Ghosting Songs!!!!!!!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MichaelAmoriello

Re: Ghosting Songs!!!!!!!

Post by MichaelAmoriello » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:30 am

It's only fun to whine when you've got the cheese to go with it.

When you're ghosting, you use everything about the lyrical structure as a template: same number of lines in each section, same number of syllables in each line, same rhyme pattern (although you can use completely different rhymes), hook in the same place. It's a great tool, especially when you''re stuck. And as far as which songs to use as a template, I recommend either hit songs - they're plentiful, and the one's you're going to be most familiar with - or songs that you really like (chances on, they'll be both). For example, consider the Mary Gauthier "career" song "I Drink" that was not a big radio hit (http://www.marygauthier.com/behind-the-song-i-drink/) and the Blake Shelton hit (#2) "The More I Drink" (http://www.metrolyrics.com/the-more-i-d ... elton.html). Both are great songs, about the same subject, that could be used as templates.

As for writing great lyrics, since 90% of us are extremely visual, it's a good idea to populate your verses with people, places and things so that you "show, don't tell". Keep the abstract "big ideas" for the chorus.
ttfn,

Michael

to write, record, perform, promote and encourage original music in the American folk tradtion

http://soundcloud.com/mamichnya-1

FLadyT
Active
Active

Post by FLadyT » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:20 pm

pboss wrote:(timid hand raising slowly from the back of the class.... "What the bl**p is ghosting?! ") . Hmm, I'm guessing it either means you pull in another track and try to parallel the structure etc, or... something to that effect? Please expand? Thanks

Yes you re right. The best thing is it teaches you song structure and makes you sound polished.
2PartsAnalog

FLadyT
Active
Active

Post by FLadyT » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:31 pm

thesongcabinet wrote:You mean the practice that Robin Frederick writes about in her book "Shortcuts to hit songwriting", using an existing hit song as a template for writing your own, fladyt?

Could be interesting to know which songs did you pick to work from? Was it important that it's was a number one song, or did you go with some you liked more? And what did you discover during that process?
Yes we chose a chart topper it was Work Bit#? by Ms Spears. We discovered a lot of the things we were doing wrong in song structure and how fix it. It is a eye opening experience and self educating. That is the only way we make music!
2PartsAnalog

FLadyT
Active
Active

Post by FLadyT » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:37 pm

emilyfra wrote:pboss got in before me! Tell me more!

We take a song we like or a listing example and ghost it four bars at a time. We find if we try to do the whole song at once it is too daunting. :D
2PartsAnalog

pitterpatter
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pitterpatter » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:28 am

:)
MichaelAmoriello wrote:It's only fun to whine when you've got the cheese to go with it.

The cheese? I knew my song writing whine was missing something and you've nailed it! I'm gonna get me some cheese!

As for writing great lyrics, since 90% of us are extremely visual, it's a good idea to populate your verses with people, places and things so that you "show, don't tell". Keep the abstract "big ideas" for the chorus.
Sounds great! How, pray tell, does one do this exactly?....spare no details. I haven't got my book yet and I'm anxious to learn. :D

MichaelAmoriello

Post by MichaelAmoriello » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:13 pm

pitterpatter wrote::)
Sounds great! How, pray tell, does one do this exactly?....spare no details. I haven't got my book yet and I'm anxious to learn. :D
It's the difference between pronouns and proper nouns, action words and inaction words, and using adjectives and adverbs to add color and dimension or leaving them out. Instead of having a simple tree, make it a silver maple or a Douglass fir. Instead of "this town sucks", the Boss wrote, "Baby this town rips the bones from your back / Its a death trap, it's a suicide rap" (Born to Run).

Consider this alternative version I ghosted of one of my favorite songs to illustrate the point. (Novice songwriters write plenty of songs like this, BTW.) I've omitted the hook, so don't read ahead:

I was feelin’ sad
Thinkin’ we wouldn’t get to
Where we wanted to go
Just before the weather got bad
Someone took us all the way home
We held hands on the ride
Sang some songs to pass the time

We didn’t have any money
But no one could tell us what to do
I was happy with my honey
And that was good enough for me....

Do you recognize the song? Can you guess the hook? It's pretty boring, isn't it?

Go back through it and underline all the nouns and verbs. Circle all the adjectives and adverbs. Not many, and the one's that are there aren't very interesting are they. Nouns: weather, home, hands, songs, time, money, honey... Not much in the way of interesting verbs, adjectives or adverbs either.

Now consider the original version. It is FILLED with interesting images and action words:

Busted flat in Baton Rouge, waitin' for a train
And I's feelin' near as faded as my jeans
Bobby thumbed a diesel down, just before it rained
It rode us all the way to New Orleans

I pulled my harpoon out of my dirty red bandanna
I was playin' soft while Bobby sang the blues, yeah
Windshield wipers slappin' time, I wass holdin' Bobby's hand in mine
We sang every song that driver knew

Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose
Nothin', don't mean nothin' hon' if it ain't free, no no
And, feelin' good was easy, Lord, when he sang the blues
You know, feelin' good was good enough for me
Good enough for me and my Bobby McGhee

There are two exercises that will help you write more descriptive lyrics. First, take a look at some of your favorite songs. Identify all the nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs. How many nouns have adjectives? How many verbs have adverbs? What are some of your favorite images?

Next, read over your own song lyrics with the same eye. If there aren't many interesting nouns, verbs and modifiers, think about what your song would look like if you were watching it unfold. Imagine that you are a video camera, or a radio announcer and describe in vivid detail the who, what, when, where and how. Paint the picture. Instead of telling us HOW the singer is feeling (sad, mad, bad, glad, etc.) SHOW it. What do those feelings LOOK like?

I wish it was easy to do, but that's where the artistry comes in. Hope this helps.
ttfn,

Michael

to write, record, perform, promote and encourage original music in the American folk tradtion

http://soundcloud.com/mamichnya-1