Get your hankies out...

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

avillaronga
Impressive
Impressive

Get your hankies out...

Post by avillaronga » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:09 pm

Hello everyone,My first time asking for feedback on the forum, I had been a little shy about it since there is so much talent around here...The listing I'm targeting is:A range of great-sounding "SAD" INSTRUMENTALS [no vocals] is needed by a U.K.-based Music Library/Publishing Co. for TV placement. This company ran numerous TAXI listings in 2006 (and signed many TAXI songs) and is now in need of more great material as their service has become very much in demand. They are want sad/emotional themed tracks with instrumentation ranging from full orchestras to solo instruments. They don't want tracks that sound like they were obviously MIDI generated -- authenticity and great performances are the keys. Both instrumentals with lead melody lines and basic backing tracks that serve as "soundbeds" are OK -- they want both. All tempos are OK. Track length should be in the 1:00 -- 3:00 range...I'm thinking of submitting these two pieces:AusenciaNada MasBoth of these have been forwarded before to "drama" instrumental listings but I decided to improve them and submit again. I have a few issues with both mainly with the strings, I recently switched to a different library so I'm still experimenting. In "Nada Mas" the pizzicato strings seem a bit too loud on the overall mix. In "Ausencia" I'm not quite sure about any of the string sounds...What do you think? Are they sad enough? Are the samples ok (not too MIDI sounding)? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.Thanks!Antonio

avillaronga
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Get your hankies out...

Post by avillaronga » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:05 am

Hi Michael, thank you for the feedback. Yes, the string expression is one of the things I'm still working on. I recently switched from Garritan PO to EWQL Gold/XP so all the mod wheels and stuff I had embedded on the midi file don't have the same effect anymore, I need to re-track that using the controllers that are applicable to EWQL but I'm still learning and experimenting with that.Thanks for listening and commenting. Much appreciated.Antonio

paults
Impressive
Impressive

Post by paults » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:43 am

These are both very nice- I can see why they have been forwarded before.Around 1:10 or so in Ausencia, there is a lead flute(?) with a pitch bend that makes it sound inorganic to me. Without that slide, I think it would sound more real.The pizz strings in Nada Mas make it more dramatic than sad to me. I'm wondering if just muting them would turn this into just what they are looking for.

audiorayne
Impressive
Impressive

Post by audiorayne » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:56 am

Antonio,I know you were looking for feedback on the appropriateness for the listing, but I just wanted to chime in with a quick observation..You should totally write scores for video games (I mean that in a good way). There's a real Final Fantasy thing going on here (imho). Again, no disrespect - I think these tunes are awesome. -ARP.S. All hail Nobuo Uematsu!

avillaronga
Impressive
Impressive

Post by avillaronga » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:02 am

Quote:Antonio,I know you were looking for feedback on the appropriateness for the listing, but I just wanted to chime in with a quick observation..You should totally write scores for video games (I mean that in a good way). There's a real Final Fantasy thing going on here (imho). Again, no disrespect - I think these tunes are awesome. -ARP.S. All hail Nobuo Uematsu!Disrespect? Are you kidding? What Nobuo Uematsu and others have done is legitimize the art of writing real music for video games and thus opening a whole other market for us composers. I am extremely honored that you mentioned that. Heck, the LA Philharmonic played a whole concert based on the music from Final Fantasy.Thanks for the feedback.Antonio

avillaronga
Impressive
Impressive

Post by avillaronga » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:06 am

Quote:The pizz strings in Nada Mas make it more dramatic than sad to me. I'm wondering if just muting them would turn this into just what they are looking for.That's an interesting thought, I wonder if just starting the piece when the trumpet come in and forgetting about the pizzicato strings would make it more appropriate. Thanks for the comments on the flute as well, I'll try to address that.Thanks!Antonio

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:08 am

Hi Antonio! They're both very pretty. I thought Ausencia was more appropriate for a sad listing than Nada Mas. Overall, the strings sound okay on both (a teeny bit artificial to these ears but only to these), the pizzi is exactly as you described and should be fixed as you already know, but that's not goint to make Nada Mas sadder. It's got too many hooks that i.d. it as a dramatic song. I suppose you could mute the pizzi strings and see what you think but it's still going to have other tags that make it a good dramatic song.I think you know what's wrong, you've pretty much laid it out in your post. I do know that the instrument you're using in the beginning section of Ausencia (oboe? Some sort of reed or is it meant to be an organ single-note?) doesn't quite sound earthy enough, sounds a bit artificial. I haven't yet found an oboe sound I like in a plug-in so that's probably jes me. I think these are quite lovely. Good job, Antonio.

audiorayne
Impressive
Impressive

Post by audiorayne » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:15 am

Quote:Quote:Antonio,I know you were looking for feedback on the appropriateness for the listing, but I just wanted to chime in with a quick observation..You should totally write scores for video games (I mean that in a good way). There's a real Final Fantasy thing going on here (imho). Again, no disrespect - I think these tunes are awesome. -ARP.S. All hail Nobuo Uematsu!Disrespect? Are you kidding? What Nobuo Uematsu and others have done is legitimize the art of writing real music for video games and thus opening a whole other market for us composers. I am extremely honored that you mentioned that. Heck, the LA Philharmonic played a whole concert based on the music from Final Fantasy.Thanks for the feedback.AntonioYeah, the Houston Symphony did a FF concert too. Love that stuff... *sigh* Glad you appreciate it as much as I do! Keep up the good work!

avillaronga
Impressive
Impressive

Post by avillaronga » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:14 am

Thank you all so much for your comments. I'll keep working on these two. One question: since everyone seems to agree that "Nada Mas" is not quite sad enough for this listing, does anyone think it would fit this one:A wide range of EMOTIONAL INSTRUMENTALS (no vocals) are sought by an LA-based Documentary Production Co. for an indie film about female bodybuilders. They're open to sad/heartfelt ballad-like pieces for some of the more poignant scenes of the film to "victorious" pieces for scenes that highlight the competition's winners. With that in mind, they don't want "happy" or "joyous" pieces -- think more dramatic and serious. Instrumentally, they're open to piano tracks to strings to wind instruments. Tracks should be at least 1:00 minute long. A company's rep will screen the submissions. Songs must be Broadcast Quality (excellent sounding home recordings are OK). Please submit one to three songs online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS ONLY -- NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI.I'm not sure it sounds "heartfelt" enough for it but I could be wrong. Thanks!Antonio