Frustrated

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

missvolatile

Frustrated

Post by missvolatile » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:00 am

I actually posted this in the Newbie section, but this may be a better place to post it. If you have already read this, sorry for the repeat. I've been a member of Taxi for a few weeks now and I also joined dispatch. I've been fairly liberal at submitting my songs, because many listings mention a bunch of artists that fall into many different genres. I have submitted the majority of my songs to dispatch and they have all been returned. I knew a couple were dicey, but I felt like a couple of my songs fit right into what they were looking for. I work in a home studio, but I feel my songs are well-produced and high quality. Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to submit my songs to listings that include critiques. I have no idea what I am doing wrong or what is not working with my music. I'm a one girl band who makes electronic/rock music. This basically means I mix my synths/drum programming with live instruments like guitar, bass, etc. I've been compared to Garbage and Tori Amos quite a few times..which are very different types of music to me. In any event, my music tends to be very unusual and no two songs necessarily fall into the same genre. I guess this is where I am confused.I am not looking to be on some major record label. My goal is to get my music into film/tv as I am not much of a performer. I have submitted my songs to Film/Tv requests so I would think it is a good thing that my songs vary so much. However, I often do not know whether to go for the "rock" listings or the "electronic" listings. Obviously, nothing I am doing has worked so far. If anyone has the time or just wants to be nice, please check out my material and let me know what I can do to improve my chances. Is my production quality not up to par? Are my songs just too "out there"? Thanks to anyone willing to help. You can hear my music at http://missvolatile.dmusic.com

trace

Re: Frustrated

Post by trace » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:28 pm

Hi. When I have some time I will definitely listen. Though, and this may be more helpful, for $10 Taxi will critique any song you send them. The details are on their site.

trace

Post by trace » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:52 pm

OK.Let me first say, I really love a lot of your ideas. I hear aspects of the above mentioned artists, as well as NIN, Sneaker pimps, and many more. Though your style has an individuality.I do think your mixes could use some work. The synth and drum programming is well executed, but the non computer generated elements too often seem to fall off the meter. They are not tightly edited, as is the staple of this style of electronic rock. Sometimes this works, but most of the time it feels a little off.When your mixes become dense, many parts at once, elements seem to fight for space, often at the expense of the vocal. This I think is partly to do with ambiance treatments and delays. You have a good voice, but often you do not sound confident. In some cases the vox is down to far in the mix, making it hard to understand your lyrics.It is difficult for an artists to wear the producer/ engineer hat. I would suggest finding a good recording studio in Vegas and booking a couple of sessions. Have them mix a few of your tunes and help you re record your vocals. Watch the engineer. Ask questions. I know this can be a really fantastic learning experience, and well worth the investment.This is obviously one man's opinion, but, for what it is worth, I have made the bulk of my living for the past 5 years mixing material for independent artists, small labels and myself.Good luck!!!P.J.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:03 am

Hi Miss VolatileListening now to Encryption and Sherbet Sky. Sounds like they could be good backing music for film/TV in the right situation.... Like your sound.. I have no expertise in engineering, so I'll leave that to others. If your vocals aren't strong enough, you should submit the backing-track without vocals for film/TV. I've had success with vocal-less tracks for film/TV. I'm not saying your vocal isn't good, but if most feedback mentions it, also consider using another vocalist.As long as you plopped down the money to join TAXI, why don't you invest $10/song for 1-2 custom reviews? Nice sound! Casey

thedivys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by thedivys » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:02 pm

we have belonged to Taxi for 9 months and we've had 11 submissions forwarded.It took some time. We average about 1 a month or so.Keep it up and be patient.Think about what you are submitting.I started out like a horny teenager with my submissions but now i've calmed downand the last submission we've had forwarded sent all 3 songs I submitted to a ring tone sports company. hopefully this all means we can quit our crappy day jobs soon.Cliff of The Divyswww.TheDivys.com

missvolatile

Post by missvolatile » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:45 pm

Hello,Thank you for all the great advice. I really appreciate it and I didn't know about the $10 song critique feature. I have had a few forwards since I wrote this so that is definitely a good thing.