Fresh, Youthful Pop Instrumental

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DavidClipperton

Fresh, Youthful Pop Instrumental

Post by DavidClipperton » Mon May 03, 2021 8:10 pm

Hey all!

I'm looking for feedback on this instrumental cue I wrote for this listing (#S210508YP). I modelled it primarily after the first reference. Any and all advice would be amazing!

https://soundcloud.com/davidclipperton/ ... U45iaP1pIg

Thanks in advance!

FRESH, YOUTHFUL POP INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful boutique Music Library that's distributed by Universal for a new product's Advertising Campaign.

This is a catalog you want to be in! Please listen to the following examples the Library gave us to get yourself in the ballpark of what they need:

Instrumental Examples

Quoting the Library: "We’re looking for Pop Cues that sound fresh, bright, perky, lively, positive, and cool. We want music that will drive excitement for an advertising campaign, but no 'dancefloor fillers.'"

Please send well-produced Pop Instrumental Cues with fresh beats and lots of positive energy. Craft your Cues around one clear motif, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instruments in and out as they progress. Avoid submitting anything that has any prominent leads or melodies – stick with one catchy riff/motif. Your production should be slick and feature state-of-the-art virtual instruments and samples. If your submissions could get consumers excited about this new product, you could be onto something!

TAXI Tip: Although they're looking for youthful music, they do NOT want Cues that are childish. Think fun, fresh, and upbeat – not nursery rhymes!

All submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Good edit points and non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are required. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

MichelleLane
Active
Active

Re: Fresh, Youthful Pop Instrumental

Post by MichelleLane » Mon May 03, 2021 9:44 pm

Hi David!

I listened to the reference piece and to yours and it sounds like you nailed it without copying it. Well done! As far as all the components and structure goes, I think you've done a great job. The only kind of stuff I'm hearing that might need some sprucing up is the mixing and mastering. I realize you might not be finished with that part yet, so take my comments with a grain of salt. Mainly I think it could use a little soundscaping, spread some of the instruments out a bit, and kick up the overall volume about 3-5 db.

I like the vocal stuff you added at around 1:40, but I'm having a very hard time hearing it, so maybe just pop it up out of the mix a bit. I was thinking that some similar vocal parts might be cool earlier in the piece as well, maybe at around 0:47. I like your breakdown in the middle which adds interest, and the percussive rhythms you added to keep the momentum going work well. I think this track matches the listing requirements and will be worthy of submission. Good luck!

- Michelle

philipmojbro
Active
Active

Post by philipmojbro » Mon May 03, 2021 10:53 pm

Hi David!

I really like the track. I don't think the mix is bad, but I agree with Michelle that if you put a little extra effort into the mix and mastering it'll pop a little more.

I do think the track fits the listing well. Good job!

/Philip

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Tue May 04, 2021 9:39 am

Admittedly, I did not listen to the ref tracks... but to me, the track sounds pretty "serious" now, not really fresh or youthful; as if it is the base for something, but missing the topline that a pop listing requires. More for a dark, dungeony club on a saturday night than a merry gettogether of school friends... I'd say, add some light, sparkly melody instruments on top of it?

DavidClipperton

Post by DavidClipperton » Tue May 04, 2021 12:45 pm

MichelleLane wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:44 pm
Hi David!

I listened to the reference piece and to yours and it sounds like you nailed it without copying it. Well done! As far as all the components and structure goes, I think you've done a great job. The only kind of stuff I'm hearing that might need some sprucing up is the mixing and mastering. I realize you might not be finished with that part yet, so take my comments with a grain of salt. Mainly I think it could use a little soundscaping, spread some of the instruments out a bit, and kick up the overall volume about 3-5 db.

I like the vocal stuff you added at around 1:40, but I'm having a very hard time hearing it, so maybe just pop it up out of the mix a bit. I was thinking that some similar vocal parts might be cool earlier in the piece as well, maybe at around 0:47. I like your breakdown in the middle which adds interest, and the percussive rhythms you added to keep the momentum going work well. I think this track matches the listing requirements and will be worthy of submission. Good luck!

- Michelle
Hi Michelle!

Thanks so much for checking it out and for your feedback! I've put in some of your suggestions. I really appreciate it!

DavidClipperton

Post by DavidClipperton » Tue May 04, 2021 12:45 pm

philipmojbro wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:53 pm
Hi David!

I really like the track. I don't think the mix is bad, but I agree with Michelle that if you put a little extra effort into the mix and mastering it'll pop a little more.

I do think the track fits the listing well. Good job!

/Philip
Hi Philip!

Thanks so much for listening. I've done some tweaking and hopefully it's better than before.

Cheers!

DavidClipperton

Post by DavidClipperton » Tue May 04, 2021 12:46 pm

Zaychi wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:39 am
Admittedly, I did not listen to the ref tracks... but to me, the track sounds pretty "serious" now, not really fresh or youthful; as if it is the base for something, but missing the topline that a pop listing requires. More for a dark, dungeony club on a saturday night than a merry gettogether of school friends... I'd say, add some light, sparkly melody instruments on top of it?
Hi!

Thanks for the suggestion. I tweaked the top melody to lighten it up a bit.

Cheers!