We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Feedback Please Deadline Close

Post by johndalenow » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:31 am

https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... se/s-J99qh

CONTEMPORARY TRAP-Style INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a fast-growing European Music Library that's building a new catalog for Film, TV, and Commercial placements. They were referred to us by another company that loves the music they are getting from TAXI's members.

They want Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the following references:

WARNING: Some of the references contain graphic and explicit lyrics. Listener discretion is advised.

"Baby” by Quality Control, Lil Baby, & DaBaby

"Crushed Up” by Future

“Bad Bad Bad” by Young Thug ft. Lil Baby

Although the references have vocals, please submit instrumental Cues only for this pitch.

The client needs super modern, current-sounding, Trap Instrumental Cues with lots of attitude. Structure your submissions around a central melodic idea, while adding and subtracting layers of instrumentation as they progress to create dynamics, interest, and forward momentum. Your Instrumental Cues should use heavy, speaker-knocking drums and high-quality virtual instrumentation.

Submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do not copy the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a guide for tempo, tone, and vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so please be sure the Instrumental Cues you pitch for this opportunity are NOT already signed with other Companies or Catalogs. Any sync fees will be split 50/50 with the Company. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher's share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you'd like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by a TAXI screener. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Wednesday, January 22nd, 2020. TAXI # S200122TR

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Feedback Please Deadline Close

Post by VanderBoegh » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:55 am

Hey John, I'm not sure how to help on this one or what to say exactly, other than it ain't trap.....

The first 15 seconds or so give me a definite 80's vibe, but then there are some 70's SFX sprinkled in, and then at :25 there's an odd new-age'y scale run, and then at :53 there's something that just kinda sounds like a Chinese restaurant.

There aren't any 808's in here, or trap-sounding drums, or anything that makes it sound like it could be modern trap.

Not to sound entirely negative here.... I just point all of this out to say that you're a long ways from hitting the target. I could be tweaked to get there, or maybe the best bet at this point is to just start something new from scratch.

This video might help you a little bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av4NhUWQ-24&t=175s

~~Matt

JoeCurran
Active
Active

Post by JoeCurran » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:04 am

Hi John

I was trying to give some comments but I’m trying to get this style down at the moment myself so I could have sent you off in the wrong direction.
I’m starting to get my head round the use of the kick, hats , 808 and snare but being mainly blues and rock guitar based for a few years it felt like forcing a round peg into a square hole.

I found the article below a good place to start.

https://cymatics.fm/blogs/production/ho ... trap-music

They have some useful sample loops but be careful how they are used as the footprint can be picked up with streaming sites if they have been used elsewhere and too prominent.

Tons of you tube stuff on mixing low end which I struggled (ing) with a bit. side compression etc.
It’s not the easiest style to produce but I find the techniques used can be carried over and quite fun messing around with.

tons of listings for this style so worth persevering with.

All the best.

Joe

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:03 pm

Matt,

Thanks for your help. Because I'm so far away from where I want to be, could you please listen to this 15 second beat construction, that I made for your ears in particular, and tell me what you hear?

Best!

John Dale

https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... at/s-3nLr4

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:17 pm

Hey John, those drum sounds are just not trap.... sorry man, but these sound like you might have gotten them from a dubstep pack?

The good news is that for about $10-$30, you can get a bunch of trap drum one-shots via any of the big sound libraries. Try checking out Prime Loops, Loopmasters, Big Fish Audio, Modern Producers, etc and see what you can find.

The sound of your samples will always be a make-or-break, especially when trying to do something sleek and current and niche.

~~Matt

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:24 pm

Thanks, Matt. Would you say that Battery 4 might be a little out-dated?

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:27 pm

I wouldn't know, lol. I've never used Battery!

~~Matt