but the Company is looking for more material. If you submitted to listing #D220603MR, please send different material this time around.

This Company is on the lookout for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals in the general wheelhouse of the following references:

"Dreamsicle" by Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit

"Gloria" by The Lumineers

"hold on" by sød ven

Although the references have Vocals, please submit Instrumentals only for this request.

Quoting the Company: "Production & authenticity is super important. Tracks that sound like generic 'library music' won't work. We need instrumentals with current-sounding production, excellent mixes, and quality writing. For instrumentals – they can’t simply be vocal songs minus the vocal lines – those kinds of tracks feel like they’re missing something."

Please send well-produced Indie Folk/Americana Instrumentals with captivating arrangements, engaging motifs, and an overall uplifting sound and vibe. Acoustic-based instrumentation will suit your submissions best – think acoustic guitars, organic drums, etc. If you are planning to use any virtual instruments or sounds, they should be high-quality and not dated. Craft your pieces around a central motif and mood so that they remain cohesive, and layer instrumentation in and out to give your pieces a strong sense of dynamics and forward motion.

Your submissions should be at least 2 minutes in length and no longer than 4 minutes. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best for this request. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use the references only as a guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This Company offers both EXCLUSIVE and NON-EXCLUSIVE deals. The specific deal points will be handled on a case-by-case basis. If you’re inclined to sign an Exclusive deal, please don’t submit material that’s already signed with other libraries or publishers for this pitch. You must own or control your Master and Composition to submit to this opportunity. Please submit as many Instrumentals as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Tuesday, July 26th, 2022. TAXI # S220726ME
Last edited by brianvegas on Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.
buy me a coffee >> https://ko-fi.com/pandamic

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Feedback on INDIE/FOLK Instrumental

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:59 pm

Something is very wrong with the mix, it's barely audible even with the volume at max. You might wanna check it has exported properly , I can't imagine it's meant to sound that way ?

brianvegas

Post by brianvegas » Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:51 pm

AlonMarcus
Active
Active

Post by AlonMarcus » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:26 am

I think there are still problems with the mix. It ends abruptly.
From what I heard, there are good guitar parts and nice piano.
Too much effects, especially the one that moves the guitar sound from left to right. I think you don't need it at all.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:06 am

I think you have a nice idea melodically etc. But I hear a lot of timing issues between the instruments, it really needs tightening up so everything stays in the pocket.

Also I don't feel the mix is up to broadcast quality yet. The mix balance is off as things suddenly jump out of the mix and there are other issues like some quite nasty guitar squeaks that need attending to.

I think you have a way to go before this one is ready to match the listing requirements.

Mark

brianvegas

Post by brianvegas » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:53 am

Thank you both! Did some work based on the feedback - hopefully it's sounding better and getting closer to usable?
Much appreciated!!!

https://soundcloud.com/brian-vegas-1/bl ... 71MZJarFLD

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:42 pm

Hi, In your latest version I'm still hearing some of the problems that have been mentioned with previous ones. The intro tremolo guitar is very quiet and long intros are not a good idea for sync. The sounds are ok but quite plain, and could all use a bit of polish to make them shine out. The overall mix level is still quite low, the ending is very abruptly chopped off, so the track would not be considered as 'broadcast quality'. Also, there's only 1:20 rather than 'at least 2 mins' as requested. By comparison, the ref tracks are all much louder and have life and sparkle.

Remember that the listing includes the following text.....
brianvegas wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:49 am
Production & authenticity is super important.
We need instrumentals with current-sounding production, excellent mixes, and quality writing.
Please send well-produced Indie Folk/Americana Instrumentals with captivating arrangements, engaging motifs, and an overall uplifting sound and vibe.
Your submissions should be at least 2 minutes in length and no longer than 4 minutes.
Broadcast Quality is needed.
Therefore, IMHO to be in with a chance of a forward the track needs to be at least 2mins long, have a short or no intro, then develop nicely with a great arrangement, and be mixed well with more sheen and polish to a competitive level.

I hope some of these comments help, and with a bit more work I believe you can make a worthy submission from what you have.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

brianvegas

Post by brianvegas » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate you kind folks for it!
Here's a new version based on the suggestions and the points from the posting that I missed.
Thanks again!!!! <3

https://soundcloud.com/brian-vegas-1/bl ... QtXALSQIpN

**Also updated in the main thread to avoid scrolling**

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:32 pm

Hi again Brian, I know this is not easy but attention to detail is everything in making these tracks. You now have a better intro and the mix level is somewhat better, but in lifting the tremolo guitar it now dominates the mix. However, other things keep popping up that I think you intended to be the lead, so its a bit confusing which instrument is demanding attention. If you listen to the ref tracks (and any other commercial production) there's something taking the limelight while everything else supports it. Imagine a great band doing a gig, where you know who's the main singer or who's playing lead, whilst the rhythm sits back to lends momentum, the bass holds down the low end without getting in the way, etc, so although everyone has their own individual great sound they're playing with sensitivity for the other members of the band to produce a cohesive overall experience. If you approach the mix in that way you should be able to make it sound like all the parts are being played at the same time in the same room. As before, some of the parts still need some sonic polish to get a more attractive sound with no audible edit points etc. The ending is now less abrupt and sounds more composed, but its a little untidy in the final ring-out with parts ending sharply at different times. Again, you wouldn't hear that in commercial tracks.

So, well done for taking some steps forward, but I would still suggest being almost forensic when listening to all the individual parts and their transitions too, then how they all 'sit' together at every point in the arrangement, and finally how they fade out. For me, the balance is out, the piano might be a little dark, there's an occasional nice bright guitar part that's barely audible, and things are pretty dry so some nice room reverb could help sweeten some of the parts (like the arp acoustic guitar). Maybe you don't even need some of the parts, and might be able to sharpen up the arrangement so the chord sequence fresh by simplifying what's playing at any particular time as you bring the different layers in and out. Make sure every part earns its place by adding something good to the mix without cluttering it. If it doesn't then mute it.

Sorry if that's a lot work on but I hope at least some of it helps. Its not an overnight process finding ways to get such things right but its all do-able with some critical listening. Good luck :).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

brianvegas

Post by brianvegas » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:03 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:32 pm
Hi again Brian, I know this is not easy but attention to detail is everything in making these tracks. You now have a better intro and the mix level is somewhat better, but in lifting the tremolo guitar it now dominates the mix. However, other things keep popping up that I think you intended to be the lead, so its a bit confusing which instrument is demanding attention. If you listen to the ref tracks (and any other commercial production) there's something taking the limelight while everything else supports it. Imagine a great band doing a gig, where you know who's the main singer or who's playing lead, whilst the rhythm sits back to lends momentum, the bass holds down the low end without getting in the way, etc, so although everyone has their own individual great sound they're playing with sensitivity for the other members of the band to produce a cohesive overall experience. If you approach the mix in that way you should be able to make it sound like all the parts are being played at the same time in the same room. As before, some of the parts still need some sonic polish to get a more attractive sound with no audible edit points etc. The ending is now less abrupt and sounds more composed, but its a little untidy in the final ring-out with parts ending sharply at different times. Again, you wouldn't hear that in commercial tracks.

So, well done for taking some steps forward, but I would still suggest being almost forensic when listening to all the individual parts and their transitions too, then how they all 'sit' together at every point in the arrangement, and finally how they fade out. For me, the balance is out, the piano might be a little dark, there's an occasional nice bright guitar part that's barely audible, and things are pretty dry so some nice room reverb could help sweeten some of the parts (like the arp acoustic guitar). Maybe you don't even need some of the parts, and might be able to sharpen up the arrangement so the chord sequence fresh by simplifying what's playing at any particular time as you bring the different layers in and out. Make sure every part earns its place by adding something good to the mix without cluttering it. If it doesn't then mute it.

Sorry if that's a lot work on but I hope at least some of it helps. Its not an overnight process finding ways to get such things right but its all do-able with some critical listening. Good luck :).

That was a ton of great insight and tips! Thank you.
Updated version attached :)

https://soundcloud.com/brian-vegas-1/bl ... Ff8jYnojwC

Also updated in the main thread!