We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Feedback Request: Americana

Post by johnnyrowing » Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:36 pm

Hi Casey and Matt,
Thanks for the replies. All that is below is not meant to be one of those "blast Taxi" kind of postings we see from time-to-time. :) I respect Taxi, its screeners, and members, etc. :) I am trying to share with some level of candor that might bear fruit and help me to see what I am not seeing and have a little fun. :)

So, I guess I'm being selfish. But nobody else can ask on my behalf. So, I'll advocate a bit for myself.

S221204DA is the listing code
I wonder if this link will help. It is from the day that the forwards were posted - https://blog.taxi.com/forward/120622/

I modeled my submission mostly after the Tim Kelly reference. I actually spent a few days listening to "Ride Through the Rain" album and tried to let that inspire my approach/vibe. Plus, that's a great album. Anyhow, down below the post shall go. I'm trying to have a little fun here. So, please don't take it too serious. I got little sleep last night. Tomorrow I will officially blame bleariness for this post.

Matt,
Americana Collab
I'd be a fool to pass up on an opportunity to collab with you. If I collab with you, I may still be a fool but . . . it won't be your fault. It is an honor. So, please, yes - let's take a crack at one of these Americana listings. I actually wrote 3 for this listing but didn't have the time to produce the last one. Plus, I thought it was a little slow. :) So, I could send you the "demo" version of that track or rough it up a bit and send it. Or, if desired, we could start a fresh track. We'll PM this portion of the conversation.

Prom Analogy
Well, I can say this, as you'll see below, I do get #374 a bunch. :) A bunch. And just like in High School no one wants to go to Prom with me and, worse, #374 is hogging all the dates. Great dancer #374. If 374 can, I guess they might as well. :)

Casey's "Lenient" Comment
Casey, #374 and leniency has not been my experience. Ha! :) As you are having success, my man, maybe you'd be uniquely situated to spot the flaws in my writing/production/etc.? Your stuff is getting through and mine is not. Any specific thoughts?

Jordan Analogy - 24 of 49 - 100% Returns
I have had #374 screen 24 of my last 49 submissions - ALL returned. So, 374 listens to nearly 50% of my general submissions and returns 100%. That's not to say screener #374 is wrong. Some of those were definitely "return worthy". :) So, for my part, I definitely feel like I'm playing pick-up basketball and #374 is, at least, an NBA all-star. :) By the way, #374 seems so impersonal. Should we give 374 a name? Clark? Cheryl? Pat? I'll stick with 374 - perhaps that is the appellation that 374's friends use too. "Hey, #374 wanna come over for a backyard Bbq this weekend? You bet 556. Would you mind if I bring 19 with me?"

13 Returns from #374 in Americana - 100% Returns

My Americana struggle, my preferred genre, is real. :) I have submitted 14 times to Americana listings and . . . drummer roll please . . . #374 listened to 13 of them. 13 of my 14 Americana submissions screened by #374. So, about 93% of the time heard by #374 and returns 100% of the time.

Luckily, I did have one track that was not screened by #374 and it received both a forward and a contact/contract. So, I'm 1 for 1 - 100% with listener #434. "Where have you gone #434? Why do you no longer screen my tracks? Have I done something to offend? Please come back. Wanna have some Bbq?"

Study of Forwards for This Listing - Confusing
My tracks were returned for the Choruses and an improvement comment was given to also reduce lyrical repetition. There were 2 "Ari B Inger" tracks that were forwarded and . . . they definitely have lyrical repetition and definitely have pretty staid choruses. As near as I could tell the chorus for "Oh so, madly" is one line "Oh, so madly". Really probably a refrain not a standout chorus. The chorus for "Thats the Way She Was" is . . . "That's the way she was - That's the way she was - That's the way she was - That's the way she was". And, moreover, there is an outro from 2:54 to 3:32 where the only lyric is "That's the way she was" for about :38 straight seconds.

So, I'm left confused. If a more standout chorus and less repetition are problems with my track and a reason for return. How does that fit with these forwards?

With that said, I do really like those "Ari B. Inger" tracks. So, Ari, if you're on these forums - great work! :) I'm sure Ari knows it's great work because it is. No offense intended Mr. Inger. I'm not hatin'. Plus, that is a supercool picture alongside the song submissions. I don't have the words to describe or quite capture the vibe that your picture sends - cool - hip - carelessly caring? ABI, I can call you ABI now can't I - now that we're friends? I only mention the confusion with my return and its fit with your tracks due to the feedback I received from #374. I just listened to your other track "Rum Shaker" and gave it a comment just to let you know that I'm digging your way of doing what you do.

Writing to the Listings
As we write to the listings, we are often told to ask ourselves questions like: Would these tracks fit on a playlist with Tim Kelly? Are they heartbreak songs? Are they produced and performed well? Are they Americana? Admittedly, I may be too close to the project. I may lack the ear and art, etc. So, I 100% know I have holes in my knowledge and carry inadequacies. Nevertheless, I'm prone to say, "Yes" to all of those questions. :) So, I had hopes/expectations of forward(s) but those hopes are now thoroughly dashed. In stores now, "Thoroughly Dashed" the new album from one famous reindeer to you.

Higher Bar Listing
Higher bar listing? I have had this comment as an addendum in some of my returns - particularly from #374. I sure wish I could recognize "high-bar" from the listing wording itself. Where are the low-bar listings? That's more my jam. Anyhow, I do see the words "top-notch" in the listing. So, maybe that's the language that equates to "high-bar"? I've always seen that as a kind of boiler plate language for the listings. In fact, right now, there are 38 instances of the word "top-notch" on the "Submit Music" page. So, maybe until I start gaining steam, I should just avoid submitting to any listings with the word "top-notch"? That'd kind of stink though because the wide majority of listings have that language in them. Besides, I'm not intentionally trying to be "mid-notch". :) And when I did a search on the page for "mid-notch" I received no hits. Nor for "low-notch". What's a member to do? But, more importantly, what do I need to do to take my "mid" to "top"? How do I move up to the East side?

Custom Critique
There is no I in team but there is a plan in complaint (trademark - copyright - anyone wanna collab and use this line as the tag for the chorus)? Anyhow, I am probably going to reach out to #374 directly and try to get some more specific direction in a custom critique. That's my only real plan of action right now. That and stop weeping. I'm running out of Kleenex. Tomorrow. I'll stop crying tomorrow. My paper facial tissue supply can last one more day.

Anyhow, bottom line, I'd like to improve and start seeing some fruit from the labor. #374 holds the keys to the Cadillac right now. So, maybe they'll come pick me up, turn on the radio, take me on a countryside drive, and drop some pearls of wisdom "Now listen up Kid, here's the secret I learned a long time ago from the great [name withheld to protect anonymity]. THIS is how you write a REALLY great chorus. You start in the key of [information only for subscribers - follow this link to receive this one time sales offer] . . . . "

Of course, beyond the potential wisdom of #374, I'm open to feedback from folks on the board. That is actually why I posted here. Again, I realize that the requested dive may be too deep or it may be winter where you live. So, you'll have no desire to swim.

Closing
Thanks Matt - Casey - Douglas - Feaker - John

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. I know this took you time. I also know that there is a measure of vulnerability that comes in posting in a public forum like this.

Best wishes to all - feedback welcomed

Johnny R.

P.S. - I'll regret this post tomorrow (after my tears dry and I have no more Kleenex).
:)