Forwarded tracks not raised interest - something has changed in way of working?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

arska
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Forwarded tracks not raised interest - something has changed in way of working?

Post by arska » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:02 am

I've had 3 deals made between 2015-2016 and by then it worked so that I submitted tracks which taxi forwarded and then I was contacted by the companies that they want to sign those forwarded tracks. Easy and simple and like expected this to work.

However now that I've got 2 contacts one at autumn 2020 and another one just couple of days ago the game seems to be changed I think:

On those 2 times this has went so that I've got forwards for tracks for the listing and in few days I got contact and I assumed they are interested to sign those forwarded tracks but no..

Instead it all started again from scratch and now these companies listed the type of music they are looking and yes those specfic genres/listing content that I submitted for listing originally and got forwarded, were included. But both these companies didn't say a word about those forwarded tracks so I felt it a bit confusing. Then I've replied and sent link to those tracks again and to other genres they were asking. In both times however things were not progressing. I can't demy disappoitment at this realization.

To mention that these companies sent separately also some reference tracks they were looking for. So to me it almost seems like that they just wanted contact info from taxi to persons who might have something but they didn't even listened the actual forwarded tracks. So the concept that I had in my mind that they will contact if they liked your music based on forwards - is gone. Well, this last company said that I could write some new tracks to match the references they sent to me via email. Its better than nothing and I guess I should be happy for even this but it just got me back to well not zero but back to drawning table I'd say. Just wanted to share this with you in case you experience the same and this is the new way of working.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Forwarded tracks not raised interest - something has changed in way of working?

Post by AlanHall » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:10 pm

Have those companies contact ME with some briefs... I won't complain ;)

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Forwarded tracks not raised interest - something has changed in way of working?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:44 pm

It does seem a bit strange..to contact you but NOT to sign the Forwards ? Yet still asking for the same music style you were forwarded for ?

That's not how it worked for me in the past but maybe you should ask ?

Cameloide
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Cameloide » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:21 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:44 pm
It does seem a bit strange..to contact you but NOT to sign the Forwards ? Yet still asking for the same music style you were forwarded for ?

I'm not sure I totally understood the original post, but something similar happened after a forward we had months ago. They contacted us but didn't sign the song. Instead they asked if we'd be interested in writing/producing some similar sounding cues to briefs for a few specific TV shows on Disney +. They even offered to pay a small advance for each one... the catch being they were essentially work for hires, where we'd have to give up 100% of the publishing and 50% of the writer's share. So, no doubt, it wouldn't be the ideal deal for everybody, but in our case, considering we're still trying to get our 1st actual placement and we're trying to get in the mindset of being less precious about every little thing we write, we decided to go ahead and do it. So far that's led to 20 cues delivered and accepted by the network (with 2 small revision requests), and 4 more due in 9 days. I doubt the backend will yield much bread, but the good news is that it put us actually making a couple grand before our 1st year of Taxi was up. And, I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry about this observation, but we've already made more off these 20 instrumental cues than we have from the last 2 albums our original band released.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:18 pm

This isn't the way it usually works unless the listing indicated this specifically. I think you should contact Taxi for clarification. They vet their listing clients very well and *IF* there is an issue, address it. Give Taxi a call.

Best,
:D Casey

arska
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by arska » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:55 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:44 pm

Yes thats exactly what happened, I said in my reply that "these 2 tracks Taxi probably sent to you in orchestral victory genre" but that guy just ignored it totally and was saying that they need tracks like the references he posted. In his mail still he was searching that orchestral victory genre + 4 other orchestral genres like tension, triumphiant etc.

Like Casey said in his reply, I think I ask this from Taxi but in the end... "customer is always right" is the saying.. maybe in this case it means that they can do whatever they want after they got contacts from Taxi :)