Forum Newbies... a few thoughts+FAQs

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

joshpaul24

Re: Forum Newbies... a few thoughts+FAQs

Post by joshpaul24 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:20 pm

Thank you for this great info! I am one of those newbies you speak of and the tips for the forum were very helpful. I'll be posting an introduction momentarily.

KathrynOverall

Post by KathrynOverall » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:00 am

Thanks so much Vicki - we meet again in a different space fellow blogger :-) Your intro is such a great help in getting my bearings quickly here on the taxi forums. I am a 'not yet' taxi member but methinks this is my first step. Looking forward to getting to know the community here.

ckbarlow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ckbarlow » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:47 pm

I don't know of a more friendly, genuinely supportive community than this one -- welcome, new folks. Trust me; you'll be glad you started hanging around.

remoteoutofcontrol
Impressive
Impressive

Post by remoteoutofcontrol » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:57 pm

Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it.

New comer.

jean louis teisseire

Post by jean louis teisseire » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:59 pm

Hi Hummingbird!I can tell you when English\American is not your mother language,too old (!!)to be any good on computer communication and never participated in any forum,then you are happy to have informations and feel welcomed!!I will probably have stupid questions to ask soon!!Thank you, :mrgreen: JL

http://www.taxi.com/jeanlouisteisseire

glender
Impressive
Impressive

Post by glender » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:10 pm

Thanks Vikki, you're a Saint!

dtrain1234
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dtrain1234 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:00 pm

As a newbie, I myself will be referring back to this very often. Nice work and very well organized! I'm very impressed!

coachdebra
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by coachdebra » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:40 pm

Vikki - you are awesome! Earning that award of best forum member many times over!

A few suggestions for the new folks - this is an extremely active forum and can feel a bit overwhelming. So here are a few time management tips:

- Schedule time 2-3 times/week to check in. Even if you don't have anything to post. I like to do it on my lunch hour.

Here's what I do during those times:

1) click the "View Your Posts" link directly under the time/date, there in the upper right area. Here you can check in on the threads that you've participated in. All at one time in one place - nice, huh?

I recommend doing this rather than checking the "Notify me when a reply is posted". If you're active on these boards like I am, you'll be getting a ton of extra emails. And I'm already overwhelmed with email.

However, if you've submitted to Peer to Peer for feedback on your songs, you might want to check that box (white boxes just below the text box when you're creating your message). Since often you'll need the feedback before submitting and so are on a deadline.

2) Once you're done checking the activity on the threads you've already participated in. Then you click in the "New Posts" (conveniently located right next to the "View Your Posts" link). And here you can read all the new posts since the last time you signed into the forum. How cool is that - the forum remembers where you left off! But you'll also see how active the forum is. Today, I had 5 pages of new posts! phew!

3) If you still have a few minutes, you may want to check in on the "View unanswered posts" (over on the left side of the screen) and see if you can contribute to those conversations, or spend some time in the peer to peer, listening and commenting on other people's stuff.

In my experience, if you're on the boards every few days, the "active topics" and the "unanswered posts" will be showing up in the new post list. But if you're only here once every few weeks, things can get buried under the avalance of new stuff.

And as always - ask. The question you're feeling shy about is probably being considered by lots of other folks who also feel shy about it. When you ask - you serve everyone.

Penz2nz
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Penz2nz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Hummin'bird

Wayne R Brown here. I'm back after some time recovering from a wreck and new to these boards.
Thanks for the info. It took me a while to figure out how to get to the Control Panel but once found my questions were answered and problems solved.

It is good to be back with TAXI
Wayne R Brown

"Don't let it end like this, tell them I said something." The dying words of Poncho Villa

http://www.taxi.com/penz2nz
http://www.myspace.com/waynerbrownandfriends

jdiaz

Post by jdiaz » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:37 pm

Hello. I`ve been in taxi for a while, but i never entered this forum. It´s great and is a shame i didn´t did before.
I´m a Panamanian songwriter and is great to see people succeed in this.
We keep in touch!

Juan