We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Feedback on rock song UPDATE

Post by Casey H » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:21 am

https://s.disco.ac/azcihmptqjwj

Hey rock guys & gals (and anyone else). I'd like to get some feedback on this production/mix, primarily the vocal. I'm way too close to it for any objectivity. One thing I notice listening now is the vocal in verse 1 when the music is sparse is a bit hot. But other than that, whatcha got, rockers?

UPDATE:
New mix up at same link. Vocal level in verse 1 and the rest of song better? My pitch ear is so-so. How's the pitch on the word "near" in the choruses? Any general mix feedback?

Thanks!
Last edited by Casey H on Mon May 02, 2022 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

eandersonmusic
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Feedback on rock song

Post by eandersonmusic » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:34 am

Hey Casey!
I think the guitar sound is the biggest issue. It's too small, boxy and weak sounding. I feel it needs to be doubled, maybe tripled. This will help balance out the rest of the mix, and can be done without recording more gtr tracks by duplicating what you already have and just giving it different treatment (effects). The vocals are a bit loud like you said, but they sound good. The drums aren't balanced (level/mix wise) in my opinion either, I dont really hear anything except kick and snare. Hope this helps..
Peace out buddy!
-erik
Erik Anderson ~ Composer, Producer and Musician
Website • https://www.eandersonmusic.com
Taxi page • https://www.taxi.com/members/erikanderson
Spotify • https://open.spotify.com/artist/78FpvfK ... 0MClpl1zqA

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Post by OwenGrech » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:16 am

Hey Casey,

First off GREAT SONG - I am already singing the chorus the second time around :) Great job!

I agree with you on the vocals, especially in the beginning as you said but even as the band comes in, at times it seems that it needs that little bit of glue with the rest of the band as right now it feels a tiny bit disjointed in some places for example the word "near" in the chorus could use a little more compression (or plain volume automation) in my opinion.

Re the guitar issue mentioned I don't think it needs more guitars as if my ears are not fooling me I can hear 2 different performances and tones right from the beginning with even more bits and pieces as the song moves on. Having said that, it might not hurt to pump up the volume half a db in the chorus but it depends on how guitar heavy you want the mix to sound and keep in mind that once you glue the vocals in, the guitars will sound louder without you ever touching the volume knob. One trick that sometimes seem to work is to get the guitars a tad louder but then put a multiband compressor sidechained to the vocals so that when the vocals come in, the guitars will drop volume only in those specific frequencies that interfere with the vocals, making the vocals drop into place with the guitars wrapped around them so to speak. From my experience this is easier said than done though as sometimes I have used them incorrectly and made the mix worse, but that's my fault and not the multiband :) One other idea might be to pump up the volume on specific phrases, like for example those double stops that come in after the first chorus (and maybe even during the lick that follows).

Despite all of the above( and after about 5 or 6 spins) I think it already sounds good enough as it is - I could be biased though because in the process I became a fan now so take my comments with a grain of salt :)

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:41 pm

Hey Yeah, I'm a fan too! :D

My two cents is yep, the vocal is a tad too hot in the first vs.

Second but maybe more importantly IMHO it's the "near". It sounds like it could be tuned or beefed up? I dunno. It should sound strong. Instead of staying on the G note for 2 beats drop down to the E on the 2nd with a bit of vibrato bravado! :idea:

I can hear a bit of continuous rumble in the low end. It may have something to do with comments about the GTRs sounding muddy?

It's pretty cool though.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Feedback on rock song UPDATE

Post by Casey H » Mon May 02, 2022 6:56 am

New mix up at same link. Vocal level in verse 1 and the rest of song better? My pitch ear is so-so. How's the pitch on the word "near" in the choruses? Any general mix feedback? :D

Repeat of link: https://s.disco.ac/azcihmptqjwj

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Mon May 02, 2022 9:20 pm

:) +1

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Post by OwenGrech » Wed May 04, 2022 11:48 am

I think the intro sounds more balanced now.

The only thing that is a little distracting to my ears is that I hear a bit too much distortion on the vocals (which I don't recall from the previous mix) but that may be subject to taste.

Once again I like this song.