forwards but not connection, is it normal?

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ELM21

forwards but not connection, is it normal?

Post by ELM21 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:50 am

Hi everybody,

I just signed up to Taxi 2 months ago and I got 5 forwards. I was wondering: Is it normal not to be contacted by the companies that were looking for the music? Am I missing something? I am starting to wonder if it's a waste of time..

Thank you!

Ps. I was only contacted once and passed on a bad deal but I was wondering about the others.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: forwards but not connection, is it normal?

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:58 pm

Did you see this thread?
how-long-it-takes-before-a-deal-tell-yo ... 21279.html

From just 5 forwards you've been lucky to have been contacted. What was so bad about the deal you were offered? You may have passed on something good. Here's a little bit about contracts just in case you're unfamilar with what a production music library might offer.
publishing-music-library-deal-guidance-t139625.html
Last edited by Telefunkin on Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johnnyrowing » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:00 pm

Yes. I think it is pretty normal. It has to be the right track for the right listing at the right time. I'm still waiting for one of my forwards to result in a contact/offer. When I get that . . . my answer will be "yes". :) With that said, I'm not earning forwards at a prodigious rate or anything.

Anyhow, yes - forwards without an offer does seem to be pretty normal. We gotta keep plugging away and wait for the opportunity. It's also important to recognize opportunity when it comes.

Speaking of . . . I'm curious on this "passed on a contact" part of the post. I'm not aware of Taxi related listings being associated with "bad deal contacts". From what I have heard Taxi works very hard to Vet the listings and libraries and supervisors. As such, we can pretty much expect that the contacts will come in with some pretty industry standard offers. Of course I don't know the specifics of what you were offered. But passing on a first contact would NOT be something that I would recommend. I would bet that "passing" would be well outside of the norm. Again, admittedly, I don't know what deal you were offered. :)

Good luck as you continue pressing forward.

Johnny

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:03 pm

20-30 Forwards was the ballpark for me to get a contact so if you've had one within 5 that seems like good going but ...if you did not like the sound of the deal I am also curious as every Taxi Library I've dealt with has standard deals

Mark

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:22 pm

What is considered "Normal"? As I read others members stories and updates they all vary. A new member joins, submits 10 tracks, gets them all forwarded, signs to a library and has 3 placements in 3 months of joining so my point is everything is relative to your skills and the speed of your understanding the requirements to write and submit the tracks requested to fit a specific FILM/TV request.

I have had lots of forwards, signed tracks and no placement yet through Taxi so I guess that is my normal

ELM21

Post by ELM21 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:35 pm

gitanosoy wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:22 pm
I guess what's considered "normal" for Taxi since I just signed up and don't know what to expect I was asking to people that have been in here for longer.
What's considered "normal" for Taxi since I just signed up and don't know what to expect I was asking to people that have been in here for longer.

Thank you for the

ELM21

Post by ELM21 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:36 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:58 pm
Did you see this thread?

From just 5 forwards you've been lucky to have been contacted. What was so bad about the deal you were offered? You may have passed on something good. Here's a little bit about contracts just in case you're unfamilar with what a production music library might offer.
I hadn't seen that post, I'll check it out, thanks!

ELM21

Post by ELM21 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:39 pm

ELM21 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:36 pm
Telefunkin wrote:
Did you see this thread?

The deal had no split synch which is not fair to the composer. While I am a new Taxi member I am not new to music libraries and to also make sure, I asked many succesful composer friends and they all agree that non splitting the sync fee is not fare. Btw nothing wrong per se with it, just dind't work for me :)

ELM21

Post by ELM21 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:40 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:03 pm
20-30 Forwards was the ballpark for me to get a contact so if you've had one within 5 that seems like good going but ...if you did not like the sound of the deal I am also curious as every Taxi Library I've dealt with has standard deals

Mark
the deal had no split sync fee which didn't work for me, that's all. So lets say it wasn't bad but it wasn't how I want to work.

ELM21

Post by ELM21 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:41 pm

ELM21 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:39 pm
ELM21 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:36 pm
Telefunkin wrote:
Did you see this thread?

The deal had no split synch which is not fair to the composer. While I am a new Taxi member I am not new to music libraries and to also make sure, I asked many succesful composer friends and they all agree that non splitting the sync fee is not fair. Btw nothing wrong per se with it, just dind't work for me :)