Getting Logic Express to record all 16 MIDI tracks

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Getting Logic Express to record all 16 MIDI tracks

Post by geo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:53 pm

Hey guys, trying to get Logic up and running, and I'm having trouble getting it to record my MIDI channels on separate tracks. I get them all on whatever track is selected. I have: clicked the record button on each track and enabled that split up tracks thingy.I'm using a Korg N364 through a Firewire 410 and Logic displays 16 MIDI tracks in the library so I'm assuming they are being recognised.Note: I'm am low on memory (512 MB) at the moment but have the 2GB upgrade arriving tomorrow. Could the lack of memory be my problem? I'm pretty sure everything else is set correctly, Thanks for your help... GeoP.S. Thank you again for everyones suggestions on the purchase.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Getting Logic Express to record all 16 MIDI tr

Post by mazz » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:40 pm

Geo,Don't know anything about Logic but maybe your N364 isn't in Combi mode (set to receive multitimbrally on 16 different channels). I'd check there just in case. There's plenty of Logic gurus here that will probably solve it for you in 30 seconds!!Good luck!Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:37 pm

Hi Geo, I'm not sure I understand what your trying to do. Are you trying to record midi or audio? Is the Firewire 410 acting as your midi interface? The library shouldn't have any relevent information about midi, the library is where you find your audio files, loops, samples etc... I think the first thing to check might be to look at the transport, just to the left of the tempo indicator, when you press a note on the Korg do you get a 'note on' message? You have plenty of memory for recording midi so that's not likely the problem. Elser

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by geo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:41 am

Hey Elser, I want to record the midi tracks playing a software instrument track in Logic. If I play a note on my keyboard I get the sound generated in Logic on the selected track. I'm able to record one track at a time but from the manual it appears I should be able to record all 16 simultaneously and I am unable to get that to happen.If I open a track as a MIDI track FireWire 410 shows up in the library with 16 MIDI tracks/channels to choose from but if you record this way you just get the data which you can use to trigger another (external) sound module.I'm going to install my memory upgrade tonight which I hope addresses tracking issues which seem to be popping up from time to time. I most likely will end up redoing the drum sequences (not all the individual drums match up) but wanted to transfer over the sequences enmass so I didn't have to sit through 16 individual track recordings.Geo

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:44 am

Not sure about express, and I still use an earlier version of logic, but to do that in my world you have to use a channel splitter in your environment. Search for channel splitter in the help file.Aub

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by geo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:45 am

Thanks Aub, I'll check that out... Geo

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:12 am

Geo, check your PM's. I think I can help you.steve

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:51 pm

Hey Geo, sorry I'm so long getting back to you. None of Logic's software instruments are multi-timbral, you can only record one midi channel per instance of any given software instrument, but you can open several different instances of any instrument and select them all to record simultaneously. You've probably figured that out by now but maybe this'll help. Elser