Genre ?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

fbd
Active
Active

Genre ?

Post by fbd » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:09 pm

Hello , would I be barking up the wrong tree calling this a country song ? obviously I have a none country voice which won't help . Thanks Frank . https://soundcloud.com/user-963282439/i ... al_sharing

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Genre ?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:16 pm

Yeah that's not Country..kinda 70s/80s sounds MOR/AOR ( Don't hear it as licensable in today's market )

fbd
Active
Active

Post by fbd » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:33 pm

Its new , its about the lockdown .
Last edited by fbd on Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

fbd
Active
Active

Post by fbd » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:59 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:16 pm
Yeah that's not Country..kinda 70s/80s sounds MOR/AOR ( Don't hear it as licensable in today's market )
I have made this version sound dated , I often prefer it that way , but you are a mile out . I used a 2005 Yamaha Synth and drums . I knew it was AOR but the groove does cross into country , Im not sure how far though .

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:06 am

fbd wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:33 pm
Its new , its about the lockdown
Cool. The moment seems to have passed now but a few of my favourite artist lockdown songs include 6ft Apart by David Ford , Limbo by Royal Blood and Parasite Eve by Bring Me The Horizon. I think just about everybody who ever penned a song wrote at least one track about the lockdown. Are you targeting any specific listings with it or just seeking feedback generally ?
fbd wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:59 am
I have made this version sound dated , I often prefer it that way
Most of the time Sync Libraries want very contemporary sounding material and you would only make older more dated sounding tracks on purpose if the Listing calls for it which does happen sometimes but is not the norm.

Our own preferences are somewhat irrelevant as the market wants what it wants , which is why one of the best pieces of advice is " write to the listings" ....If you didn't see it there was a great video for Tips & Tricks of how to succeed with Taxi where Micheal Laskow touches on this with some great analogies, I think it's a must see for newer members ( and possibly some older ones who are struggling ) https://youtu.be/UTWyJj0I6FA
fbd wrote:
but you are a mile out . I used a 2005 Yamaha Synth and drums .
I'm not talking about the age of the equipment. It's the writing / playing / singing & production style that places a song in an era to a listener. You can make very contemporary sounding tracks with vintage guitars and synths etc that are 50 years old or you can have all the latest Kontakt Libraries and come up with something that sounds straight out of the 70s. It's all down to how you use them.
fbd wrote:
knew it was AOR but the groove does cross into country , Im not sure how far though .

I didn't get any Country from it so perhaps the answer to how far it strays into that genre is " not very far " but there are some great ears on the board and hopefully they will also chip in and give their own thoughts too.

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:05 am

Hey Frank! I agree with Mark -- definitely not country. It reminds me of 1980's-era Chris Rea. Cool vibe though, I can hear what you're going for and worth developing in my opinion. Good luck with it, Doug.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:49 am

DouglasKnight wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:05 am
reminds me of 1980's-era Chris Rea.
I was originally gonna say the same but I couldn't recall the name of the artist...Well remmebered.

fbd
Active
Active

Post by fbd » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:59 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:06 am
fbd wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:33 pm
Its new , its about the lockdown
Cool. The moment seems to have passed now but a few of my favourite artist lockdown songs include 6ft Apart by David Ford , Limbo by Royal Blood and Parasite Eve by Bring Me The Horizon. I think just about everybody who ever penned a song wrote at least one track about the lockdown. Are you targeting any specific listings with it or just seeking feedback generally ?
fbd wrote:
I have made this version sound dated , I often prefer it that way
Most of the time Sync Libraries want very contemporary sounding material and you would only make older more dated sounding tracks on purpose if the Listing calls for it which does happen sometimes but is not the norm.

Our own preferences are somewhat irrelevant as the market wants what it wants , which is why one of the best pieces of advice is " write to the listings" ....If you didn't see it there was a great video for Tips & Tricks of how to succeed with Taxi where Micheal Laskow touches on this with some great analogies, I think it's a must see for newer members ( and possibly some older ones who are struggling ) https://youtu.be/UTWyJj0I6FA
fbd wrote:
but you are a mile out . I used a 2005 Yamaha Synth and drums .
I'm not talking about the age of the equipment. It's the writing / playing / singing & production style that places a song in an era to a listener. You can make very contemporary sounding tracks with vintage guitars and synths etc that are 50 years old or you can have all the latest Kontakt Libraries and come up with something that sounds straight out of the 70s. It's all down to how you use them.
fbd wrote:
knew it was AOR but the groove does cross into country , Im not sure how far though .

I didn't get any Country from it so perhaps the answer to how far it strays into that genre is " not very far " but there are some great ears on the board and hopefully they will also chip in and give their own thoughts too.
Yes I have noticed the obsession on here with production , I did speak with Taxi and they very kindly offered me a refund , but I decided not as there's plenty on here for me in other places , Im self indulgent but I will join in from time to time with modernish sounds , Im not a great modern producer , I get by , for me modern production has played a significant part in devaluing music , it is also in my opinion historically poor and indistinctive . Yes I did notice one sync library accepting a dated sound , thats why I asked here . I often like music raw . Thanks Frank .
Last edited by fbd on Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

fbd
Active
Active

Post by fbd » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:01 am

DouglasKnight wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:05 am
Hey Frank! I agree with Mark -- definitely not country. It reminds me of 1980's-era Chris Rea. Cool vibe though, I can hear what you're going for and worth developing in my opinion. Good luck with it, Doug.
Hello Douglas , thanks very much , yes you get me . thats great Thanks Frank .

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:35 am

Sorry Frank, I'm in the 'that's not country' camp too :) .

Some people join Taxi in the hope that sync affords them an opportunity to get their existing music/songs out into the world. That's always that possibility, but IMHO it helps to see things the other way around. Sync music is TV-led. TV shows need music of certain types/styles/genres/vintages, music libraries provide them what they ask for, and us composers do our best to make sure the libraries have got that and got it from us. Its not composer-driven, and nothing we can do will change that, so its not really about us at all. We're simply filling a need. If our existing music i's current and in demand then we might have a great fit, but if not then it can be hard to find an outlet. The question to ask is... do you hear music like your track on very recent TV shows?

Getting the production right is an obsession here as you've noticed, and that's because the libraries can accept material from lots of great producers, so they have no need to compromise on their standards. Similarly, the editors dropping music into TV shows have their pick of well produced material, so they'll naturally go for music that sounds great. Of course, the music has to be appropriate for their needs and there are many things in consideration besides production, but its so easy for an editor to move on to another track if they stumble across an inferior production.

Back to your track, I'd say there are some things that I like about it (nice guitar, generic lyrics etc), but also some production things (that word again) that might limit its potential (midi sounding drums, heavy on bass, bass timing lag, vocal sound and pitch, lack of build and variation, no edit points, non-current style).

These are just my thoughts though, and they count for little in the grand scheme of things, but I hope something in there helps :).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.