Feedback on Retrowave needed

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Feedback on Retrowave needed

Post by OwenGrech » Thu May 20, 2021 9:30 am

I am shooting for the Retrowave listing and thought I could use your feedback to see if I am going in the right direction. A couple of points:

a) Title is a working title :)
b) I know there is a long and unnecessary tail at the end of the track which I will trim during mastering

Here is the listing:

Several RETROWAVE INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by an extremely busy Music Library with a tremendously long list of killer placements in Hit TV Shows!

This Library is on the hunt for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that are in the general stylistic ballpark of these references we got directly from them:

"End Game" by Droid Bishop

"America Online" by The Midnight

"Spectral Engram" by Bit Funk & Jason Gaffner

"Sunlight" by Krosia

Please send well-produced Retrowave Instrumental Cues with solid rhythms, catchy hooks, and super cool, retro-inspired Electronic instrumentation. Craft your Cues around a singular motif and mood, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Please be sure that your production and all virtual instruments and samples you use are high-quality and fresh.

TAXI Tip: Retro-inspired does NOT mean dated – your submissions should not sound like they came straight off of a Giorgio Moroder record. Take those nostalgic sounds and pair them with modern production – that's what this Library is looking for!

All submissions should be about 90 seconds to 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are strongly recommended. Do NOT copy the referenced tracks in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split all upfront sync fees 50/50. You’ll keep 100% of the Writer’s share and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is not already signed with other Libraries or Catalogs. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Wednesday, June 2nd, 2021. TAXI # S210602RW
TAXI # S210602RW

and here is my track:

https://soundcloud.com/user-981810763/r ... sIA1rIHO5m

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Feedback on Retrowave needed

Post by DBarnett » Fri May 21, 2021 5:22 am

Hey Owen,
This is not my genre but I think it has the sound and vibe :) I try to make my edit points have some "space" between sections but that may not be needed here, again not my genre
I don't see a problem with the long tail tail but I would add about :01 sec at the start
Good job man!

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Post by OwenGrech » Fri May 21, 2021 9:30 am

DBarnett wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 5:22 am
Hey Owen,
This is not my genre but I think it has the sound and vibe :) I try to make my edit points have some "space" between sections but that may not be needed here, again not my genre
I don't see a problem with the long tail tail but I would add about :01 sec at the start
Good job man!
Hey Dave thanks for your feedback!

Good idea regarding the intro especially since I am noticing that soundcloud seems to chop some audio at the start (not sure about this, could be my crazy internet connection !)
Thanks for pointing out the spaces between edit points. I tried some more obvious short stops but sometimes I feel like it kills the groove that way - need to find that magic balance between those two - gotta keep trying I guess :)

That tail probably didn't bother you since you are used to gators ;) haha just joking my friend thanks once again for the insight

take care
owen

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DBarnett » Fri May 21, 2021 9:38 am

OwenGrech wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:30 am
DBarnett wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 5:22 am
Hey Owen,
Good job man!
Hey Dave thanks for your feedback!

Good idea regarding the intro especially since I am noticing that soundcloud seems to chop some audio at the start (not sure about this, could be my crazy internet connection !)
Thanks for pointing out the spaces between edit points. I tried some more obvious short stops but sometimes I feel like it kills the groove that way - need to find that magic balance between those two - gotta keep trying I guess :)

That tail probably didn't bother you since you are used to gators ;) haha just joking my friend thanks once again for the insight

take care
owen
Haha @ Gator Tails :lol: I like it!
I agree, a complete stop could kill the groove, maybe muting the "melody/top line" and letting the bed music float it out
Hopefully some of the others who are real good at this will jump in, again I think you're on the right track
Chomp Chomp :mrgreen:

BrianCoyne

Post by BrianCoyne » Fri May 21, 2021 8:52 pm

I'm just a guitar player, so I have no idea how you make those sounds, but I really liked it! Fun jam!!

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Post by OwenGrech » Fri May 21, 2021 10:32 pm

[/quote]
Haha @ Gator Tails :lol: I like it!
I agree, a complete stop could kill the groove, maybe muting the "melody/top line" and letting the bed music float it out
Hopefully some of the others who are real good at this will jump in, again I think you're on the right track
Chomp Chomp :mrgreen:
[/quote]

loool on the Chomp Chomp :D :D
Actually muting the melody line might allow me to do just that!
Thank you Dave and keep them gators well fed :)
take care brother
owen

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Post by OwenGrech » Fri May 21, 2021 10:34 pm

BrianCoyne wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 8:52 pm
I'm just a guitar player, so I have no idea how you make those sounds, but I really liked it! Fun jam!!
Hey Brian thanks and glad you like it :)

I am originally a guitar player too but also love electronic music - actually one of the references here has a little guitar tapping lick - maybe I will try to sneak something like that in another track :)

tc
owen

AudiniAudio
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AudiniAudio » Sat May 22, 2021 2:11 am

Good for night club scene in Blade Runner. Look, a replicant...

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Post by OwenGrech » Sat May 22, 2021 7:36 am

AudiniAudio wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 2:11 am
Good for night club scene in Blade Runner. Look, a replicant...
haha shoot to kill :)

AudiniAudio
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AudiniAudio » Sun May 23, 2021 4:53 pm

No, she's too pretty. Marry her instead.