Got an Offer from a Music Library but...

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

centerpiece

Got an Offer from a Music Library but...

Post by centerpiece » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:49 pm

... I'm afraid to sign!My stuff is limited (I'm not a prolific writer like a lot you guys!)I think my newly released CD is good (and so does Taxi - I guess - lotsa forwards)I got an offer from a music library that wants 10 of the 11 tunes on the CD...My quandry is... I don't know what the heck I'm doing!There are at least 2 other Music libraries (one in U.K.) that have just been forwarded my tunes. Should I wait until I see an offer (no guarantee, I know) or go ahead and sign the offer I have in hand? I need some one with experience to help me out! Thanks in advance for any advice!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Got an Offer from a Music Library but...

Post by hummingbird » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:47 pm

Quote:... I'm afraid to sign!My stuff is limited (I'm not a prolific writer like a lot you guys!)I think my newly released CD is good (and so does Taxi - I guess - lotsa forwards)I got an offer from a music library that wants 10 of the 11 tunes on the CD...My quandry is... I don't know what the heck I'm doing!There are at least 2 other Music libraries (one in U.K.) that have just been forwarded my tunes. Should I wait until I see an offer (no guarantee, I know) or go ahead and sign the offer I have in hand? I need some one with experience to help me out! Thanks in advance for any advice! which listing was this for? if it's non-exclusive why would you worry? Better the bird in the hand. You might not hear anything from anyone else. IMHO, I'd take the deal if it's reasonable, and write more songs to pitch to the other folks if and when they contact me.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:08 pm

The question is...what is your goal with your music? Or this CD? What are you hoping to accomplish with it?With music libraries and film/tv/media placements in general, the basic rule is, if you don't have lots of songs, you won't make lots of money.Is it your goal to eventually become more prolific and pursue many music library deals? Or is it your goal to record a new album every 2-3 years and see if you can make a bit of money on the side from film/tv placements?Obviously how you approach this (or any) deal would be different for each of the 2 scenarios above... matto

centerpiece

Post by centerpiece » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:07 am

Thanks for responses.Again... not a prolific writer.Can't just sit down, compose and record tunes to be a full-time jingle writer for music libraries.This CD may be all that's in the well for me.Matto: Assuming I fit more in to your second catagory :"make a bit of money on the side". What say you?Hummingbird: Not sure what constitutes "Non-exclusive" and "reasonable deal"The "Deal" is 25% for syncs and 50% for performances. Is that "normal" or "reasonable" Again, I'm a newbie.According to the agreement, I can continue to sell my CD's and even market my tunes directly to a studio or record company... I just can't go through another music library with the same tunes.It sounds like I need to go ahead with this deal... unless you guys say the %'s are off

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:24 am

Quote:Matto: Assuming I fit more in to your second catagory :"make a bit of money on the side". What say you?In that case you'd want to be somewhat choosy and find a company that's a good fit. You'd probably want one that pitches mostly to major tv and film projects and has a proven track record of getting results.Of course, the company offering you this deal might be that company for you. To find out, you'd want to research them as best you can. Ask them about a list of recent credits. Ask them what the approximate size of their catalog is. Ask them what type of music they get the most placements with.If you are getting great reviews and lots of forwards, chances are other companies will be interested as well, so you don't necessarily need to take the first deal that comes around. A quick visit to your site makes me think your music is rather "timeless", so there's no reason to rush into anything. Also, there's no rule that says you have to give them all 10 songs just because they'd like them. Nothing wrong with just giving them, say, 5.Of course...you can also be too picky. You'd want to avoid that. I know this can be nerve wrecking, but just put one foot in front of the other, do your research, then make up your mind.And of course, you should have your contract reviewed by a qualified entertainment attorney before you sign it.HTH,matto

kg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kg » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:42 am

Quote:Again... not a prolific writer.Let's end that sentence with YET. I say put some pressure on yourself to grow a little bit more and expect a few more songs from yourself. I used to wonder if I had written my best and was done and then all of a sudden one day it hit and I broke through. Don't limit yourself Dig deep and be patient. You don't have to write 100 songs a year. Four or five really strong songs in a year will pay the bills before 100 crappy ones will.

centerpiece

Post by centerpiece » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:22 am

Thanks Matto and KG (for words of encouragement)

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:45 am

Totally agree with KG 100%. Who knows?... What's wrong with trying to push yourself to see if you can create a little more, a little more often.Allow yourself to write shit music. It's OK. It really IS. Besides, manure makes the BEST fertilizer... And you can't write a great song until you've written tons of crap.Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:39 pm

Quote:Allow yourself to write shit music. It's OK. It really IS. Besides, manure makes the BEST fertilizer... Ted No wonder the garden is doing so well outside my house...

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:53 pm

Quote: you can't write a great song until you've written tons of crap.so true.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website