General Taxi listing problem?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DennisPMusic
Impressive
Impressive

General Taxi listing problem?

Post by DennisPMusic » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:19 am

HI

I submitted to this listing S210830PC (Screener 416).

THE LISTING:

Lots of PERCUSSION-Based INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a great Publisher with an awesome track record of really big placements in TV Commercials!
This Publisher is looking for a bunch of Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals that could fit stylistically on a playlist with the following examples:

Please submit well-produced Instrumentals that feature Percussive Instrumentation as their focal point – think snaps, claps, snare, kick drums, etc. You can include additional instrumentation, but the main focus of your pieces should be their infectious rhythms. Your production and any and all virtual instruments and samples you use should be high-quality and modern.
IMPORTANT TAXI Tip: Simpler is almost always better for pitches like this! Don't try to win "Percussionist of the Year" by submitting complex rhythms or too many instruments. Simpler tracks seem to work much more effectively when used with dialogue and voice-overs in TV commercials.
Submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/Stinger endings will work best for this pitch. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

REFERENCE TRACK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXoKxFA2obw

MY TRACK: https://www.taxi.com/members/a9Q_Ye0vSv ... tompy-loop

Screener 416 Feedback:

What I like most about this song
I like the sounds, the energy, the grooves, and the ideas. This was a fun listen.

I think you could improve this song by
I like the groove and the simplicity, but the groove is repeated too many times "as is" throughout. Instead of adding guitar around 1:23, I'd vary the rhythm and add some more percussion.

I returned or forwarded this song because
This stays in the same place for too long. It's a little too repetitive and needs more variation, more layers of percussion, and some build/developmental arc going into a more dramatic ending.

My thoughts:

I have been a TAXI member for 1 month now.
The first three songs I submitted, got forwarded, but the last ones haven't.
I feel the feedback I got on this listing doesn't fit the listing description and the reference track.
I think there is plenty of development on this track and TAXI also stated that a simpler approach to this listing would be better, like that you hear on the reference track. He asks for more percussion layers at the end and a dramatic ending, but I think the arrangement would work as it is for a commercial release.

1. So, is the screener right about his feedback?
2. If he is, should TAXI have linked to a better reference track and changed their description?
3. Am I wrong, so the feedback, listing description, and reference track are in sync?

I have also noticed that the reference tracks on some listings are rather useless because it's taken from 30-40 seconds live TV show clip, where the music is turned -20db down and people are talking and yelling on top of it. It's really hard to make any judgment under these circumstances.

Looking forward to your feedback:-)

Dennis P

https://dennispstudio.com/

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: General Taxi listing problem?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:46 am

DennisPMusic wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:19 am
3. Am I wrong, so the feedback, listing description, and reference track are in sync?
Couple of things stick out for me, firstly your kick is very loud and punchy...good for EDM..probably not the right call for a percussion type track where they are often more organic sounding and not dominating the mix.

Try muting the YT audio from the Ad and putting yours underneath..same vibe ? Not for me.

Secondly I felt that the rhythm was a bit too straight ...the ref has a bit of a bounce about it which appeals for Ads ...I thought yours was missing that for whatever reason.

Thirdly , if you're above 50% for forwards you're doing very well. Good Luck.

Mark

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:29 am

I'll add a fourthly: Not all screeners are cut from the same cloth. A different listing, a different style (I don't know what your first three subs were for), a different screener; all together equal a different critique. Would another screener have forwarded it? No answer for that. Just keep improving (we all can) and keep submitting.

jefflaplante
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jefflaplante » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:53 am

416 is tough but he/she knows their stuff about what is needed for placements. I have improved immensely by taking the critiques to heart and using them to get better, as opposed to jumping to the conclusion that my stuff is perfect and the screener must be wrong (which is what I used to do). From my experience with this particular screener, it is a very high bar...but the comments are also very specific about what you need to fix. IMO, it is so much better than a generic critique without specific suggestions.

Jeff

MJLeeman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MJLeeman » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:10 am

Hi Jeff

I fully empathise with your issue. There are inconsistencies in the nature and quality of feedback to submissions from my experience. I believe that this is probably due to the large number of submissions and the pressure on screeners to sign off on unsuccessful submissions and move on to the next job. While noting that this is indeed calling a spade a spade, as the saying goes, and there is, of course, always room for improvement, I would encourage you to submit what in your view are your best compositions for custom critiques. I have been a TAXI member for about 10 months and I have submitted reviews for custom critiques. Each of these costs $USD20.00 and I believe that the screeners have much more flexibility to give a considered assessment without the pressures which I reckon are part of the usual critiques, such as having to quickly select from drop down menus, like a school teacher submitting end-of-semester reports. In my opinion, the custom critiques which I have obtained are indeed excellent value; maybe half the cost of a guitar lesson for the opinion of someone very close to the action. From my experience, the good will of screeners giving custom critiques which I have received is self-evident. More often than not, I have gotten the impression that screeners enjoy this part of the job.

Cheers
Michael Leeman

MJLeeman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MJLeeman » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:11 am

Sorry Jeff, I meant to say Hi Dennis

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:42 am

I definitely hear the new elements getting added every eight bars. At 1:10 or so the track loses energy. Not sure if this is an attempt at a breakdown section, which some libraries like to see in their cues.

I would have added subtle guitar elements earlier to tease the fuller groove later. Without that, the sudden intro of the guitar is a little surprising. For example, the reference track you listed starts with guitar, then bass enters in the middle.

I like the track… nice groove and certainly usable. It can be tough to create a two minute track based on a 30 second reference file. ;)
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic