We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mteezykeys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Feedback Request: hip hop cues

Post by mteezykeys » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:13 am

Hey guys,

Trying to get better at hip hop instrumental cues. there isn't a current listing, but generally taxi screeners say my sounds aren't contemporary as requested. Here are two tracks I'm working on, any feedback is appreciated.

jefflaplante
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Feedback Request: hip hop cues

Post by jefflaplante » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:34 pm

I think you are almost there, especially with the 2nd one.

In the first cue, there is a straight up piano right at the front. This isn't really heard in modern hip-hop right now...you're going to need to put some interesting drippy or wobbly effects on that thing so it sounds interesting. Get creative...put it through a guitar amp or a vocal processor or something, and find a sound that you've never heard before. Check out "Playbox" in Kontakt. Those sounds are going to be all over hip hop this year, because they are brand new and they sound different. You don't want a piano sound that appeared on hip hop tracks in the 90s.

Secondly, you really need an authentic 808 for your bass. Right now, it sounds too punchy like a synth bass...like what was popular in the 80s. The 2nd track bass sound is much better.

Good luck, and keep writing!

Jeff

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:32 am

Jeff hit the nail on the head. That piano sounds too normal. And get your 808 game rolling, my man! That's the sound of low end in hip hop, so you'll need to ditch these synth basses you're using and find some 808 plugins. Luckily, there are a million of them, and they're usually pretty cheap, like $30-$50. ("Tension in the Air" is closer in bass sound, but still not quite there).

~~Matt

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:57 pm

Some of the basics are there, you've got the foundation. Now you need to get current sounds. First cue needs to be scrapped, write it off to experience. Second cue is closer. MattV has tons of placements in this genre, he knows this stuff well. I have a bunch of trap placements as well, it makes up about a third of all of my placements.

First, like Matt said, get a solid 808. I don't know which DAW you are using, but assuming it is something current you should check out "808 Warfare" (link here). I've used it on hundreds of cues.

Then, get some current trap drum sounds. Sounds change constantly, as in every year. There are some great sample packs out there, I'm a big fan of Cymatics trap drum samples. If you want a fantasticly affordable option, check out @imamusicmogul on YouTube and buy his drum sample pack (I think it's $23). He has the hats, rims, snares, kicks and lots of other stuff that will instantly make your beats sound current. I plug his channel and products all the time on my fledgling YouTube channel. Here is one of my Trap videos where I use his kit, there is a link to his store in the description. https://youtu.be/e_8PeVG_QYI

You've got the musical concepts down, which is the hardest part for many people. All you need now is current sounds and I think you can start crushing it. Good luck!
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

mteezykeys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by mteezykeys » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:39 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied. I've been following you're YouTube channel paulie, it's a great resource. I'll check out some of these plugins and Get back to the drawing board.