Free Man

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

quadri
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Free Man

Post by quadri » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:46 pm

Hi,I have a new song that I would like to use for Films listings.I am not good in mixing so any comment/suggestions regarding mixing will be good.Btw you can comment on any level of the song (lyrics/melody/harmony/...)thanks for listening,Albertolink: http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... tream=true

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Free Man

Post by ibanez468 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:39 am

Hey quadri!Checkin' it out now. Sounds pretty good ta' me! Like the vocal harmonies. Dig the guitar solo, nice tone! Kinda' got a "Ramble On" feel to it. At the change there, singer reminds me of Jon Anderson a little, with those high notes. He was great at hitting those! There are times when I lose the snare in there a bit. I say that 'cause I hate when it happens ta' me! Maybe see if you can bring that thing up a bit. Might have to use a little automation to bring the drums up overall at certain points, maybe for more impact, particularly during the solo? Maybe some cymbal crashes here & there for a little variation, and especially going into the guit solo? That could use a good crash. May need to do a few extra things with the drums, just ta' break up the repetitiveness? I like it though! Good luck with it!ibanez468

quadri
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by quadri » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:22 am

Thanks Ibanez for your suggestions.The drums are always a problem for me , I have to improve my ability in using vst drum software .thanks again for listening,Alberto

japaneseprincess
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by japaneseprincess » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:51 am

i agree with Ibanez, it needs more work on the drums. think about what a real drummer will do. he will have fills at least every 16 bars (especially just before chorus), small fills every 8 bars etc.. crash in the first bar of chorus and everytime it moves to another section. different groove on the chorus using more open hihat (half open etc) or ride to make it different from the verses. I find the instrumental bit (with gtr solo) quite long, its about 1 minute right? i think you can make it bit shorter?you have strong musicianship here, performance is good! yeh great harmonies. im quite fussy with vocals and few things that caught me was the slight flipping from chest to falsetto (0:55, and second time). maybe its good as it is but can you release into your head voice smoothly without straining? there is a technique called Speech level singing (SLS), this helped me to perform better with so much strength in my voice and my range expanded, no flipping or straining. i sing in public for living (play other instruments as well), SLS gave me really good result for everyday singing. there are quite a lot of good elements in this song ! good luck.

k o star
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by k o star » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:16 am

Quadri... I agree with the drums... However, this is a really cool piece... I love the Vox!!Guitars & Bass are really good too... Gr8 work man!!-Kel
Keltrasonics Kellosphere & KO Quantum Leap =D

©2012, K. O. STAR (Kelvin) APRA- All Songs & Artwork Registered & Protected.
http://www.kostar8.com

quadri
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by quadri » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:37 am

@ Jap & Kel, thank you very much for your suggestions. I need to work on drums CiaoAlberto

quadri
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by quadri » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi,With your suggestions and the help of my guitar friend Bill, I made some changes on the song and on the drums.Let me know what you think,CiaoAlbertoBefore http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... am=trueNew Version http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... tream=true

orest
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by orest » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:48 pm

I listened to the new version, really nice! I think the drums are there now, but I'm listening through my laptop speakers so I can't tell anything about the bottom end. Really loved it into the second verse, I would like to hear some variation in the vocal melody in the second verse, maybe a little faster melody, or some harmonies or something. The distorted guitar solo is really excellent! Loved it! Beautiful played and it made the song more interesting!

quadri
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by quadri » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:01 pm

Thanks Orest for listening.I will ask to my friend (the singer) to make some variation in the second vocal verse and see what will come out.I agree with you, the guitar solo in great! the guitar player is another friend of mine and he has a special talent as guitar player.I really like this forum because you guys are giving me good suggestions in how to get a good song . ;-)CiaoAlberto

ideascapes
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ideascapes » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:41 pm

Alberto,I was unable to listen. My computer would not load the page as you have it listed and I couldn't guess your Taxi page name.Vincenzo