Feedback on my song and critique.

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Caleb

Feedback on my song and critique.

Post by Caleb » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:27 pm

Hello,
I'm new to Taxi and the forums. Ive been here about a month and have already received a great education with all of the writing I've been doing, and the critiques I've received. I usually find them very helpful.
I made a song for a hybrid trailer style request and I'm not sure what I can glean from the critique. I was hoping some members with some experience could let me know their opinions on my song and the critique. I think my song sounds very much like the style of the first song reference they gave in the request.
Any feedback from some experienced members would be greatly appreciated. I will try to paste the request and critique and my song here.
Thanks to all that respond,
Caleb

Listing
My song "A Passed Life"
https://www.taxi.com/my/submissions/20466635/critique#

Pvgeldrop
Active
Active

Re: Feedback on my song and critique.

Post by Pvgeldrop » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:26 pm

Hi Caleb,

Welcome to Taxi, I hope you'll find the forums useful!
Unfortunately, we can't access the critique, please post the critique in full text in your post so we can take a look at that.

Best wishes,

Paul

Caleb

Re: Feedback on my song and critique.

Post by Caleb » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:54 am

Sorry about that,
I thought the link to my critique would work.
Do the other links work?

Here is the listing
TRAILER-Style INSTRUMENTALS with Lots of Emotion and BIG BUILDS are needed by a very successful boutique Music Library that's distributed by Universal and has tons of credits in Big Films, Countless TV Shows, and Commercials!

Quoting the Library's CEO: "We're looking for Instrumentals with a building structure that starts subtle and grows into a big, epic resolution. That said, each Instrumental should have one consistent motif and always stay very underscore-friendly, with relatively subtle use of melody. Rather, your arrangements should keep the pieces interesting by creating what we call 'sound substance' - sound tinkering, layering, development within existing elements (e.g. percussion), etc. So, the development should happen through the arrangement and the production and NOT by adding additional harmonic elements. Style-wise, your tracks should be much like trailer Instrumentals based on the sections and build, but with a clear hybrid approach and not overly orchestral/classical in instrumentation (but also not getting synth-y). Building, epic themes with a cinematic feel and a hybrid approach are what we want to hear."

Please submit well-crafted Trailer-style Instrumentals with an epic feel that could draw the listener in and connect them to what's happening on-screen. Your submissions should have captivating motifs and dynamic arrangements with 3 "acts" that build to a climactic ending like most modern movie trailers. Cinematic Instrumentation that's in the general stylistic ballpark of the references will work best.

All submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Good edit points and non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are required. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

The question I have about the critique is that I don’t hear a big emotional difference in the cord progression or feel on the first reference song and my song. I’m hoping someone can point out what I’m not hearing.

Here is the link to the reference songs
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yknzmslvyvv9 ... IsqQa?dl=0

Here is my song again
https://www.taxi.com/members/tCiBLOgJQI ... assed-life

Here’s what the screener said

What I like most about this song
Nice build as this cue progresses.

I think you could improve this song by
The idea of a steady motif is correct, but the overall down emotional tone is not what we see in trailers.

I returned or forwarded this song because
Trailers are just long ads, we need to get the audience engaged with the idea of seeing the advertised film (product). So upbeat, adventurous, suspenseful would be the idea, like we heard in the examples sent buy the client.

None of the boxes below on the additional items were checked other than the return button.
Thanks for taking the time to read this, I appreciate any feedback.