Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Getting to the bottom of the CDBaby and TuneCore "CheckBox"

Post by tresero » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:57 pm

Looking through the terms. Section 1.

1. GRANT OF RIGHTS.

(a) The rights granted hereunder shall include the sale of Recordings (as defined in Section 2 below) by, without limitation, permanent digital downloads, temporary digital downloads, interactive streaming, non-interactive streaming, cloud services and so-called “disc-on-demand” services. You and Company agree that the Internet consumer stores (“Consumer Stores”) (e.g., iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, Rhapsody) licensed to exploit your Recordings hereunder must be approved by you.

(b) By clicking the “I Agree” button, you irrevocably grant to Company, throughout the world (the “Territory”) and during the Term (as defined in Section 7 below), the non-exclusive right:

to sell, copy, distribute and otherwise exploit the Recordings by all means and media (whether now known or existing in the future) (“Sale”) through any and all Consumer Stores now operational or hereafter available;
to collect all income deriving therefrom; and
to use the name(s), photographs and likenesses, artwork images, biographical and other information provided by you or the artists whose performances are embodied on the Recordings in connection with the Recordings and Company’s general business.

Basically non-exclusive by default. I think they become publisher only if you check the monetize box. I'll try to find that next.

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:02 pm

Thank you, Inspector Griffin! :? :)
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

thegajman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by thegajman » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:33 pm

This is becoming a fun thread!

I wonder if representatives from CD Baby and TuneCore would be willing to participate in a Taxi TV episode or a Road Rally panel? I know everyone's situations or scenarios may be different but there is a common scenario which is...

1) I have written and recorded some songs and I want to "get them out there"
2) I want CD Baby or Tune Core to distribute them for me (DISTRIBUTION)
3) Since I'm not currently signed to a publisher, I would like CD Baby or Tune Core to collect sync income from YouTube etc. when my songs get played (So still "self published" but they do this admin work on your behalf and collect a cut)
4) I still want to be able to sign these songs to other publishers on a NON-Exclusive basis
5) If an opportunity comes along in the future, to sign these songs to a particular publisher on an EXCLUSIVE basis, I need to be able to relinquish publishing related responsibilities from CD Baby or TuneCore with appropriate notice.

Having someone from CD Baby and TuneCore actually speak to each of those points would definitely be useful and informative for us Taxi members.

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:26 pm

thegajman wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:33 pm
This is becoming a fun thread!

I wonder if representatives from CD Baby and TuneCore would be willing to participate in a Taxi TV episode or a Road Rally panel? I know everyone's situations or scenarios may be different but there is a common scenario which is...

1) I have written and recorded some songs and I want to "get them out there"
2) I want CD Baby or Tune Core to distribute them for me (DISTRIBUTION)
3) Since I'm not currently signed to a publisher, I would like CD Baby or Tune Core to collect sync income from YouTube etc. when my songs get played (So still "self published" but they do this admin work on your behalf and collect a cut)
4) I still want to be able to sign these songs to other publishers on a NON-Exclusive basis
5) If an opportunity comes along in the future, to sign these songs to a particular publisher on an EXCLUSIVE basis, I need to be able to relinquish publishing related responsibilities from CD Baby or TuneCore with appropriate notice.

Having someone from CD Baby and TuneCore actually speak to each of those points would definitely be useful and informative for us Taxi members.
Exactly. That would be a great episode if it could happen. In the meantime, off to Ennis Ireland for a 1 week vaca :) I'll follow when I'm not testing out pubs.

P.S. If anyone is in Dublin/Ennis (yeah I know, I'm flying into Dublin then taking the bus to Ennis), I'd love to meet up for a beer.