Feedback please

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

KarenBraysher

Re: Feedback please

Post by KarenBraysher » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:18 pm

Hi Andy
Thank you for your long feedback which is very useful.

In fact I am going through this process with my piece right now, I have stripped it back completely. My handmade Spanish guitar is of high quality cost £900 and I absolutely love it, it is new which means I am getting used to it.

This is what I am doing so far, moved the chords to the relative minor which is much more encouraging, playing rhythm on the Spanish guitar this time, and instead of crazy castanets I am going to use hand claps.

There will just be the minimum to let the guitar speak for itself. Mix with emotion building the track. I will let you hear it when finished, I am not sure I will hit the deadline though.

Karen
:idea: “It’s unhealthy to bottle up feelings”

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:36 am

Hey Andy, I also appreciate your taking the time to write that-- fantastic window to the proper thought process as always.

I'm also a guitarist and I've gone round and round trying to get a natural recording tone with acoustic guitar. I absolutely hate the sound of piezo pickups. I have a talented guitarist/singer buddy who gigs constantly-- his main guitar is an Australian Cole Clark and I love the pickup system in it-- it has some combo of an internal mic and piezo and something else. His live tone is really natural sounding. Awesome instrument.

JuanMacias
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by JuanMacias » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:00 am

What a great feedback from Andy. A lot to learn from this!!
Thank you very much.

Juan

KennyWayneBuffalo
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by KennyWayneBuffalo » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:50 pm

Ted wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:36 am
Hey Andy, I also appreciate your taking the time to write that-- fantastic window to the proper thought process as always.

I'm also a guitarist and I've gone round and round trying to get a natural recording tone with acoustic guitar. I absolutely hate the sound of piezo pickups. I have a talented guitarist/singer buddy who gigs constantly-- his main guitar is an Australian Cole Clark and I love the pickup system in it-- it has some combo of an internal mic and piezo and something else. His live tone is really natural sounding. Awesome instrument.
I find the pickups lose the acoustic sound of the guitar in many cases. I was trying an SM57, which many people recommend for acoustic instruments, but didn't work all that well for me. I bought a Behringer C1 microphone on sale for ridiculously cheap, and it records acoustic guitars really well for me. I wish I had known that before.
Ken

KennyWayneBuffalo
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by KennyWayneBuffalo » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:55 pm

I listened to this again, and it sounds like the backing guitar is steel stringed, is that right? I would think it might be better to use nylon stringed guitars for both parts, just my opinion. The other thing that sticks out to me is at the break, coming back from the break seems to make the compressor really noticeable. Nice track, though. The lead guitar sounds really good, and the composition is good.
Ken

KarenBraysher

Post by KarenBraysher » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:39 pm

Hey Kenny

Thank you so much for valued feedback.

You are right in all that you are saying here, in fact I am being ruthless at present as Andy suggested and spending hours getting this whole thing right.

I have re-recorded supporting guitar on the nylon strung, in various styles, to hold the lead guitar. Some double bass with a simple line towards the end with Cello.

Tomorrow I will get on with real hand claps as the castenets were not good (only real ones will work I feel, and not enough time to learn them.

I am keeping it simple, as an emotional Spanish cue. I felt the reference tracks were difficult to imagine somehow, my track is real and is Spanish. I live in hope.

Cheers Karen

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:08 pm

Andy's post is a stellar example of the value this forum provides. He is a legend around here.

This is the way. ;)

PC
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

KarenBraysher

Post by KarenBraysher » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:11 pm

Hi Paul

Yes you are right, I am so pleased I asked you guys for feedback Andy left such a detailed post I could follow and that along with all others has taken me on a long journey with the piece.
I hope it will emerge in time for the deadline.
Karen

KarenBraysher

Post by KarenBraysher » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:20 pm

Hi Andy

I have done more work on this as the deadline is getting near here is the revision.

https://www.bandlab.com/karen_braysher/ ... 50f280467f

Karen

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:39 pm

I listened. Sent you a PM.