We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

philipmojbro
Active
Active

First ever attempt - feedback?

Post by philipmojbro » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:22 am

Hello!

I just became a Taxi member. I am new to all this and I’ve never made a cue in my life. I wasn’t even aware of what a cue is and maybe I still don’t really understand 😂.

Anyway. I went through the listings and decided to give this one a shot. I hope to give feedback here. Please don’t be afraid to tell me what sucks and what I can do better, because I want to learn and get better.
Lots of CHILLHOP INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a Music Licensing Company that specializes in music for content creators as well as TV shows and Film projects!

This Company is searching for Down-to-Mid-Tempo Instrumentals that could be found on a playlist with the following references:

"Dizzy Blue" by Clap Cotton & Loop Schrauber

"North Fell" by Delayde

"Between Spaces" by blnkspc_

Please submit top-notch Chillhop Instrumentals with an overall laidback vibe and sound. Your submissions should have relaxed beats, vibey guitars and/or synths, and tranquil motifs. Your production should be competitive with the references and feature cutting-edge virtual instruments and samples. This Company is looking for the type of music high-schoolers and college students might listen to while they're studying or chilling out after a rough day of watching TikToks ;-)

NOTE: Do NOT submit any tracks with spoken producer tags/watermarks as they're not usable for film and TV placements.

Your submissions should be at least 2 minutes in length and no longer than 4 minutes. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best for this request. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.
This is my work in progress idea: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c35ostitzg154 ... 1.mp3?dl=0

I have the feeling it’s a little too repetitive and boring. I am a little new to the genre so I don’t know where to draw the line really.

Looking forward to any feedback. Thanks.

Philip

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: First ever attempt - feedback?

Post by Zaychi » Sat May 01, 2021 1:03 am

Please be aware that I know little of the genre; still a few points from the hip:

- pretty cool sound overall, I like the bass and base combination
- yes it is a bit repetitive, the second half seems almost the same as the first half
- the claps seem to miss a bit of snap. I had the same problem with a track recently, and someone over here advised parallel compression, which worked great for me, you might want to look into that
- correct me if I'm wrong, but the hihat part seems to be a copy of the same bar almost all through the song. A bit more variation might help.
- there seems to be some noise pollution, like a vinyl crack, it is very clear at the end of the track but audible earlier as well. If that is intentional/stylish for the genre it is fine of course; if it isn't, look for the source and find a way to get rid of it. Either way maybe cut it short, so it isn't the last remaining sound?

philipmojbro
Active
Active

Post by philipmojbro » Sat May 01, 2021 1:22 am

Awesome, thank you for the feedback Zaychi!

I totally agree with you on the repetitiveness. My gut feeling is that’s the worst issue now. Both in terms of song development (similar throughout) and in the hi hat which is a sample which is a couple of bars long. I should be able to edit more variation into it.

As for the snaps, I was aiming for a rather chill drum feel as that’s something I figured was part of the genre. I’m going to go back to the references and make sure I’m on point drum sound wise. My easiest trick for making a harder snap is picking the proper sample - of course compression can work too. But I’ll take your critique here and take a second look at the clap sound.

As for the vinyl noise, that definitely was a stylistic choice. I found that in a few chillhop tracks and I like the vibe it brings. However I probably went too far with it, mixing it too loud.

Thanks again, awesome feedback!

Philip

Zaychi wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:03 am
Please be aware that I know little of the genre; still a few points from the hip:

- pretty cool sound overall, I like the bass and base combination
- yes it is a bit repetitive, the second half seems almost the same as the first half
- the claps seem to miss a bit of snap. I had the same problem with a track recently, and someone over here advised parallel compression, which worked great for me, you might want to look into that
- correct me if I'm wrong, but the hihat part seems to be a copy of the same bar almost all through the song. A bit more variation might help.
- there seems to be some noise pollution, like a vinyl crack, it is very clear at the end of the track but audible earlier as well. If that is intentional/stylish for the genre it is fine of course; if it isn't, look for the source and find a way to get rid of it. Either way maybe cut it short, so it isn't the last remaining sound?

philipmojbro
Active
Active

Post by philipmojbro » Mon May 03, 2021 10:18 pm

I’ve now made an update to the song and put it here.

MichelleLane
Active
Active

Post by MichelleLane » Tue May 04, 2021 12:01 am

Hey Philip!

Welcome to Taxi. I'm a new member as well, and this is not my most familar genre, but I can toss some feedback out there for you. First of all, this piece is so chill I had to go get a jacket while listening. Like it was the chilliest. :lol: I think you have the genre down pretty well. I have heard the use of the record vinyl crackles in other tracks like this as well and I like it. Seems to me, though, that I don't usually hear it the whole way through. I think mainly in the beginning and end, and maybe in the middle breakdown section. Weave it in and out so it doesn't become the main attraction is all.

I saw you posted an update, but the link didn't work. Anyway, I think this fits the genre and you have lots of room to add a few extras if you want to build it up. Production quality is great too.

Good luck with this one!

- Michelle

philipmojbro
Active
Active

Post by philipmojbro » Tue May 04, 2021 1:53 am

Thank you Michelle! Well, welcome to Taxi you too!

Being all new to this I sent a link that only works for me it seems. Here is a Dropbox link to the updated song instead which should work better (I hope).

Thanks for the feedback! As for the crackle, it is there all the way through, it's just hard to hear when there is a lot going on in the song. Kind of like with vinyl records, where you usually only notice it between the songs. I did turn the crackle down in the new version. I also added a few things, mostly percussion, to build the song a little more towards the end.

(Funny, not being a native English speaker, I never thought that chill (laid back) is the same word as chill (cold, chilly). I've encountered them in such different contexts that I've never really thought about them really being them same word.)

Again, thanks for listening and giving good feedback!

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Sat May 08, 2021 3:41 am

Nice vibe Phillip,

I'm feeling this needs some mix bus love to glue it together a bit.
Some delay on the claps to line up with the vocals a bit.

I think the keys are a bit too far forward and sound a little disconnected. My ear is drawn to the vocal and the keys seem to compete for me. It feels like there is a hole in the middle. Either put the keys in the middle or bring the vox to the centre more.

Just my thoughts. It's a nice chill vibe.

philipmojbro
Active
Active

Post by philipmojbro » Sat May 08, 2021 6:00 am

Much appreciated Lesmac! I have a hard time mixing songs without proper vocals as I usually arrange stuff around the vocal and with the main idea that nothing should compete with the vocal. I think I considered this track an instrumental and the mix turned out a little unfocused.

I’ll review your notes in the studio and see if I can improve it before the deadline.

swdaze
Impressive
Impressive

Post by swdaze » Wed May 12, 2021 8:27 am

This is cool, I like your grooves.

My only comment is it stays on it's plane. If you worked in a build before the breakdown it would build tension/expectation before the fall.

Nice stuff, Geo
A square peg can be an elegant solution to a round hole

AudiniAudio
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AudiniAudio » Sun May 16, 2021 4:56 am

I'm sorry. Were you saying something? I fell into a trance and saw Jim Morrison strolling across the Moroccan desert.