Final Mix Mic Tone/Mic Clone?

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Final Mix Mic Tone/Mic Clone?

Post by LamarPecorino » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:05 am

Has anyone had any experience with Final Mix Mic Tone and/or Mic Clone? I'd love to hear about it. I have all of the Final Mix products except Parallel Drums. I love their ease of use. Thanks in advance.
Onward and upward!
Lamar

“We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained" JFK

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Final Mix Mic Tone/Mic Clone?

Post by Len911 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:09 pm

The best results would come from how well a plugin accurately assessed the characteristics of your particular mic and applied the correction with known characteristics of a particular mic. Then there's the plusses and minuses of the different types of eq, linear phase, parametric. Static or dynamic.

The problem with eq matching plugins, is where are you going to find a solo track using a particular mic and eliminating the source
say Frank Sinatra's voice from it to only get the characteristics of the mic, nowhere, so forget that, unless you wanted to change the eq curve to that, your vocal to a FS tone. Then there's the static or dynamics again.

Lamar, if you do a lot of recording your own vocals, I would highly recommend the Neumann TLM 193. I had one and sold it when I came upon hard times. :cry: It's very flat, it's very natural, very warm, however it doesn't have the "presence peak" that most mics have, and you may have to cut the 2K area on the track you are dubbing to, to hear yourself while you are singing. It's like the cardioid version of a U89, I believe. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TLM193
At one time I even had the M149 tube mic I bought used at a discount,lol, but it didn't hold a candle imo to the tlm 193. I currently have a Telefunken tube, but not as good imo as the tlm 193. The u87 and it's cardiod version 107??, I've never tried, though I believe they have a presence peak. I got off track a little, and I hope I wasn't too inappropriate for the question answered, but I hate not to say what I really think, if I thought it might cut through and get you where you want to go quicker.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Final Mix Mic Tone/Mic Clone?

Post by LamarPecorino » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:22 pm

Hi Len:

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I'm mainly wondering if anyone has used either of the products and what was their experience.

I'm sorry that you had to part with your Neumann. I'm sure that it was a great mic. Over the years, I've had access to great mics. I do appreciate them.
Onward and upward!
Lamar

“We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained" JFK