Feedback on Returned track (Chillwave Listing - Y170128CW)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

uvwave

Feedback on Returned track (Chillwave Listing - Y170128CW)

Post by uvwave » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:44 am

Hello! Would like to ask for some feedback about the reasons my track was returned for the Chillwave listing Y170128CW. The comments of the screener are:

"This piece lacks the drama and mystery needed to support this sequence. Too epic feeling."

Though I agree with the "too epic" note I must say that one of the references contained a track (Small Black - No Stranger) that has almost a "uplift" vibe, even though the instrumental bit has an overall similar vibe with the other examples the melody takes the song to a different direction in comparison with the other examples. Overall I tried to blend the elements of all the references to one track, especially on the synths & tones. My main reference for this composition was “Feel It All Around” by Washed Out which was a song i really liked.

I approached the main "synth melody" based on what a vocal line will do, maybe that was a mistake and I will be better letting the song only with the background elements of the arrangement? Maybe this was the "too epic" feeling the screener thought of?

The listing wasn't requesting "drama" and/or "mystery" by the way. Also I would like to know if this track has potential for future submissions on maybe another ballpark. All feedback is greatly appreciated, so I can learn & improve for future opportunities. Many thanks for all this great community of talented composers & musicians, I am a new Taxi member and I improved and learned a lot on the last three months.

My track: "Winds Of Tomorrow" (soundcloud)
https://soundcloud.com/asuvw/winds-of-tomorrow/s-gCrTz

Best regards!

Here's the listing in question:
New Listing Dear Passengers,

We know you guys have a ton of great Chillwave because we’ve heard it! Got it? Send it! We’ve got a Music Supervisor who needs it, and probably lots of it for this new TV series!

CHILLWAVE INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed for multiple $1,500, Direct-to-Music Supervisor, NON-Exclusive placements in a new Sci-Fi Series done by the same producers as the hit TV show, Mr. Robot. They’re looking for Smooth, Down-To-Mid-Tempo Instrumental Cues that could be heard on a playlist with artists like (but not limited to), Washed Out, Blackbird Blackbird, Small Black, etc., etc., etc. Please listen to the following references to get yourself in the general wheelhouse and range of what they need:

“Feel It All Around” by Washed Out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DkslcOhytU

“Blurred Lines” by Blackbird Blackbird
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vosGQ_52zpM

“No Stranger” by Small Black
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrkXqc1Wi2o

Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumentals only for this pitch.
Please submit current-sounding, ambient, atmospheric Chillwave Cues with a laid-back drum groove and lots of cool reverb on your synths. Speaking of synths: they should be luscious and celestial with appealing melodies. Build your Cue around a central melodic theme while layering additional instruments in and out as your Cue progresses to keep it from sounding too repetitive or linear. Avoid anything overly busy or frenetic, as it could distract from a scene’s dialog. As is often the case, simple is better, and creating an easy-to-identify mood is best!

Your submissions should be at least 2 minutes long. Easy edit points and Non-Faded/Buttoned/Stinger endings will work best for this pitch. Do NOT copy or rip off the referenced songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine).

The estimated license fees for these placements are $1,500, depending on the ultimate use. This is a Non-Exclusive, Direct-to-Music Supervisor pitch. You'll get 100% of the sync fee and 100% of any applicable performance royalties. Plus, you'll also keep 100% of your Publishing and Master ownership. You need to own or control your Master and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit 1-3 Instrumental Cues online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a yes/no basis with short critiques, and must be received no later than 11:59PM (PST), on Saturday, January 28th, 2017. TAXI #Y170128CW

EvanLainhart
Active
Active

Re: Feedback on Returned track (Chillwave Listing - Y170128CW)

Post by EvanLainhart » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:29 pm

I think this trck certainly has potential. It might need a few tweaks here and there. I think if you up the tempo a little, it feels a little "heavy" to me at the current tempo. maybe brighten up the mix a little with some e.q. Don't pitch it all together. Its a good track.
Evan

uvwave

Re: Feedback on Returned track (Chillwave Listing - Y170128CW)

Post by uvwave » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:05 pm

EvanLainhart wrote:I think this trck certainly has potential. It might need a few tweaks here and there. I think if you up the tempo a little, it feels a little "heavy" to me at the current tempo. maybe brighten up the mix a little with some e.q. Don't pitch it all together. Its a good track.
Evan
Many thanks for your notes & impressions. It sure helps a lot to get another perspective about the track. Best regards!