Feedback Request: Folk/Pop Instrumental

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Feedback Request: Folk/Pop Instrumental

Post by DouglasKnight » Mon May 22, 2023 7:28 pm

What's up?! I'd really appreciate any feedback on this composition and mix for the listing below: https://www.taxi.com/members/Gjdf7sdFR5 ... at-sunrise

Listing: https://www.taxi.com/industry#listing-S230525SF

Thanks...
DK

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Feedback Request: Folk/Pop Instrumental

Post by Telefunkin » Mon May 22, 2023 11:55 pm

Top job all round Douglas!
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Tue May 23, 2023 11:20 am

Sounds great but looks like they want vocal songs, no?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue May 23, 2023 12:45 pm

eeoo wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:20 am
Sounds great but looks like they want vocal songs, no?
Hey Ethan
Nope. The listing says instrumentals. What are you reading or not reading over there? :lol:
Lots of CURRENT-Sounding FOLK/POP INSTRUMENTALS and/or INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by an International Music Library with lots of great placements in Film and TV....

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Tue May 23, 2023 5:21 pm

Doug,
Great tune, definitely BQ and well-produced. It has a real 'ensemble' feel, and I'm convinced that I'm listening to a band jamming. It's a 'keeper' ;)

But maybe for this listing, some changes (or a different approach) would be in order. Two of the tunes are at a much higher energy level than your track, which in contrast seems to float gently along. While the tempo may match the first ref well, the ref track has a lot of 16th-note motion that propels it forward. I'm not getting a sense of that insistent rhythm from your cue. Is that an issue? I can't say, but it's a commonality that (to my ears) all three ref tracks share.
Also - and I hesitate to mention it because my compositions have this problem and don't know a way around it - much of what makes this genre identifiable is the vocal timbre and delivery. Very hard to translate to an instrumental that really speaks to the quirkyness that this style delivers in spades. I don't have any suggestions because, as I mentioned, this is something that I am frustrated with when trying to emulate this style. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive to that.

Congrats, it's a lovely tune and you should be proud.
Alan

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Tue May 23, 2023 6:25 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 11:55 pm
Top job all round Douglas!
Hey, thanks a lot -- very much appreciated!

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Tue May 23, 2023 6:39 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 5:21 pm
Doug,
Great tune, definitely BQ and well-produced. It has a real 'ensemble' feel, and I'm convinced that I'm listening to a band jamming. It's a 'keeper' ;)

But maybe for this listing, some changes (or a different approach) would be in order. Two of the tunes are at a much higher energy level than your track, which in contrast seems to float gently along. While the tempo may match the first ref well, the ref track has a lot of 16th-note motion that propels it forward. I'm not getting a sense of that insistent rhythm from your cue. Is that an issue? I can't say, but it's a commonality that (to my ears) all three ref tracks share.
Also - and I hesitate to mention it because my compositions have this problem and don't know a way around it - much of what makes this genre identifiable is the vocal timbre and delivery. Very hard to translate to an instrumental that really speaks to the quirkyness that this style delivers in spades. I don't have any suggestions because, as I mentioned, this is something that I am frustrated with when trying to emulate this style. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive to that.

Congrats, it's a lovely tune and you should be proud.
Alan

Hey Alan -- thank you so much for listening and for the feedback! Yes, I agree that the energy level may be an issue, we'll see, fingers crossed : ) It definitely can be a challenge finding ways to incorporate a melody and keep it interesting while still maintaining the right vibe. When you figure it out, let me know! Anyway, thanks again, Doug