Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Gothic Americana

Post by Zaychi » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:41 am

https://soundcloud.com/zaychi/mercy/s-arbg79DXBkg

What do you think for this listing?

Target was the 3rd ref mostly.

Several "GOTHIC AMERICANA" SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed by a Music Licensing Company that specializes in music for content creators as well as TV shows and Film projects!

This Company is searching for Songs in All Tempos that could be found on a playlist with the following references:

"In Hell I'll Be in Good Company" by The Dead South

"Canary" by Joy Williams

"Sleeping on the Blacktop" by Colter Wall

Please send well-written Gothic Americana Songs with an overall dark sound and style. Your submissions should have moody guitar riffs, driving drums, and top-notch melodies and choruses. Organic-based instrumentation will suit your submissions best. If you do plan on using any virtual instruments, they need to sound like the real thing – nothing low-quality or obviously MIDI-driven will work for this pitch. Haunting, well-performed vocals could be the cherry on top!

They didn’t specify any particular lyric themes, but you’d be wise to avoid names, dates, times, places, brands, and profanity in your lyrics. Do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for tempo, texture, and tone. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This Company offers both EXCLUSIVE and NON-EXCLUSIVE deals. The specific deal points will be handled on a case-by-case basis. If you’re inclined to sign an Exclusive deal, please don’t submit material that’s already signed with other libraries or publishers for this pitch. You must own or control your Master and Composition to submit to this opportunity. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Thursday, April 29th, 2021. TAXI # S210429GA

RickBourassa
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Gothic Americana

Post by RickBourassa » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:25 pm

I would tweak the mix a bit.

Make more room in the centre for the vocal to stand out.

Bring up the kick and claps to make them more punchy using parallel compression.

My 2 cents...

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:36 pm

I think you might need to rethink the vocal. As is, to my ear, it sounds like a show tune rather than the southern gothic vibe. It's tricky because it's hard to pinpoint a tonal center, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I think for this listing you might want to be a little more straight ahead.

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:59 am

RickBourassa wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:25 pm
I would tweak the mix a bit.

Make more room in the centre for the vocal to stand out.

Bring up the kick and claps to make them more punchy using parallel compression.
The kick-clap compression was a good idea, thanks for that one.

I tried moving the guitar to the sides but that isn't possible; the clanks of he snares on the fretboard (which I DID want) make it sound incoherent cause they are in different places on the different tracks that I used. I lifted the vocal up a bit though.

Thanks for the comments!

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:02 am

eeoo wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:36 pm
I think you might need to rethink the vocal. As is, to my ear, it sounds like a show tune rather than the southern gothic vibe. It's tricky because it's hard to pinpoint a tonal center, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I think for this listing you might want to be a little more straight ahead.
Yes, you may very well be right about that. Still it wasn't possible in the timeframe to do the vocal all over again; and I doubt if it would have been better. I did take some different phrases here and there though which fit the mood slightly better though.

Thanks for your time to listen again!

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:05 am

CTWF wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:26 pm
Hey Zaychi

I have no clue of that genre. So, just some general comments:

1. I would high-pass the vocals more to remove deep air puffs. Or edit them out somehow.
2. The claps I would make a little brighter with less reverb.
3. Not sure the guitar is organic enough.
4. Overall, the mix could need a bit more brightness or edge.

Pretty dark song. :) As I said, I have no idea what the genre is about...
Well the Colter Wall song really struck me when I listened, so I decided to give it a go. In the end it drifted away from that though))

I did even more EQ'ing than I already had, the vocal EQ graph looks like a really tough "hors categorie" mountain in the Tour de France now! Took your hint on the reverb on the claps as well.

Submission day now, I guess I should give it a rest for a few hours then have a final listen and let it go.

Thanks for the ears again!