Feedback Request: Anthemic Indie/Alt-Rock Instrumental

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Feedback Request: Anthemic Indie/Alt-Rock Instrumental

Post by DouglasKnight » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:26 am

Hi All -- I was thinking of submitting this track for the listing below, but not sure if it's got enough Indie/Alt elements. Any feedback is appreciated!

https://www.taxi.com/members/Gjdf7sdFR5 ... this-world

ANTHEMIC INDIE/ALT-ROCK INSTRUMENTAL CUES for SPORTS are needed by a seasoned Music Supervisor working on an upcoming project!

NOTE: This Music Supervisor is BRAND NEW to requesting music from TAXI. This is a great opportunity to create a new outlet for your music and begin a new relationship with an awesome music supervisor!

This Company is searching for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals that could be found on a playlist with the references below:

"Play with Fire" by WAR*HALL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrfCKCFbo-o

"Watch Me" by The Phantoms https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ_v2wkBt3k

"Rumble" by Zayde Wølf https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=999qAyOX038

Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumental Cues only for this pitch.

Please submit modern Indie/Alt-Rock Instrumentals brimming with anthemic energy that could get sports fans pumped up! Your submissions should have engaging motifs, driving rhythms, solid arrangements in the general style of the references, and plenty of bombastic vibes and swagger. Your production should be polished and any virtual instruments or samples you use should be high-quality and cutting-edge. Imagine the kind of music you'd hear in a sports recap on ESPN – give them that!

Your submissions should be about 90 seconds to 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Please do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

JonathanE
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Feedback Request: Anthemic Indie/Alt-Rock Instrumental

Post by JonathanE » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:07 am

It's sounding pretty rockin to me, Douglas. I find it is particularly closer to the 2nd and 3rd reference, more than the first. Does the first seem to sound a little more "indie"?

Regardless, seems pretty forwardable to me! Definitely within the range of those references.

I would be quite interested in hearing the reason it doesn't get forwarded, if you don't mind commenting here after the fact.
“He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying.”
https://www.taxi.com/members/jonathane
jonathan@earthenmusic.com

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:49 am

JonathanE wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:07 am
It's sounding pretty rockin to me, Douglas. I find it is particularly closer to the 2nd and 3rd reference, more than the first. Does the first seem to sound a little more "indie"?

Regardless, seems pretty forwardable to me! Definitely within the range of those references.

I would be quite interested in hearing the reason it doesn't get forwarded, if you don't mind commenting here after the fact.
Thanks for listening and commenting, Jonathan, much appreciated! I hope you're right about this one, but will reply either way. Thanks again! Doug

kregdurant
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kregdurant » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:06 pm

I think structurally and musically it's great and seems to fit the listing!
Audio wise i think it could benefit from a little more TLC. But this is just the engineer in me.

The guitars i would shoot for a different tone, currently its more of a bluesy tone, id use a more fuzz sound with the high end rolled off kind of like arctic monkeys "do i wanna know", and it feels a little amp simmy to me, and digital, but that may just be the upload quality.
Your bass and guitar tend to walk on each other a little, and there are some resonances and mud in there that could benefit from getting pulled out.
The kick and claps could benefit from some layering, but that stomp/kick and snare sound great. Splice has a great "Stomp Clap" library that is fantastic called "TS_Mammoth" id play with those and sprinkle them in. Not like an every beat thing but maybe one on the one another on the 3, just to add a little more production value to it.

Aside from "indie elements" i don't think theres really much to add without it getting cluttered Maybe a small synth bass with just a clap at one point for like 4 bars (like the phantoms reference) and then build it up and out. Maybe even that part just before the bit a 1:29
The synth you currently have seems a little dated around that area though, and doesn't seem necessary. And just for my own amusment, some horns with that lead would sound awesome.

But thats just my opinion, and i'm just a newbie to sync, so take it with a grain of salt because i'm a producer, still trying to produce for radio, not sync lol.

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:48 pm

kregdurant wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:06 pm
Audio wise i think it could benefit from a little more TLC. But this is just the engineer in me.

The guitars i would shoot for a different tone, currently its more of a bluesy tone, id use a more fuzz sound with the high end rolled off kind of like arctic monkeys "do i wanna know", and it feels a little amp simmy to me, and digital, but that may just be the upload quality.
Your bass and guitar tend to walk on each other a little, and there are some resonances and mud in there that could benefit from getting pulled out.
The kick and claps could benefit from some layering, but that stomp/kick and snare sound great. Splice has a great "Stomp Clap" library that is fantastic called "TS_Mammoth" id play with those and sprinkle them in. Not like an every beat thing but maybe one on the one another on the 3, just to add a little more production value to it.

Aside from "indie elements" i don't think theres really much to add without it getting cluttered Maybe a small synth bass with just a clap at one point for like 4 bars (like the phantoms reference) and then build it up and out. Maybe even that part just before the bit a 1:29
The synth you currently have seems a little dated around that area though, and doesn't seem necessary. And just for my own amusment, some horns with that lead would sound awesome.

But thats just my opinion, and i'm just a newbie to sync, so take it with a grain of salt because i'm a producer, still trying to produce for radio, not sync lol.
Hey Kreg -- thanks for the encouragement and detailed feedback; very much appreciated! I'm going to keep working on this and incorporate your excellent suggestions. I'm not a Splice user yet, so this gives me a good reason to join. Thanks again! Doug

kregdurant
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kregdurant » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:11 pm

DouglasKnight wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:48 pm
kregdurant wrote:

Hey Kreg -- thanks for the encouragement and detailed feedback; very much appreciated! I'm going to keep working on this and incorporate your excellent suggestions. I'm not a Splice user yet, so this gives me a good reason to join. Thanks again! Doug
Not a problem, if you end up uploading a rework, feel free to reply to this and share, love to hear it.

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:38 am

kregdurant wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:11 pm
DouglasKnight wrote:
kregdurant wrote:

Not a problem, if you end up uploading a rework, feel free to reply to this and share, love to hear it.
Thanks again for your help on this one, Kreg. Here's my final mastered version: https://www.taxi.com/members/Gjdf7sdFR5 ... -greatness

kregdurant
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kregdurant » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:34 am

DouglasKnight wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:38 am
kregdurant wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:11 pm
DouglasKnight wrote:

Thanks again for your help on this one, Kreg. Here's my final mastered version: https://www.taxi.com/members/Gjdf7sdFR5 ... -greatness
Fantastic! sounds great man!