Grado headphones?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Grado headphones?

Post by billg » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:38 pm

I've been using the same set of Sony MDR 7506 headphones for the past few years. I'm on my third set of earcups! I think they are good headphones but since these are pretty long in the tooth I was thinking about something different but wanted to stay in the same price range (around $100). A friend of mine who is an awesome producer and has never steered me wrong told me that I should get a set of Grado SR80 phones . . . that I probably couldn't do better for under $300 unless it was for a step up to a higher quality Grado. Man, I've never heard of these!!? Anyone here ever used them?http://www.gradolabs.com/

jh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Grado headphones?

Post by jh » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:42 pm

Yeah, Grados are pretty good. If my memory serves me correctly, the mid-bass was somewhat "hyped" though...really not sure here... It´s been awhile since I tried them I have a setof Sennheiser HD600 headphones and they are much better IMO, but so is the price tag I´ve to agree that for the price (around $100) Grado is a really good choice.HTH- JH

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:36 pm

IMO, the way phones feel on my head and ears is at least as important as how they sound. Since I'm not going to be doing final mixes with them, but will be wearing them for hours late at night or when my wife gets sick of hearing the same 4 bars over and over, then comfort is a huge consideration. Try them first!! They might sound great but give you a headache after 15 minutes.
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:00 pm

Lou Reed raved about 'em in an article I read about the making of his "Set The Twilight Reeling" CD; they're very well regarded, but might be uncomfortable if you have very large ears. The best Grados are an open design, I believe. I use Audio-Technica M40fs phones for tracking-they're a little hyped in the bass compared to my reference MDR 7506 cans, but there's way less leakage and they're quite comfy for long sessions.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

jdhogg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jdhogg » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:25 pm

A lot of people I respect greatly useAudio Technica ATM 50

jh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jh » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:35 am

Quote:the way phones feel on my head Good point Mazz. If you ever get a chance,try those Sennheisers (HD600) ! extremely comfy - JH

georgeptingley

Post by georgeptingley » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:35 am

Super happy with my AKG K240 Studio headphones in the $125 range. These are for professional mixing - flat frequency response with no flattering distortions. Perhaps you could try a pair out at the local store.

marcblack30
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by marcblack30 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:11 am

Sept 26, 2009, 2:00am, mojobone wrote:Lou Reed raved about 'em in an article I read about the making of his "Set The Twilight Reeling" CD; they're very well regarded, but might be uncomfortable if you have very large ears. The best Grados are an open design, I believe. I use Audio-Technica M40fs phones for tracking-they're a little hyped in the bass compared to my reference MDR 7506 cans, but there's way less leakage and they're quite comfy for long sessions.I use Audio-Technica M40fs too and i simply love them, they are very comfortable, sound great and only cost around $59!Both cans swivel on these which i found a little annoying so i just taped the right one so it's secure.
-- Marc Blackwell

Mark Kaufman
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Mark Kaufman » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:24 am

I'm a very happy Audio Technica ATH M50s user...bought them new with warranty for less than $100 on eBay, and I can FINALLY hear the mix. They're good enough to mix in the phones first, then reference on monitors, without wasting time getting fooled. Great cans if you need to be quiet, and they're also the best tracking phones I've used.

mfowler
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mfowler » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:18 am

I also use the Audio Technica M40fs phones.. for same reason.. sound decent, easy to replace, and I can wear for long time without discomfort.. also, they block out Oprah and Dr Phil when the wife has their shows cranked up.. (no offense Mazz!!) Marlin