Forum Newbies... a few thoughts+FAQs

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kanary48

Re: Forum Newbies... a few thoughts+FAQs

Post by kanary48 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:21 pm

Still learning so much, not new to Taxi, but newbies here. Thanks everybody for your help:)

Ed and Carol Nicodemi
Carol Nicodemi

LindsayH
Active
Active

Post by LindsayH » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:26 pm

hummingbird wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:03 am
LindsayH wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:38 am
Hey everyone, I could use some advice as seem to really struggle with understanding some of the feedback I receive. For example, a recent listing S221012EM was after emotional piano songs which started with a subtle beginning and built to a crescendo. The comments given focused around that build missing but also on the pieces needing to be more uplifting. The build is a very fair point so I do take that onboard but no where in the listing mentions that these need to be positive uplifting piano songs, it specifically says emotional. I do keep trying but seem to miss the mark each time, any advice would be warmly welcomed. I had a similar thing with one of my Christmas songs called 'Forgive and Forget', I submitted, 1 piece of feedback explained its not Christmassy enough and another said it would be perfect for a Christmas listing given the holiday feel. Its quite confusing at times so any clarity would be warmly welcomed. Very excited to be coming along next week to the Rally too so can ask some questions then! :) Many thanks Lindsay
Hi Lindsay... I would recommend posting the listing, the feedback, and a link to one song, in the Peer to Peer section of the forum, asking for help to clarify how the submission didn't match the listing.

It's also helpful to post the listing and a link to a track you plan to submit asking if it fits the brief.

Read other posts in Peer to Peer, read the listing posted and listen to the track, and try to hear what others have to say about the track. I found this to be very educational.

HTH
Perfect thats great advice thank you so much for this suggestion. Lindsay

LindsayH
Active
Active

Post by LindsayH » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:54 am

Hey everyone, can I ask for some advice please? In the case where a music library is wanting to use one of your cover songs but they want an exclusive deal, they don't however mention anywhere in the contract anything like 'the song should not be released on streaming platforms'. I was planning to release this cover song via distrokid which would mean getting the licence for the cover however now I am not sure if a. i should release it and if exclusive automatically means I can't release it myself and b. whether i need to separately seek this licence now before sharing with the library? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Lindsay :)

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:08 am

LindsayH wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:54 am
Hey everyone, can I ask for some advice please? In the case where a music library is wanting to use one of your cover songs but they want an exclusive deal, they don't however mention anywhere in the contract anything like 'the song should not be released on streaming platforms'. I was planning to release this cover song via distrokid which would mean getting the licence for the cover however now I am not sure if a. i should release it and if exclusive automatically means I can't release it myself and b. whether i need to separately seek this licence now before sharing with the library? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Lindsay :)
Hi Lindsay!
You need to ask the library. Every deal is different. Sometimes this is clear from the contract, other times not so clear. I usually email them and ask without even looking at the contract itself, just to be sure.

Best,
:D Casey

LindsayH
Active
Active

Post by LindsayH » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:33 am

Hey Casey! Hope you are good, great to hear from you! Will you be at the Rally in Nov? Thanks so much for confirming, contract is very short and I can't see anything specifically about cover song licences being needed or anything about the cover song not being released even though its an exclusive deal. As you say, I will get in contact with them and double check. Didn't know if there was a 'standard approach' to this.

Where is the brain explosion emoji when you need one.... :)

Lindsay
Casey H wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:08 am
LindsayH wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:54 am
Hi Lindsay!
You need to ask the library. Every deal is different. Sometimes this is clear from the contract, other times not so clear. I usually email them and ask without even looking at the contract itself, just to be sure.

Best,
:D Casey

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:56 am

LindsayH wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:33 am
Will you be at the Rally in Nov?
Yup! I'll be there!! Hope to be teaching a class again as well! Look forward to seeing you! :D

Casey

LindsayH
Active
Active

Post by LindsayH » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:56 am

Look forward to seeing you there! At the bar :)

Do you happen to know if it's necessary to sign up as a publisher with BMI (not just a songwriter/composer)? I am being told different things, online it says it's not needed as if you input 200% when registering a song, BMI will assign this to the composer which then covers the publishing side. I am however being advised that in sync licensing you have to have a publisher IPI number and if you don't it can prevent you from getting signed to an agency or getting a sync deal?

Lindsay

themarkalanproject
Active
Active

Post by themarkalanproject » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:27 pm

Hi all, new here. Just saying hi!
- the mark alan project

kjckjc
Active
Active

Post by kjckjc » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:59 pm

Thank you for this thread Hummingbird! Altho I have been a member for almost 1 year, I have been avoiding the new learning this website / forums entail... You made the trip a bit easier... Thanx again!!!
..."To Play a Wrong Note is Insignificant... To Play Without Passion is Inexcusable"...
~ Ludwig Van Beethoven

https://www.taxi.com/members/kencrombie