Forward ratio

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

53mph
Impressive
Impressive

Forward ratio

Post by 53mph » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:39 pm

Since joining Taxi about a year and a half ago my forward to rejection ratio is well down. I'm starting to get into a bit of a crisis over this as I spend alot of time reading the crits I receive and then trying to adjust the song accordingly only to meet similar rejection reasons.Today I had a song forwarded for Listing # S060412SS and the same song rejected for Listing # S060412SS (sometimes I forget that I've already sent a song for a certain listing and send two by mistake...I wish there was something in Broadjam to tell me I've already applied for a certain listing)The listing reads...The President of an established Publishing Co. is looking for outstanding SINGER-SONGWRITERS along the lines of Ben Kweller, Rachel Yamagata, Jack Johnson, Fiona Apple, Elliott Smith, Damien Rice, etc. for Film/TV opportunities & possible shopping to labels. Great vocals and tremendous song writing are needed. A big plus if you have a finished CD. Broadcast quality needed [great-sounding home demos are OK]. Please submit two to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics/photo/bio. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than April 12, 2006. TAXI # S060412SSand I'd like to share the crits with you all as I'm unsure why the same song was accepted and rejected for the same advert.Accepted:So Long ShalomThe mood created by the music is a good match for the content of the lyric. This track has a haunting feel that is emphasized by the chimes and strings. Nice expressive vocal delivery.Overall Comments: Philip, you have a sound and style that is your own- not an easy thing to accomplish. I really dig the moody feel of these tracks. You have a grasp on how to craft songs that are experimental, with some unusual sounds and arrangements, but with catchy choruses to stay in the listener's head when the song is over. The main reason you were or were not forwarded for this listing is: These are well-crafted songs in a style that is appropriate for what is being requested. Rejected:So Long ShalomNice music in the first verse. Vocal could be more convincing in the verse - don't hold back, show emotion, sing with conviction. Also, I would add momentum and build to the chorus & smooth out the change to the chorus. The changes throughout the song could flow smoother. Also, follow your chorus through. Don't cut yourself off too soon. You want to give your audience a hook they'll remember and hang onto. The main reason you were or were not forwarded for this listing is: Return - this artist & these songs have potential, however, the songs are not quite strong enough for this particular listing. One seems to be telling me the chorus is catchy and stays in the head long after the song is finished and that the song is appropriate for this listing, the other tells me the chorus could flow smoother, I need a more memorable hook and it's not appropriate for this listing.I was just about to go back to this song this morning to add more detail to the story line after having countless crits telling me the storyline needed more detail but now I'm left a bit confused as to whether I need to rewrite the chorus or not Am I just feeling a bit sensitive this morning or is this confusing advice?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Forward ratio

Post by Casey H » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:36 am

You never know how different people in different moods will react. It's no different than sending out demos to publishers or labels on your own. I've had my own songs both criticized and praised for the same aspect. So, if any reasonable professional likes it, I'd say don't change a thing.I wonder if you can get a $5 credit for the accidental double submission.... BTW, doesn't broadjam send you a confirmation email with each submission ? Casey

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:40 am

I would go with "Accepted" the hook is memorable and the song has a great feel and atmosphere to it.I think you are making the classic hypercritical musicians mistake of believing the negative and ignoring the positive.The song is J.

53mph
Impressive
Impressive

Post by 53mph » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:16 pm

Thanks both of you for your advice.Seeing as I've had a few crits tell me to beef up the story I'm going to work on that, but leave the rest alone. You're probably right about being too hypercritical.I actually sent three seperate submissions for this listing. I've just noticed that the same listing code was run in almost every Listing section: Films, Songwriter, Country etc... so I suppose they were listened to for different criteria??? I hope.

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:42 am

If it is the same code its the same listing... they just put them in different categories so you won't miss them. Sorta like the salsa is in the aisle with the chips and with the Mexican food too, so you don't go home without it.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin