First Taxi Submission- Yunnan Spring

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

weslong
Impressive
Impressive

First Taxi Submission- Yunnan Spring

Post by weslong » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:56 am

Here's my first submission to TAXI. Still waiting, of course, to see the critique. It's a World genre thingy with some Jazz snazz in it.This is one of the songs that "almost never happened" due to some scary studio problems. I had to re-do most of the thing from scratch.http://www.taximusic.com/download/15773 ... g.mp3Enjoy!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: First Taxi Submission- Yunnan Spring

Post by hummingbird » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:46 am

I'd rather not download - can you just provide a link to the song? Any chance you could post the listing too?cheersVikki
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

cameron
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cameron » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:38 am

Wes,This is a great melody! I really, really like it!! With some lyrics I could hear this being a great pop song a la Rufus Wainwright. The instrumentation is definitely quirky, and while it's not bad it's got a bit of a video game element and I kept thinking what this tune could be with a mild Bill treatment done to it.Cameron

linziellen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by linziellen » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:45 am

Wonderful melody Wes, I really enjoyed the listen best of luck.Linzi

georginasaint
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by georginasaint » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:34 am

I love this! I'm having a little boogie here with my headphones on - it's such an interesting mix of styles!!!! Well done!What listing did you submit to?Good luck with it!Georgie

weslong
Impressive
Impressive

Post by weslong » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:14 am

Hey thanks for the feedback guys! I actually sent this to two listings so far. Now keep in mind that I'm just sort of playing a bit here to see where it best fits in the listings and also to get some critiques.Can someone please help me with this whole song link bit? I try to 'right-click' and 'copy link' on the PLAY button and I get a bunch of Javascript garbage. I can only seem to get a good link out of the DOWNLOAD button.LISTINGS:NEW AGE ARTISTS are wanted by the VP of A&R at an International Independent Record Label with worldwide distribution. This label specializes in New Age and World Music and is extremely high-profile in those circles. They're looking for more than just the easy listening New Age of the past - they'd like to hear some more contemporary influences and cutting edge soundscapes. They're very interested in artists who have established themselves online, with some sales and a bit of touring experience. These things aren't necessary to submit, but please don't forget to submit a photo/bio regardless of your experience/history. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics/photo/bio. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than August 14, 2008. TAXI #S080814NAUNIQUE, AUTHENTIC YET CURRENT WORLD ARTISTS/BANDS are wanted by a very established and respected World Music Label with 150+ Compilation CD releases and worldwide distribution. Artists/styles ranging from Celtic to French, Carribean to African, Mediterannean to Eastern European, etc. will be considered. It's recommended that a blend of Contemporary and Traditional approaches be presented, for a unique and relevant sound. Beyond all, a clear identity that is consistent from song to song will be crucial. Excellent performances and recordings that compliment the songs/voice/region will get the most recognition. We'll need to be extremely selective, so please send in your very best songs! You'll also want to attach a PHOTO/BIO to your submission(s), including information about tour history/links/press/etc. Please submit two to three songs online or per CD, include PHOTO/BIO. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received by October 7, 2008. TAXI #S081007WO

heinsite
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by heinsite » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:30 pm

whoa wes--very cool and definitely different--the oriental influence with a jazzy rendition, but as i read the listing, i don't see oriental, but hell, they can't ignore this.very nice job. want to dance through the street!the best,warren

weslong
Impressive
Impressive

Post by weslong » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:43 pm

Aug 19, 2008, 8:30pm, heinsite wrote:whoa wes--very cool and definitely different--the oriental influence with a jazzy rendition, but as i read the listing, i don't see oriental, but hell, they can't ignore this.very nice job. want to dance through the street!the best,warrenThank Warren,Glad you liked that! I really have no reference point for evaluating my music other than the TAXI and the forums so feedback (good and bad) is always welcome.Yeah, I wasn't sure on the influences bit but I made the assumption that a World sound in general would be just fine. Besides, this song is off my only mastered CD which I just released in July of this year. I don't have much 'pro sounding' material at the moment to submit. Just working with what I have at the moment. And, I live in China so I can't escape the ever-growing Asian influence in my works.Although, I did come up with a one-minute jingle last week and did the ol' 'self-mastered' routine and submitted it. More of a lark, really just to see the critique. They'll probably howl with laughter at that one and toss it to the circular file.

weslong
Impressive
Impressive

Post by weslong » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Aug 19, 2008, 6:38am, cameron wrote:and I kept thinking what this tune could be with a mild Bill treatment done to it.CameronHey thanks, Cameron! Glad you dig it! Bill treatment? If you're talking about Bill Laswell, then sure, bring on his cell phone number! I'd love to work with him!

weslong
Impressive
Impressive

Post by weslong » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:36 pm

Aug 19, 2008, 6:45am, linziellen wrote:Wonderful melody Wes, I really enjoyed the listen best of luck.Linzi Why thank you, Linzi! You say "Music is your carrot". For me, I could expand on that and say "My job is the stick, making music is the carrot that keeps me from taking the stick and shoving it up my boss's arse." Or something like that....