Re: Feedback On My Mix And Production

Post by FreddieK » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:10 am

JayJayStudios wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:05 am
FreddieK wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:53 pm
JayJayStudios wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:06 pm
Haven't read (and seen) the listing, so I don't know if they for example liked a more modern sound or an original vintage Eagles vibe.

Independent of that I think it sounds great. Nothing to complain about to be honest. Obviously it doesn't have quite the tapey and warm vintage feel of the original, but honestly it doesn't need to have that!

Only thing I would improve in your version and interpretation, but that is just a matter of taste, not a matter of fact:
- 1:40 you're drums are doing weird stuff. kick is placed wrongly and it seems to be a cut/jump (I guess you used MIDI drums, and there happened some misplacement)
- the panning on the left guitar is to heavy for my taste, also a bit to much reverb
- some high end sheen on the vocals are missing (maybe try a pultec top end boost, classy)
- some mouth clicks are too loud for my taste (test out the rx10 mouth-declicker)
- tambourine is too brittle for me
- overally to much reverb IMHO

Cheers, all in all a great production, mate

Thanks JayJay !!!
Man you have some great Ears! Exactly the advice I'm looking for!
There"s Thousands of decisions to be make when doing this stuff and after a while I get glazed over Ha!
Man you're right ... @ 1:40 the Toontrack Kick drum was off ... I forgot to fix it before I Bounced it .... Thanks!
Definitely will fix your suggestions! Amazing to be on this forum with great talent and get some Pro Coaching!
I'm always seeking to get better! Thanks for taking the time to help me do that!
Curious as to what monitors or headphones your using? Thanks FreddieK :D
You're welcome mate!
Also thanks @WSAO ;)

Yeah it already sounds better! Drums fixed, you did some solid changes to the mix etc.
The tambourine is still to brittle for my taste, but man you're 99% there ;)

keep on going!

edit: ah yeah about the monitors and headphones: There are thousands of good ones out there. Learn your system is way more important in my opinion. Also treating the room and your environment. Apart from that I use KRK VXT8 and the sennheisers hd-650 with sonarworks. I'm pretty happy with it. But there are also good speakers out there from Neumann. Neutral and flat as hell. If your room is good, you're gonna be happy with them ;)

Just look out for systems (speakers and HPs) that deviate too much from the flat curve. And if they do, be aware of that! A little bass boost don't hurt, but just know that you have that conciously
JayJay, I really do appreciate your feedback and advice ...
Looks like you may be in Germany...
Amazing that someone halfway around the world can reach out and help some one like me :D
I hope because of your reaching out to help others brings Good Karma your way!
I listened to your tracks, Great work my friend! I'm a Fan! :D
Keep making that good music! Cheers Mate! :D :D :D

JayJayStudios
Active
Active

Post by JayJayStudios » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:11 pm

FreddieK wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:10 am
JayJayStudios wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:05 am
FreddieK wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:53 pm

Thanks JayJay !!!
Man you have some great Ears! Exactly the advice I'm looking for!
There"s Thousands of decisions to be make when doing this stuff and after a while I get glazed over Ha!
Man you're right ... @ 1:40 the Toontrack Kick drum was off ... I forgot to fix it before I Bounced it .... Thanks!
Definitely will fix your suggestions! Amazing to be on this forum with great talent and get some Pro Coaching!
I'm always seeking to get better! Thanks for taking the time to help me do that!
Curious as to what monitors or headphones your using? Thanks FreddieK :D
You're welcome mate!
Also thanks @WSAO ;)

Yeah it already sounds better! Drums fixed, you did some solid changes to the mix etc.
The tambourine is still to brittle for my taste, but man you're 99% there ;)

keep on going!

edit: ah yeah about the monitors and headphones: There are thousands of good ones out there. Learn your system is way more important in my opinion. Also treating the room and your environment. Apart from that I use KRK VXT8 and the sennheisers hd-650 with sonarworks. I'm pretty happy with it. But there are also good speakers out there from Neumann. Neutral and flat as hell. If your room is good, you're gonna be happy with them ;)

Just look out for systems (speakers and HPs) that deviate too much from the flat curve. And if they do, be aware of that! A little bass boost don't hurt, but just know that you have that conciously
JayJay, I really do appreciate your feedback and advice ...
Looks like you may be in Germany...
Amazing that someone halfway around the world can reach out and help some one like me :D
I hope because of your reaching out to help others brings Good Karma your way!
I listened to your tracks, Great work my friend! I'm a Fan! :D
Keep making that good music! Cheers Mate! :D :D :D
Thanks so much man!

I will also follow you on taxi. What I heard also a fan of yours hehe :D

likewise man! Keep the ball rolling, recently read here on the taxi forum the trick is to compose faster than you decompose. Love that advice hahaha

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:07 pm

Since some mentioned the original listing, just thought I'd say that it asked for a "reimagined" version - nothing about sticking close to the original in production/mix/etc.

https://www.taxi.com/listings/S240201EZ

COVER Versions of the classic hit song, "PEACEFUL EASY FEELING" with Male, Female or Duet Vocals are needed for an for an (up to) $3,000, Direct-to-Client placement for an Ad Campaign. The song will be used in online and in-store promotion for a new Boutique Brand.

This Company is looking for Covers of the Song "Peaceful Easy Feeling."

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Unfortunately, we're unable to post the name of the original artist or a reference link to the original version, but yes, we mean THAT version by THOSE guys! ;)

Quoting the Client: "We're looking for a Cover Version of "Peaceful Easy Feeling" that reimagines the original while maintaining recognizability. The chorus is the most important section of the song, but a full version is needed. Male Vocals or Male/Female Duets are preferred, but Female Vocals are okay as well."

Please submit Covers of "Peaceful Easy Feeling" that are easily recognizable (it's NOT advisable to change the lyric or melody), but still offer a fresh, unique take on the original. Please make sure that any virtual instruments or samples you use are high-quality and realistic. Cool vocals that help grab listeners' attention while maintaining the peaceful easy feeling conveyed in the song could serve you well.