Fine...How about this beat? :o)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kevinmathie
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Fine...How about this beat? :o)

Post by kevinmathie » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:49 pm

Ok, so my last beat wasn't too hip hop. The problem with that is, it ticks me off when I can't get things just right, and then I have to keep on trying until I do get it right, which is what I did tonight even though the deadline is tomorrow...uh...well, today, now that it's 2:45 am.I'm really not sure if this is hip hop either. I started off copying the kick/snare pattern from a popular rap song, then tweaked it slightly so that it wasn't a blatant rip-off. But then, I just sort of veared off on my own.From this one particular song, I kept what I felt was the basic orchestration: bass, kick, snare, high hat, cowbell (although the popular song utilized what sounded a bit like a wood block), a rhythmic motion in the mid-frequencies, and a very sparse higher frequency "fill" (if you could call it that) in the chorus.I kept the tempo at 90. But, again it doesn't have much of a hard edge. I think I need to absorb more hip hop still. *sigh* One week just isn't enough! So, what style would you call this piece, and is it useful for the listing mention below? Is it any closer to hip hop than my last piece?Urban, Hip Hop, (or "File 13?") trackBTW, please excuse the mix. I know it's probably really out of whack. Since it's 2:45 a.m. and I'm in an apartment, I have to keep the volume down really low. So, I'll fix the mix tomorrow during the day. For now, I just want to get your opinion on the feel of the track itself.Thanks!KevinQuote:Huge Production Music Library/Publisher looking for master quality URBAN/REGGAETON/RAP/HIP HOP INSTRUMENTALS/BEATS in all styles for use in corporate videos, TV, film, radio, and commercial productions. Solid performances are needed. Please submit one to three pieces online or per CD; 60 seconds to 3 minutes is the recommended length for this pitch. They offer a very fair exclusive deal with a 5-year reversion clause. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than July 27, 2007.TAXI # S070727UR

frequency

Re: Fine...How about this beat? :o)

Post by frequency » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:44 am

what do you write on? i write with a triton i know your pain here....the thing that seperates your tune here and many that i write ... and it's sad to say... is it doesn't have a stolen loop runnin through it....most of the current hip hop tunes that are really movin... have a dirty old school loop runnin through it.it gives it a grimey feel.not all but many... typically feshly written hip hop music have a lot of thump on the down beat ... a backlash on the first up beat. then accents and counter accents the vary on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th beat or sometimes on the 5th 6th 7th and 8th. sometimes it's the bass and drum on the 1st down beat and a string accent on the 2nd.... then a gap on the 3rd and a counter to the strings on the 4th a gap on the 5th, a hard hittin 6th down beat.... a counter counter accent on the 7th strings leading into a hold noted 8th that brings it around... just an example of one way for future creative writing...im no genius or i wouldn't be writing on taxi right?check out some of the different stuff i been working on when you get a chance.http://www.myspace.com/myfreakspace

kevinmathie
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kevinmathie » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:08 am

Quote:what do you write on? i write with a triton I write on my collection of soft synths which I access through Logic Pro on my Mac. I actually have a Triton, too, and I love the sounds, but very often it ends up at my live performance gigs. And when I do an extended run of something, it can live at the theatre for weeks or months at a time. So, I actually never use the Triton in the studio anymore. It's frustrating to have to return to a song that uses the Triton, only to realize that the keyboard is at the theatre.So, for this beat, I used Logic Pro's "Ultrabeat" plug-in, Spectrasonic's "Stylus RMX," Logic Pro's "ES P" synth, and "ES2" synth.Thanks for the detailed response. I'll check out your myspace page, too...

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:16 am

Quote:Ok, so my last beat wasn't too hip hop. The problem with that is, it ticks me off when I can't get things just right, and then I have to keep on trying until I do get it right, which is what I did tonight even though the deadline is tomorrow...uh...well, today, now that it's 2:45 am.I'm really not sure if this is hip hop either. I started off copying the kick/snare pattern from a popular rap song, then tweaked it slightly so that it wasn't a blatant rip-off. But then, I just sort of veared off on my own.From this one particular song, I kept what I felt was the basic orchestration: bass, kick, snare, high hat, cowbell (although the popular song utilized what sounded a bit like a wood block), a rhythmic motion in the mid-frequencies, and a very sparse higher frequency "fill" (if you could call it that) in the chorus.I kept the tempo at 90. But, again it doesn't have much of a hard edge. I think I need to absorb more hip hop still. *sigh* One week just isn't enough! So, what style would you call this piece, and is it useful for the listing mention below? Is it any closer to hip hop than my last piece?Urban, Hip Hop, (or "File 13?") trackBTW, please excuse the mix. I know it's probably really out of whack. Since it's 2:45 a.m. and I'm in an apartment, I have to keep the volume down really low. So, I'll fix the mix tomorrow during the day. For now, I just want to get your opinion on the feel of the track itself.Thanks!KevinQuote:Huge Production Music Library/Publisher looking for master quality URBAN/REGGAETON/RAP/HIP HOP INSTRUMENTALS/BEATS in all styles for use in corporate videos, TV, film, radio, and commercial productions. Solid performances are needed. Please submit one to three pieces online or per CD; 60 seconds to 3 minutes is the recommended length for this pitch. They offer a very fair exclusive deal with a 5-year reversion clause. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than July 27, 2007.TAXI # S070727URKevin,I think you are making progress. The feel is much more Urban, though I agree with Songwriter that both the synth choices and tonal structure is more electronica.Still a bit "Torn Between two Genres" (insert Olivia Newton John vocal here for full effect), but better.Since you have RMX... why not use some of the built in grooves as a foundation to build on rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. Most of this genre is ripping off beats from somewhere, and tweaking them out. Using a slow groove at a faster tempo or visa verse will sometimes give that grit that a track like this needs. Try combining some pieces of grooves, for transitions, accents, variations etc. Also, your composition will then be influenced by the feel of that groove, and might hit the target better.Aub

emusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by emusic » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:50 am

As I suggested you in a PM, use the EXS24II inside Logic, together with some sampled loops maybe.Made my first urban (hopefully) beat today with some samples and EX24II instruments bought from the net rather cheap. High quality sounds imo.Here it is 4 x 4 bars with more intensity as every 4th bar passes. If interested I can supply a sourcelist.http://emaker.no/music/beat.mp3Allthough this is just the beat, I have a version going on with bass and some choir and strings, but not sounding too well yet.