Forum Newbies... a few thoughts+FAQs

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

subinthompson
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Forum Newbies... a few thoughts+FAQs

Post by subinthompson » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:52 pm

Dear Vikki,

Thanks for the welcome! My name is Subin. I am from India, I live in the UAE, Abu Dhabi. I've been a member since January this year.
This is an awesome community. Never seen such a supportive bunch of people together under one roof. I felt like it is so co-operative and never competitive.
I had posted a few of my tracks and was amazed by the support I received . It was so detailed that a few even mentioned about my mixes and the mood. I had remixed, and a couple got forwarded too. I've already made friends with a few of the taxi members. I am so inspired by each and every post in the Success Stories section.
Looking forward to having an awesome taxi ride with my fellow members.

Subin

akira
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by akira » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:16 pm

Hi Everyone!

I'm Akira. (That's my stage name at least.) In my day job I'm a web programmer but music is much more fun. For the last few years, I have been combining the art and science of music.

On the "art" side: I played piano when I was young and interested in becoming an actor. I love to perform voice characters and sometimes I can sing in character. I started playing guitar about 15 years ago and joined my first band 3 years ago.

On the "science" side: In college, I had to decide between a degree in performing arts or a degree in computer science. I made the practical choice and graduated with computer science. Today, I write web applications and teach web development at a community college.

Lately, I have been gravitating towards music and technology. I bought a Yamaha MOXF which has 100s of instruments for expression and needs a technical mind to get the most out of it. I recently volunteered to help Resounding Joy which offers music therapy for seniors, hospitalized children and active military and veterans. I'm also dabbling in audio engineering to mix tracks.

I'm still stumbling my way around creating music so I would love to collaborate with other Taxi members. I'm looking forward to jamming with all of you!
Akira Kanyon
"Don't Stop Believin" - enjoy the Journey

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/akira.kanyon
Last Band: http://cognizenmusic.com/

EnderBender

Post by EnderBender » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:08 am

Hi, I just did an independent post of this but I'll ask here as well. I'm a newbie and I have a couple of questions in regards to instrumental cues listings (the 90 seconds type):
What is the average number of cues submitted, by an individual, for these type of listings? Is 4 or 5 enough or not enough?
If they like it do they normally ask you for more?
Also, if there are two listings asking for a similar style of instrumental cues can the same cues be submitted to both listings or do they need to be different?
Thank you!!!

Ovation67

Post by Ovation67 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:58 pm

Hi everyone. I'm a newby to Taxi and so excited to participate in the forum. Thankyou so much for the tips. I have alot to learn! I had a submission come back to say I didn't have a trap beat. Can someone please let me know what that is? Cheers. 🍻

mjs1979

Post by mjs1979 » Tue May 12, 2020 11:53 am

Greetings everyone!

My name is Matthew Schmitt and I am a producer in Pittsburg, KS. I've been a musician all of my life and most recently have been recording a group called Falling Walls. I am brand new to Taxi and I am interested in sharing on here and am anxious to make submissions from my production portfolio that are appropriate. It seems most of what I have seen is Country but there are also some indie and hiphop posts available for submission. I am here to make friends first though it would be nice to have a submission accepted as well. I am eager to talk shop and share music as well. This is the first time I have ever reached out to an A/R organization and I hope I find value in it more than just a royalty check. I hope this message finds everyone in good spirits.

Thank You
Matthew Schmitt

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Wed May 13, 2020 2:02 am

Hey Matthew, welcome!

Being a pretty newbie myself, I'd say you' ll find much feedback and sense of community here.

As commented many times here in various threads: don't try to fit your existing portfolio to the listings (referred to as " fitting round pegs in square holes"), but write custom songs specific to the listings instead.

As for styles/genres, I'm still amazed at all the types of requests which come along (I mean, like Bluegrass??) and I'm pretty sure you' ll find stuff you can compose for!

lpwalsh1

Post by lpwalsh1 » Sat May 16, 2020 12:12 pm

Hi, my name is Larry Walsh. I joined about 6 months ago but have yet to upload anything. My question is this. Is there a limit on the size file that you can upload. I assume mp3 is the preferred format. I noticed that wav files are also acceptable. Those are generally pretty large but better fidelity. Do the majority use mp3 ?

Now about me. I'm in my sixties, played in bands through the years but have never taken writing seriously. It's always been therapy for me. Lost my wife 2 years ago. In this age of social media a lot of friends are pushing me to pitch my songs that came out of that trauma.

Pipewrench67
Active
Active

Post by Pipewrench67 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:24 pm

Hello,

Brand new around here, still setting things up.
First, is there any way to search for specific topics in forums?
I'm clicking all over the screen and not finding a search box.

Anyway a little info about myself;
Like a lot of people I recently joined the ranks of the unemployed.
I've been making music for most of my (53 year) life.
I write a lot of songs, and the drummer in my band (Obscure Birds) suggested giving songwriting a go as a possible occupation, or at least for supplemental income.
It is encouraging that musicians that I work with feel my material is good enough to do this.
I'm going to put my head down and charge into this, the best I can, to see if I can generate something that creates some kind of interest.
I'm reading through forums, trying to get a feel for things.

I do the singer-songwriter thing, mostly roots-rock stuff. I've played for years in reggae and ska bands. I also love doing soundscapes and ambient pieces.

I don't want to run too long here, but this is the basics of me.

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:05 pm

Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

Pipewrench67
Active
Active

Post by Pipewrench67 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:13 am

Thank you
cassmcentee

Is that clickable somewhere on the forum page or do I just type that Enter that in the address box above?

Sorry if I'm missing something really obvious.