We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mteezykeys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Feedback Request: SOCA Instrumentals

Post by mteezykeys » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:39 pm

Hey Guys,
Decided to try my hand at a Soca Instrumental. I think my arrangement and melodies are fine.
I'm worried about my horn and guitar samples. What do you guys think?

https://www.taxi.com/members/v1k5aJDrSG ... sland-time

A Bunch of SOCA INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a Major European Media Company for a variety of Non-Exclusive opportunities!

NOTE: We previously ran this request as Dispatch Listing #D221214SC, but the Company didn't find what they were looking for, so they asked us to try again. If you submitted to listing #D221214SC, please send different material this time around.

This Company is on the hunt for Instrumentals that could be found on a playlist with the following references:

"Hookin' Meh" by Farmer Nappy

"Die With Dignity" by Singing Sandra

"Palms On De Ground" by Anslem Douglas

Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumentals only for this request.

Please send them well-composed Soca Instrumentals that capture the essence and vibe of the Caribbean Islands! Your submissions should have engaging Soca rhythms, memorable motifs, and plenty of fun energy. Solid arrangements and instrumentation in the general wheelhouse of the references will work best for this request – think horns, percussion, guitars, etc. Craft your pieces around a single motif and layer instrumentation in and out as they progress to create forward momentum, interest, and dynamics. Please be sure your production and any virtual sounds or samples you use are fresh and high-quality.

Your Instrumentals should be at least 2 minutes long and no longer than 4 minutes, give or take. Do NOT copy the referenced examples in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

Quoting the Company: “Only artists/writers affiliated with ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, SACEM, IMRO, APRA AMCOS, SOCAN, including all Scandinavian and Latin American PROs, are eligible to submit their music for this opportunity.”

This company offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE deal, so you will keep 100% of all Composition and Master Rights. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please send as many Instrumentals as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Monday, January 16th, 2023. TAXI # S230116AS

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Feedback Request: SOCA Instrumentals

Post by gitanosoy » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:17 am

Hi,
If at 0.34 sec that is suppose to be a guitar then no good, the guitar comping sound is fine and you might want to add a a couple of edit points.

That's all for now.

good luck

mteezykeys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by mteezykeys » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:22 pm

gitanosoy wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:17 am
Hi,
If at 0.34 sec that is suppose to be a guitar then no good,
thanks for the advice,
I'll call a friend to lay down some lead guitar.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:02 pm

Sounds very MIDI all around, especially the horns. The bass and bass drum seem to be fighting each other as well, the downbeats sound muddy to me. Revisit the horn part articulations to make them sound more realistic, then experiment with panning the horns out for a better spread. The reference tracks have a better mix overall, cleaner, stereo, etc. If the horns are separate instruments, put the trumpet dead center, then the other two horns left and right.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

mteezykeys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by mteezykeys » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:09 pm

Paulie wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:02 pm
Sounds very MIDI all around, especially the horns. The bass and bass drum seem to be fighting each other as well, the downbeats sound muddy to me. Revisit the horn part articulations to make them sound more realistic, then experiment with panning the horns out for a better spread. The reference tracks have a better mix overall, cleaner, stereo, etc. If the horns are separate instruments, put the trumpet dead center, then the other two horns left and right.
Thanks for the listen and advise Paulie!