Forward on S210319BE: RE-IMAGINED COVERS of BEATLES SONGS

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

RPaul
Impressive
Impressive

Forward on S210319BE: RE-IMAGINED COVERS of BEATLES SONGS

Post by RPaul » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:35 pm

This evening's email brought the pleasant surprise of a forward notification for my cover of the Lennon & McCartney's "We Can Work It Out" for this listing, which read:
RE-IMAGINED COVERS of BEATLES SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed by a super well-connected Publisher for targeted placements in Television, Advertising, and Film!

Genre-wise, we think you’d be wise to create covers in popular genres like Singer/Songwriter, Adult Contemporary, Jazz, R&B, Indie Folk, Pop, Country, Rock, Indie Pop, Indie Rock, Soul, etc. You’d be smart to avoid genres that aren’t relatable to a wide audience.

This publisher is eagerly searching for COVER SONGS that could fit on a playlist with the following references:
  • "Across the Universe" cover by Fiona Apple
  • "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" cover by The Breeders
  • "Hey Jude" cover by Wilson Pickett
  • "Something" by Billie Eilish
  • "Drive My Car" cover by The Donnas
Please send top-notch re-imagined Beatles Cover Songs that are engaging from start to finish. We think both stripped-down performances and more filled-out arrangements could work for this request. Whichever approach you decide to take, your production and arrangements should be polished and high-quality. If you're planning on using software sounds or samples to replace organic instruments, they need to sound like the real thing and can't be dated or obviously MIDI-driven. Any other software sounds and samples you use should be modern and top-quality, as well. Captivating, well-performed vocals could be the cherry on top!

TAXI Tip: We recommend sticking as close to the original songs' melodies and lyrics so they're easily recognizable to listeners! Stylistically, you can try some different approaches like slowing down a fast song, going faster on a slow one, take an edgy song and try a softer, dreamier approach... you get the idea!
Unfortunately, I don't want to post my recording publicly due to copyright considerations, but to try and give some idea, I went for a something quite different from the Beatles' interpretation. Their version is fairly upbeat. I went for much the opposite, going with the darker side of the lyric, not really believing we "will" work it out, whether we "can" or not. Kind of depressing, I suppose. :) I slowed it down a fair bit and didn't use any percussion. The instrumental tracks were based around a felt piano (NI's NOIRE), with mostly pad-type stuff, and especially some granular sounds, even in the (virtual) electric guitar part.

The reviewer's reason for forwarding comment read, "It is an interesting, slightly creepy twist." I was going more for "ironic", but I'll take "creepy". :)

Rick