FEEDBACK REQUESTED: Sad piano and strings intrumental

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Tonebonemarone

FEEDBACK REQUESTED: Sad piano and strings intrumental

Post by Tonebonemarone » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:57 pm

Hello!

I am going to be submitting to TAXI # S221017PN with some pieces that I have submitted before and was hoping to get some feedback on the new versions, as well as your thoughts on whether or not these two pieces would be a good fit for the listing.

Last time I submitted these songs they were returned because the strings didn't sound real enough (I was new to programming strings and didn't know much about CC automation), so when this listing popped up I decided to work on that.

Song 1: https://www.taxi.com/members/lo1QHePPSS ... jA-if-only
Song 2: https://www.taxi.com/members/lo1QHePPSS ... nt-in-time

This is my first post on the forum so if those links don't work, please let me know!

Thanks!

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: FEEDBACK REQUESTED: Sad piano and strings intrumental

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:43 pm

Hi, the links work! :)
Just a suggestion - it always helps to post a copy of the listing and its links too, so members can see what was being asked for and hear the ref tracks for comparison. Meeting the listing criteria is the most important thing, because even a great production could still be inappropriate for submission.

I'd say that the strings on the first track sound quite dry, so they could use some ambience to glue them together a little more. Occasional string harmonies seem to clash a bit, and perhaps it goes on a bit without much development, but its subjective.

I find the piano in the second track a little pokey with occasional bright peaks, although it also sounds like its been compressed a bit too much. Again, the strings seem dry.

Without the listing its hard to say much more about whether they're a good fit though.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Tonebonemarone

Post by Tonebonemarone » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:49 pm

Oh, of course! I'll copy the listing below. Thanks for the great feedback!

Here's the listing details:

Lots of SAD PIANO & STRINGS INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a Music Licensing Company that's secured tons of great placements with Major Network TV Shows, Films, Commercials, and Video Games. This Company has signed many TAXI members over many years and has garnered lots of placements for them!

This Company is searching for quite a few Instrumental Cues that could be heard on a playlist with the references below:

"irreplaceable (orchestral)" by Chad Lawson

"Soluble Leaf" by Jordi Forniés

"Reflections" by Toshifumi Hinata

Please send them well-composed Instrumental Cues that evoke a sense of sadness and melancholy that feature Piano and Strings as their only instrumentation. Sorrowful melodies, excellent arrangements, and solid performances that tug at listeners' heartstrings are all needed for this request. We recommend crafting your Cues around a central idea, and creating a sense of forward motion, dynamics, and interest by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Please be sure your productions are polished, and if you are planning to use any virtual piano or string instruments, please be sure they are high-quality and realistic sounding – nothing dated or obviously MIDI-driven will work here.

TAXI Tip: We suggest trying to keep your submissions on the simpler side, melodically. Your job is more about establishing an uplifting mood rather than winning "Composer of the Year"!

Submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take, and have non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split all upfront sync fees 50/50. They’ll get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll keep 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is NOT already signed with other Libraries or Catalogs. Please send as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. All Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Monday, October 17th, 2022. TAXI # S221017PN

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:36 pm

Basically, the listing asks for....well-composed, sorrowful melodies, excellent arrangements, and solid performances.... tug at listeners' heartstrings... sense of forward motion, dynamics, and interest by layering instrumentation, be sure productions are polished, and virtual piano or string instruments are high-quality and realistic sounding.

The refs leave no doubt that they're human performances on real instruments that have ebb and flow in their rhythm which adds to the emotional impact, and the productions are very polished.

I would say that your tracks are struggling to meet a few of the listing criteria, and when I A-B them with the refs the authentic and polished sound is not there. Just my opinions though.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.