Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

eirikbj
Active
Active

Female vocal range

Post by eirikbj » Mon May 30, 2016 12:38 am

Hi guys!

Planning on making an effort in the Adult /Contemporary department.

I notice most of the listings are for female voices, and I myself think that most of my material is best suited for women singers.

So, the question is: What top range should I go for? I think that the bridge climax works best when the singer goes for the topmost part of their range.

Since not knowing what artist are liable to "buy" the track, Its difficult to place it in the right range. I see Beyonce can go up to F6, but getting a song forwarded to her is a long shot I guess :D

If I put it too low it can seem boring for most artists, but If i put it to high, it might get out of range for potential "clients".

So what do you recon? C5? A5? C6?

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Female vocal range

Post by lesmac » Mon May 30, 2016 1:14 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFnh3BndyKk

https://ktvocalstudio.com/2014/11/26/ra ... ary-voice/

Tessitura is the term for a singer's comfortable vocal range.

HTH

eirikbj
Active
Active

Post by eirikbj » Mon May 30, 2016 2:09 am

Thanks for that. That vocal battle video is very good guidance for what different voices sound like in the extremes.

But these are the top most female vocalists in the world, right?
So would it be fare to assume (and expect) that an average singer in the same genre should reach at least an E5 in a climatic high-note?

Or would it be safer to go for D5 or even C5?
Still I would like to aim for selling songs to the higher ranged (and skilled) artists.

One thing is what is technically wise, but at the same time you have to think a bit strategic and "sales-like", right?

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Mon May 30, 2016 8:04 am

This is a great question to ask.

I think a reasonably good singer should be able to hit D5 and perhaps even E5 as this is still middle voice, but I would avoid sustaining that for too long. Generally speaking a comfortable range for Female is probably A3 to D5, with a couple of E5's for chill factor, knowing that the key may need to be adjusted down a bit depending not only on range, but texture.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Ndennis

Post by Ndennis » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:41 am

Very interesting question and answers. I see I am going to learn a lot from lurking around these forums!

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:48 am

Most singers for hire will list their range, though they might be prone to exaggerating what's comfortable. :D You can listen to their demo reels to make sure.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:16 pm

You will be writing for either soprano or alto.

The rule of thumb for songwriting is to write a range within 1 octave.

The style and type of soprano or alto, has less to do with writing and more to do with production or directing. (I have written or produced an opera and I need a dramatic soprano or a coloratura soprano to play the lead role...)

As a songwriter, you generally do not write an artist's style, features like melissma or coloratura.

The impact is going to be in the interval. That's all you have control over as a songwriter. Your song might be transposed down to a different vocal range, the largest leap should be no more than an octave, and you don't write or control vocal style.

SATB. Impressive will be the diva who can sing both the alto and soprano, or not,lol, or switches for more range, though that's probably more about ego, or necessity? than songwriting. :lol:
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

xanadumusic

Post by xanadumusic » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:50 am

Just remember this certain words ans vowel sounds do not sing well in the highest range of
a singers vocal range

The Vowel Triangle is something most learning writers ignore because they are not singers

A demo can be sung by a male singer even if the song is specifically for a female voice

In fact many girl groups prefer a demo sung by a male so as they can work out their own

specific Harmonies

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:57 pm

Seeing this thread jump up again I thought I'd mention a trap I fell into using female singers.
There are some great points made by previous posters here BTW.

It's important to take into account that they may be singing an octave above your guide vocal.
I built up a track with fancy guitar licks and icing to inspire the singer and I did a great job to stay out of the way of my vocal only to find my handiwork was treading all over her lead. Dang!!

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:49 pm

A great melody set in a great groove is what I'd say would attract and inspire a singer. Rhythmic accents and fills would be a plus. But I think that is the old-fashioned way,lol!

I'm not sure the "Star Spangled Banner" is really such a hard song to sing, it's just so uninspiring. Oh no I didn't say that! :o :lol:
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music