forward "certificates"

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: forward "certificates"

Post by Casey H » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:40 pm

Quote:Aub,I wonder what would happen if no one dignified one of these posts with an answer.The initial post would disappear fairly quickly with the amount of activity lately.ChuckI came in late on this one so I didn't feel like I was slamming the guy who started it, but taking advantage of a chance to do something positive... Sometimes it's easy to forget that people here are at all levels from novice to accomplished. So, if ONE person got something out of that, what started as bad may have become something good.

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:43 pm

Quote:Aub,I wonder what would happen if no one dignified one of these posts with an answer.The initial post would disappear fairly quickly with the amount of activity lately.ChuckThe problem is goggle..um I mean google. Search Taxi Screeners and you'll find posts in several message boards including this one. Because Taxi rightly chooses not to censor this board, if a post goes unanswered and someone is googling or searching through the forum, then all they get is the one side.And even though I was a bit more blunt than usual this time, most of the time there is an opportunity to genuinely answer someones question.Aub

allends
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by allends » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:10 pm

I really enjoyed my one and only Taxi forward certificate, but more importantly, my wife was inspired by it. And yes, she put it on the refrigerator. There's another seemingly meaningless thing means a lot to me: some seriously misguided college guys recently picked me to be the subject of a group term paper for their World Music class. Now I know that this doesn't mean that I'm a great musician (all it means is that I'm the only World Music player they could find) but I'm here to tell you that when I show up to play the sitar for their class this Wednesday I mean to put my game on!Neither of these things have earned me a cent but the positive attitude I derive from them keeps me in the game. You gotta be in the game if you wanna win!

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:52 pm

Forwards make me happy. To me its just notification. I'm too far away for smoke signals.

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by arkjack » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:45 pm

Since its such an active thread graced by the presence of Michael, I think I'll chime in.I am now tow years and one month into Taxi. After close to if not more than 200 submissions returned and not a single forward you would think I had enough sense to give up. Having that First Foward certificate for me is going to be a reason to party. And if you want to talk about frustration, I've been at it for over 35 years. I had professionals tell me my songwriting, musical skills, and sense of composition are very good all my life. But the only certificates I have hanging on my wall are a CPA license and a BS degree. I would put a very high value on a certificate from TAXI that says " congratulations " you have made it to the next level. Maybe for some that level isn't a big deal. Having returns all the time is part of the reality check. The main thing is keeping expectations realistic. A forward certificate would serve to raise expectations, but it is not unrealistic to think that since it was good enough to be forwarded, it just might be good enough to get to the next level and the next level beyond. As Casey says, we're all at different mileposts on the same journey. It is a journey of hope. So Michael, thanks for the ride and keep up the good work. I don't think I can foresee me shuttering the doors to this office, leaving my family and moving to Nashville to chase this rainbow. So Taxi has been a good vehicle of hope.ArkJack

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:42 pm

Very cool post, there, Jack.If you haven't read it yet, you should check out Vikki's "...The Process of Growth as a Songwriter" thread. VERY, VERY inspirational. she's one of my new role-models. And you've got the persistance and the drive that will pay off in the long run. Just keep moving forward and the forwards will come. (Sorry for the pathetic attempt at a 'Field of Dreams' spoof. Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

ckbarlow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ckbarlow » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:29 pm

If I'm not mistaken there were some award-winning composers/songwriters at the Rally who maybe didn't utter the exact phrase "Thanks TAXI," but they might as well have. DioGuardi? Blume? Those people sure as hell didn't need to show up. It spoke volumes that they did.

ckbarlow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ckbarlow » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:39 pm

when I got my first one (and so far only one) I was so happy I started crying. But then, I cry at that commercial where the guy proposes to his wife (again) in some square in Europe; whereas when my girlfriend sees that commercial she likes to say, "OOH, I hope she says NO this time!"

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:00 pm

Quote:But then, I cry at that commercial where the guy proposes to his wife (again) in some square in Europe; whereas when my girlfriend sees that commercial she likes to say, "OOH, I hope she says NO this time!"HAHAHahahaaa!I NEEDED that laugh. Thanks, CK
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:26 am

This post was made Sun Dec 2nd:Quote:How do y'all feel about those certificates you can print out when you get a "forward?" You know, the ones that look like diplomas ... congrats!! ...you've been forwarded to XYZ Major Label !! What am I supposed to do? Print them and frame them and hang them on my wall? Then all my friends can come over and say "hey, are you making any money at this songwriting thing?" And I can say, "nah, nobody ever called me. But the certificates are nice, don't cha think?" I wish TAXI wouldn't patronize us this way. I guess the certificates are their way of saying, "hey, you're pretty good, but don't expect a call from Mr. A&R Man."Michael responded with this post Sun Dec 2nd:Quote:Hi Jimi,One of the dots tipped me to the thread on the Forward Certificates, and I'd like to shoot out a response, so please post this.I created the certificates because for years, members were taping the "Hey, you got forwarded" postcards to the walls. When we started doing most of our business online, people began to tape up the forward emails. I thought it would be cool to give them something nicer. I figured SOME people might think they were corny, but for most people, getting a forward is an accomplishment.... obviously, or they wouldn't have taped the old post cards up. I also figured that if they didn't like them, they would open or print them.I understand yrreppy's frustration with not getting calls (except for that publisher he DID hear from), but we DID get his music on the desks, and for the vast majority of people, that's a pretty big deal. It's probably never happened for them before they joined TAXI.I checked yrreppy's profile and see that he's 48 years old. I'm guessing he's been at this for quite a while, and his frustration is palpable. I understand and TRULY feel for you yrreppy. But Elliott Park (from Clyde, TX, pop. 3,423) ended up with a number 1 hit ('I Loved Her First' by Heartland), and Jim Funk and Erik Hickenlooper ALSO ended up with a number 1 hit with 'Buy Me a Rose' by Kenny Rogers, and they were from a small town in Utah, and had NO previous ANYTHING going on in Nashville as well. We've only had a couple of members get cuts in Nashville, but we cover ALL genres, and don't concentrate just on Country. That considered, those two #1s for writers who were completely unknown and from small towns far from Nashville, is pretty remarkable.And just by coincidence, both #1s were on small Indie labels, so you might not want to discount that small publisher we hooked you up with so fast. Who was it by the way? I'll be happy to check them out further. We're pretty stringent in vetting the companies that run listings with us ... we DON'T take them from just anywhere.We've had 2 or 3 less than desirable companies get by us in the last 15 years, but only a couple. Not bad when you consider that we've run around 15,000 listings for somewhere around 7-800 different companies over those 15 years.As for your friends seeing the certificates and asking if you've made any money as a result... well, hell, don't they ever ask you how you've done with your songwriting generally? Is it really our certificates that make them ask?By the same token, you are surrounded by people on this forum who ARE making money BECAUSE of TAXI, but they are a humble bunch, and generally don't talk about their income publicly. Sadly, HUNDREDS of lurkers will read your post. So if your goal was to discredit TAXI born of your own frustration, then let me congratulate you, because you've probably achieved your goal. Dozens of people probably won't join or renew because they don't know how much these more humble folks have made, and they'll believe you because it's easier to believe that TAXI sucks than it is to do the hard work and display the patience necessary to achieve the success the people on this forum have had.If any of you 'humble' folk want to chime in here, I won't stop you ;-)If you've got an issue with us, and your intent was to find out why we send out the certificates, or tell us you don't like them, then why didn't you simply call us, rather than doing what you did publicly?SO, please call me personally at 1-800-458-2111 on Monday, December 3rd, and just tell the receptionist that you're TAXI member 'yrreppy' from the forum. I'll check out the company we sent your music to. I'll bet they've had cuts or something else substantial going for them, and that's why we ran the listing. If they ARE less than credible, I'll cop to it here, and quit running listings for them.I don't mean this to sound facetious, but have you been at this for a long time, been frustrated by the lack of stuff going on, and lashed out at us for the certificates as your first post as a result of your frustration with the industry as a whole?I hope that's not the case, but I also hope that you can understand that it appears that your frustration may be misplaced, and came off as a little ungentleman-like. Not a great way to join this remarkable community of incredibly helpful, generous, and successful members.You'll catch more flies with honey here, and for those who've come to learn that the hard way, they'd be among the first to tell you how TAXI and this community have contributed a great deal to their success.I hope to count you among them someday soon.Don't forget to call me!thanks,Michael LaskowCEO, TAXI1-800-458-2111I asked Michael this morning (Fri Dec 7th) if yrrepy had called him at Taxi's toll free line to discuss his concerns. The answer is no.You know, I'm first one to totally understand the frustrations of a talented & creative musician who feels that they aren't moving forward as fast as they would like. But I got a few things to say...#1 - you don't get anywhere without being professional, having integrity, and having the balls to discuss your issues with dignity & respect with the person(s) concerned. It's easy to throw dirt around behind the scenes / behind an on-line identity & create a fuss. It's a lot harder to sit down face to face and speak your truth. If you can't deal with your irritation with Taxi, then how will you deal with a music publisher or music library or record label in a professional & courteous manner? What are you going to say when they *do* call. "Well, finally, what's wrong with you people."#2 - Read Jason Blume's "Inside Songwriting" - it's an eye opening account of his 12 year struggle to become and be recognized as a professional hit songwriter. Watch the Film/TV youtube video's with Matt Hirt, who makes a good living writing & producing music for film/tv & exploits his Taxi membership to the nth degree. #3 - It takes as long as it takes. And it takes a lot of consistent work from you, to write, produce, submit & create relationships. I just got an email yesterday, regarding a Taxi forward. Guess when the listing was? 061114 - yep, that's November 14, 2006. I got the forward (my first ever forward -- no certificate, I'm afraid, I was still on Broadjam) in December 2006. And I was contacted December 6, 2007 - one year later. Matt has one example where it took 5 years to get a deal.#4- yrrepy, you are welcome here. We all complain a little, that's expected. But then we get up and going again. We won't hold your first post against you. There are friends here. Join in. Hummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website