Got a forward, got a call, but a shit deal

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Margomaybaby

Got a forward, got a call, but a shit deal

Post by Margomaybaby » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:40 pm

Hello all I was excited because I got my first call and contact to be apart of a music library.
Has anyone ever worked with * ask in dm*
I gave them one song, but realized what a bad deal it was.
No advance up front, and basically the same as myself being on music bed or one of those where its just a library.
Last edited by Margomaybaby on Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Got a forward, got a call, but a shit deal

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:15 pm

Advances are rare in this biz, not saying they don't exist but you won't find many libraries offering them. It's the exception rather than the rule.

My own experience is signing 20 cues between 2017-2018 with this library , but never had a placement to this day. It's actually the only library where I've never had a placement , there are others with less of my music that have landed stuff. Maybe my music sucked 4/5 years ago, it's certainly better now but I have had placements from multiple other tracks I wrote around that time.

Ironically I didn't even find them via Taxi - I just emailed them and they took 10 track and then another 10 some time later.

It's probably not fair to compare them to a stock library, but the net result has been the same for me.

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:26 am

Margomaybaby wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:40 pm
Hello all I was excited because I got my first call and contact to be apart of a music library.
Has anyone ever worked with Spider Cues?
I gave them one song, but realized what a bad deal it was.
No advance up front, and basically the same as myself being on music bed or one of those where its just a library.
I am curious if anyone has ever had and success with spider cues (based in LA)

Thanks! :D
First off, congrats for the deal, second, I was able to get a lot of my tracks signed with different libraries, but never got an advance, which seems the majority of the libraries work like that. THIRD, Isn’t it a unspoken rule to not mention the names of the libraries the forum? On PM no problem
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:29 am

Not sure what your expectations were but upfront fees, especially when you are new to a library, are very rare. And there are many different types of libraries. Some depend on clients using their website, some actively pitch to clients, and some do both. Lots of variables a to whether someone will get placements from a given library. I often here one person say they got no placements from a library after 5 years and someone else say they landed a bunch.

I'm not saying this is the right library for you as I really don't know anything about them. If it's not the right deal for you, pass on it, and wait for the next. I've had offers from Taxi forwards that I turned down. YMMV with everyone and everything.

Oh, and as melodea said, Taxi does not want us posting library names on this forum. And it's not good style to call them by name with their deal as "sh*t". Not the best way to endear yourself to others.

Best,
:D Casey
Last edited by Casey H on Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by crs7string » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:02 am

Sorry for the duplicate post

I did a quick google search of the referenced library.

They certainly do not appear to be quote “a shit deal “

They have international distribution, including one of the most credible libraries in Germany.

On another note, library owners do sign on to this forum, including the owners of two other libraries distributed by the library in Germany.

I suspect that very few libraries want to represent composers who state that a library is a “shit deal” with no credible evidence of that claim.

How one behaves on a public forum can have both positive and negative consequences.
Last edited by crs7string on Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by crs7string » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:04 am

I did a quick google search of the referenced library.

They certainly do not appear to a library that is offering “a shit deal”

They have international distribution, including one of the most credible libraries in Germany.

On another note, library owners do sign on to this forum, including the owners of two other libraries distributed by the library in Germany.

I suspect that very few libraries want to represent composers who state that a library is a “shit deal” with no credible evidence of that claim.

How one behaves on a public forum can have both positive and negative consequences.
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:12 am

You could always join Music Library Report and see what it says on there

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:14 am

Hahahaha, yeah, what were you expecting? A fee of $500 per track with a guarantee of placements? I'm only half-joking here..... when I was new to this game, I thought things like that were standard. I thought every deal involved some type of buy-out. Boy, was I wrong.

I've been in this game for about 12 years now though (about 7 of those years as a full-time composer). You know how many deals I've gotten with upfront money? Ummmm, let's see here..... probably about 5.

I'd venture to say that about 98% of my 4,500 or so tracks have come with no upfront payments. You sign them to libraries, hope for the best, write more, sign it other places, hope for the best, write more, etc.... There's no way to tell how these things are going to play out until you've put music in the catalog and let it germinate for years.

P.S. as others have mentioned, you should definitely take the library's name out of your original post. And cross your fingers the owner of that library hasn't been perusing these forums to see you calling them "shit". Yikes!

~~Matt

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Post by OwenGrech » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:38 am

Not much to add here.....

1) If you came into this with the intention of getting rich quickly....well you got into the wrong business :) This is a long game and is mostly based on GOOD RELATIONSHIPS, which brings me to point 2

2) As Matt and the others suggested, it is a good idea to remove the library's name from your original post. This forum is accessible by everyone and it is no secret that library owners are occasionally watching (and at times even participating) in this Forum. As I posted recently I got a nice deal which started from the library owner contacting me through this very Forum. This certainly would have never happened if I had been calling other libraries "Shit". A little respect goes a long way.

Regards,
Owen

EphJayMusic
Active
Active

Post by EphJayMusic » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:22 am

Although it may be frustrating to not see the desired results after putting in the effort, one must remember to keep things as polite as possible.
I doubt the library has done you any harm or insulted you or your work, so don't be too angry about the lack of success here.
I understand your frustration. I wrote previously on another thread about how I was contacted by a pretty mainstream trailer house, and after spending well into 40 hours making 6 rounds of corrections, and a lot of back and forth emails for a single cue, they still didn't want it. I was pretty burned out by that tbh. Maybe I'll make that 7th round of corrections and send it back to them one of these days...
At least if your track was forwarded, it is sitting somewhere safe and has the potential to be accessed by the relevant people. That is already progress.
I spoke to another long-time Taxi member recently and they told me that accumulative "forwards" are the best recipe - they recently started getting royalties for music they'd submitted years previously! So don't feel too discouraged. 🙂