forward "certificates"

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: forward "certificates"

Post by hummingbird » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:21 pm

Yrrepy, welcome aboard. I guess I don't see the problem. If you don't want a certificate, don't print it off. There are more important things to expend your energy on. The truth is, getting a forward isn't easy for many of us. If you're getting them, at least you are doing something right. It means your music is marketable & competitive - and that IS a brass ring, for many of us. It means we can be confident we've made it over the bar of "well-written & well-produced" - not that easy. It means we can confidently pitch that song thru Taxi and outside of Taxi, knowing it meets the grade. And you cultivate your network of friends and associates, because, even if you get the call, the next step is crucial - to create a solid relationship with someone who wants to use your music.Aub posted a great thread a little while ago about "the bar beyond the forward"http://taxi.proboards27.com/index.cgi?a ... ummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:24 pm

Quote:All I'm saying is, getting a "forward" doesn't mean you've grabbed the brass ring. A lot of things have to happen before you see a royalty check. First, the A&R guys have to like the song enough to play it for the Artist and/or the Producer. Second, against all odds, they have to decide that it's a song they want for the project. Then, they have to put the song "on hold." That's when most of us would probably pee our pants. Then, after being "on hold" for six months to a year or longer, they decide that your song is the 13th cut on a 12 song CD. And if that doesn't happen, you're song gets recorded and put on a CD of an Artist who gets dropped from the label before it even comes out. If you do get lucky and everything falls in to place, the Artist will probably want half of the writing credits because he put the word "and" or "but" in a line of one of your verses and you will gladly allow that to happen because this is your first cut and you have no track record as a songwriter. I understand that we all work hard to get that "forward." And it is a first step to greater things. But I don't need a "certificate" from Taxi to let me know that I am on the right track. Just getting a "forward" is good enough for me. My validation will come when I open up the mailbox and I see a check from ASCAP.That's a very positive outlook you have there. It's nothing more than a fun certificate... not a statement by Taxi that you're not good enough to get a call. Generally speaking, this is a VERY experienced group here on the forum... all have been around the block more than a few times with a good grounding in how the industry works. One piece of information you gave me that I didn't have is the existance of these certificates. I didn't even know they were there. I can see printing out 1000 copies of my forward for "In The Sack" and wallpapering our family room but Marcia isn't really seeing that.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:37 pm

If I may be so bold: I think you might have too much riding on one song. You may know already that this is a numbers game, having a fairly sizable catalog of excellent material broadens your chances of getting placements on Film/TV on the way to that "brass ring" album cut/hit song.Besides, the process of writing and producing that catalog of excellent material takes your mind off of thinking every forward has to be the "one" that hits. That one forward could languish for years before the call but a bunch of forwards WILL yield some results eventually. The fact that you are getting forwarded is a very good thing. How else would you have gotten your music on the desk of an A/R rep without a ton of research and money on your part? Not to mention the time it would take to get to them, time better spent honing your craft.Give it a chance and some time.Cheers,Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

yrrepy

Post by yrrepy » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:55 pm

I see I have ruffled some feathers. I want to get along with all of y'all. I've been a member of Taxi for 3 years, but quite frankly, getting "forwarded" doesn't cut it for me anymore. I want the phone to ring. I did sign a song with a Music Library. Almost got one song of mine into a movie. All because of Taxi. Got a call from a two-bit publisher in Nashville who turned out to be no further "up the ladder" than I was, who wanted to sign one of my songs, all because of Taxi. I told him thanks, but ,no thanks! You guys have to realize that there are people who are posting listings on Taxi that probably wouldn't know what to do with your hit song if it hit them upside their heads! I spent six years in Nashville, worked as a guitar technician for Steve Wariner and Kathy Mattea, and have been around the industry for some time pitching my songs. If you REALLY want to find out what people in the industry think of your songs, join a Performing Rights Organization (ASCAP, BMI, or SESAC) or even the NSAI (Nashville Songwriters Association International) and ask for their feedback. They don't hand out little "certificates." They tell you how it is. In the meantime, Good Luck ... As for me, I'm not planning on renewing my membership to Taxi, and I think I just might "forward" myself back to Nashville.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:12 pm

You gotta do what you gotta do. I didn't get my first deal until near the end of my 3rd year with TAXI but I got a lot of forwards up until that time. Frankly I haven't taken advantage of feedback services from my ASCAP membership and probably should but I have heard my music on TV this year as a result of TAXI so I think the "real world" has given me some valuable feedback there, not that I wouldn't welcome any feedback that would make me a better writer (and more money!). Of course, hearing "how it is" in the music business is just one more opinion, no matter how far up the ladder they are. As you said, the best feedback is that ASCAP check!!Maybe going back to Nashville is a better route for you than TAXI. There are many that have had success via TAXI that have never set foot in a music capitol but everyone has their own path. Sounds like you already have connections there and that's very valuable, as you know.Wish we could hear some of your music before you go, sounds like you have been around the block and it would be nice to hear what you have been working on all these years.Good luck,Mazz

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:17 pm

Well, it was obvious from the beginning that you've decided Taxi isn't a fit for you. That's fine. Get out, work your network, pitch your songs. No one twisted your arm to join, and no one sold you a bill of goods. Taxi also tells you how it is. It's not up to them if a forwarded song isn't picked up. IMO your experience with Taxi directly reflects your probable experience with the music industry. As you yourself said above, thousands of songs are put on hold for one album, what are the chances you will get a cut inside or outside of Taxi. Even Michael Laskow says that a Taxi membership is the *second best way* to market your music. However, don't come here and tell me I haven't invested my money wisely. I know EXACTLY what I get from Taxi, and that's why I'm here. I'm not stupid, I've been around. I'm a member of SOCAN & ASCAP, SONGU, SAC, and more. I've personally met many of Taxi's screeners, and I've seen/heard and talked to many of the major publishers, labels and other reps who trust Taxi to screen music for them. Taxi wouldn't be as successful as it is -- nor would there be people on this forum making a good living from their music -- without the trust of the major players in the music industry.Hummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by anne » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:22 pm

Hi Yrrepy, Welcome to the boards. I bet its frustrating as hell to be getting tons of forwards but no deals yet. Please don't assume that people aren't as experienced as you and therefore don't "get it". Having a good long career as a concert tech (sound and lighting) including touring in the US and Europe from clubs to stadiums, and having run 2 performance venues, started, built and then profitably sold my own company, and finally joining taxi after returning to writing after a 17 year break, I really enjoyed getting my cheesy little forward certificate!I can't wait until I get more, but I also want deals when I do. That is why I keep reading, learning, absorbing, everything I can about the people who are actually doing that - getting deals. Because its not all about just being good (as it sounds like you are) - its about doing what you can to be better. If being better means you have to learn more about networking, following up with all of your contacts etc to turn those forwards into deals, than thats what you have to work on. Taxi is only like an introduction - your the one that has to turn that into a relationship.

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:23 pm

Quote:...Got a call from a two-bit publisher in Nashville who turned out to be no further "up the ladder" than I was, who wanted to sign one of my songs, all because of Taxi. I told him thanks, but ,no thanks! You guys have to realize that there are people who are posting listings on Taxi that probably wouldn't know what to do with your hit song if it hit them upside their heads! I spent six years in Nashville, worked as a guitar technician for Steve Wariner and Kathy Mattea, and have been around the industry for some time pitching my songs. If you REALLY want to find out what people in the industry think of your songs, join a Performing Rights Organization (ASCAP, BMI, or SESAC) or even the NSAI (Nashville Songwriters Association International) and ask for their feedback. They don't hand out little "certificates." They tell you how it is. In the meantime, Good Luck ... As for me, I'm not planning on renewing my membership to Taxi, and I think I just might "forward" myself back to Nashville.Wow. I'm so glad to know that guitar tech is so much higher up the ladder than a 2 bit Nashville Publisher. At first, I didn't respect your opinion because of your attitude. Now it's because you simply aren't logical.Just because I toured for several years as the house sound engineer for a top gospel artist doesn't give me the right to be a jerk. But thanks for the education. I've only been in this industry about 20 years. Experience doesn't give you the right to talk down to people as if you have all the answers and everyone could possibly benefit from the wise musings of a former guitar tech.Go on back to Nashville. With the attitude you are exhibiting here, you probably won't even get a tip if you happen to wait on my table.Aubbtw-- how well have you done by yourself with that song you wouldn't sign to a "2-bit publisher".

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:27 pm

The "forward" certificate didn't bother me but this one I got the other day really frosted my butt...

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:29 pm

Excellent Dave!! LMAO!!!I guess TAXI knows you better than you thought they did !!!!