Getting "broadcast quality" hmm...anybody else feel stuck?

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

debmccall
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Getting "broadcast quality" hmm...anybody else feel stuck?

Post by debmccall » Wed May 29, 2019 5:08 pm

I would like to get input from anybody regarding "broadcast quality" consistently...and how to really know when it is. I guess the ear training tends to get a bit mushy at times. Anybody with lots of experience and forwards, please help. I have had a 11 forwards, so I am happy about that...but hoping for more improvement.

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Getting "broadcast quality" hmm...anybody else feel stuck?

Post by ResonantTone » Wed May 29, 2019 6:50 pm

Hey Deb,

A lot will depend on the individual genre and the specific production techniques used for it. Broadcast quality in my mind addresses a few different things

1) Accuracy and quality of sounds/instrumentation for the genre (this would include like mic-ing a vocal correctly, using recording techniques that fit the genre, using the right sounds, etc)
2) Correct effects usage (eq, pitch correction, reverbs, panning, etc)
3) Passable Mastering (this includes things like good compression/limiting usage, genre-appropriate LUFS, avoiding clipping, etc)

The good news is that a lot of this stuff can be learned from places like youtube and these forums. :) The more you try this stuff out, the more your ear will become attuned to noticing the little nuances that really take a track to the next level.

Hope that helps a little!
Andrew

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Wed May 29, 2019 7:56 pm

The best way to see where you are short is by doing an A/B comparison between your song and an existing artist song in the same genre. Play them back to back, listen to things like the clarity of the acoustic guitar, or the crispness of the drums, or the fatness of the bass, etc. Listen for panning, what is left, what is right, etc? Are the highs clear and the lows booming but not muddy? The tape never lies, A/B comparisons are incredibly educational.

And of course, post your music here for honest, friendly feedback. You are getting forwards, so that's a great start!

Paulie
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

debmccall
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by debmccall » Thu May 30, 2019 7:00 pm

Thank you...really appreciate all the advice and comments! Ear training for each part and playing with the eq/delay/reverb etc...is tricky.

debmccall
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by debmccall » Thu May 30, 2019 7:05 pm

Hello : Resonant Tone, Paulie, and Committed Musician....I I listened to some of your music--Good mixes on all. BTW, are any of you familair with or using the DAW CUBASE, by Steinberg?