GOT A MOVIE. NEED A PUBLISHER.

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kat914

GOT A MOVIE. NEED A PUBLISHER.

Post by kat914 » Fri May 03, 2024 9:48 am

Hoping for some direction.

Last year I collaborated with another Taxi member on a few songs. After some forwards, we were signed to a movie (yay - thanks Taxi!) My partner contracted directly with the director, and sought a publishing arrangement with a company called Beatstars. I recently learned that due to some transitions with this service, the publishing never happened, so I'm now scrambling for a different solution given that the film is due to premier next month at Tribeca.

Here are my questions:

> I am a member of a couple catalogs via Taxi - is it appropriate to ask them if they'd like to take on the publishing?
> Alternatively, I signed up for TuneCore Publishing, but am finding their site not especially user-friendly, and their customer service... not so great. Has anyone else out there worked with them?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Best,
Kat

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: GOT A MOVIE. NEED A PUBLISHER.

Post by funsongs » Fri May 03, 2024 12:36 pm

Not an expert, but have used CD Baby & Tunecore when manufacturing physical CDs.
It's been advised by TAXI - NOT to sign away your publishing to them (i.e. Tunecore) -
that encumberment could be difficult, and/or take time (3 years?) to break clear from that contract.

Hopefully others with more 'professional' info will chime in to help you.
Good luck.
Last edited by funsongs on Fri May 03, 2024 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri May 03, 2024 3:19 pm

Why do you need a publisher at all? If this placement is direct from you to the movie company, you can be your own publisher. There's not a lot to it. You might want to have the contract reviewed by an entertainment attorney but collecting sync fee and PRO is straight forward. Let us know why you need an outside publisher.

Congrats!
:D Casey

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Wed May 08, 2024 3:13 pm

I'm not sure I understand this one. But if you are getting your music in a film and there is no publisher attached to the music, then you can be your own publisher and receive the publishing share (essentially doubling your money). Creating a publishing entity with either ASCAP or BMI is super easy. It'll cost a few bucks, but the money you make from collecting the publisher's share of the money should offset it easily enough (hopefully there's some nice money attached?).

~~Matt

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Fri May 10, 2024 5:53 pm

The question puzzled me also
Only thing I could think of is maybe the OP is asking about finding a publisher to literally do the work to "publish" the track so that it is widely available on all the platforms if there is any buzz created by the movie when it airs.

Just a guess though