great Presidential speech

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

heinsite
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: great Presidential speech

Post by heinsite » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:37 am

yeah, but his VP could...xoxowh

llama
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by llama » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:50 pm

Yea, not as slick at reading the teleprompter, that's for sure...... :-ODerek

heinsite
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by heinsite » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:14 pm

uh, as the various caucus'sss get closer to HEALTH CARE REFORM, based on what i'm reading right now anyway, in spite of us all, they just may get something done. i'm very happy that at least this prez can READ. but i will admit, that without the teleprompter, cheney is a MUCH bettter liar than anybody i've seen in a long time, certainly better at it than the current president of the united states--in spite of how some of you folks don't like that.the proof is in what happens--no crystal ball, let's just see....nothing happened in 8 years--but some are trying to fix it in 8 months--at least trying. man, wouldn't that be embarrassing if in less than a year the current congress actually passes a landmark ANYTHING! oops, time to go back and watch FOX, so we can get the REAL facts... warren

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:32 pm

Not a huge fan of Faux News, myself, but there's a certain entertainment value, (lots of good-looking Aryan types, not to mention the sometimes flabbergasting spin) plus they now represent what you Brits might call the loyal(?) opposition, so I feel a bit more obligated to keep up than I did during the Shrub era. I harbor no suspicion that they represent the mainstream, their whole hooha about the so-called "liberal media" was quite correctly identified by Al Franken as "working the ref"-as a hoosier,I should know, Bobby Knight practically invented it.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

southpaw
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by southpaw » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:40 pm

Its funny how obama disciples and liberals (i guess that's just being redundant..) use snide sarcasm and self-righteous propaganda (especially on the web and tv) to parade their views like its the gospel. It reminds me of the people that stand on milk crates and say "YOU'RE going to hell, Unless we....!" Annoying. But at least the creepy milk-crate prophets acknowledge their are other beliefs.... Of course, everyone STILL thinks THEIRS is right...So naturally, politics become an adult game of - "king of the jungle gym". Only this game has a lot more weasely puss', and requires chronic lying experience. Personal Beliefs are deeply personal... Throw a chair at you for saying that, personal. Congress should seriously host a weekly night of boxing matches... suits off, gloves on, black eyes, loser buys beer. So again, I wouldnt trust politicians as far as i can throw em.If politics are the art of deception; then politicians are inherently.....? Maybe im missing something??? I aintal-tha-smart ya know.Gossip, manipulation, power lust... That's a F^cked up song. But WAIT! OBAMA IS HERE, HE'S GOING TO CHANGE EVERYTHING AND IT WILL ALL BE OK, PAPA BARACK IS HERE TO FIX EVERYTHING THAT EVERYONE EVER DID WRONG.. HELL HE'S SO GOOD, HE'S EVEN GOING TO FIX THE THINGS PEOPLE DID RIGHT!
Stay Fresh,

Jamie Leger 
The Music Business Architect for Independent Musicians

--> FREE GUIDE: Double New Fan Signups At Your Next Show!

Proudly Helping Hundreds of Modern Musicians liberate the music business-on their own terms.

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:56 pm

Well, no, you're not being redundant; I voted for O'Bama, (him bein' the Irish candidate and all) but I'm neither a liberal nor did I drink the Kool-Ade, and frankly, I'd trust a comedian before I'd trust a politician; remember, the truth hurts, and pain+time=comedy, so comedians are all about truth-the polar opposite of politicians-which is one of the reasons I find Al Franken fascinating; I've heard some stupidly funny stuff come out of the mouths of politicians, but I reckon it wasn't intentional. And, whereas the Gospel is concerned, I don't feel that the interwebs is the appropriate place for preachin'-I prefer to do that in a bar with a guitar.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

heinsite
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by heinsite » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:19 am

what mojo said...

drew
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by drew » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:57 am

I finally have some time to interject some pointless, un-civil lies into this thread. The O constantly called the questioners of his plan liars, and worse. A Great Speech? It was the same as the previous ONE HUNDRED AND ELEVEN speeches he has given on health care, nothing new except one item. A yapping Chihuahua with sub-titles would have been as effective for the people that want their questions answered. That’s why people (his supporters) have quit watching and supporting him. He doesn’t need the support of the folks who didn’t vote for him or the Rep party. But the independents and moderates who helped elect him are backing away in droves, not because of what Reps say, it’s because of what O says and won’t say.A few excerpts from his speech:Now, these are the facts. Nobody disputes them. We know we must reform this system. The question is how. (TRUTH)…It's how everyone in this Congress gets affordable insurance. And it's time to give every American the same opportunity that we give ourselves (LIE)Now is when we must bring the best ideas of both parties together, (WHY NOT BEFORE NOW, BEFORE THE TEA PARTIES STARTED)And while there remain some significant details to be ironed out, (DUH - BUT LET’S VOTE ON IT FIRST)But what we have also seen in these last months is the same partisan spectacle that only hardens the disdain many Americans have toward their own government. Instead of honest debate, we have seen scare tactics (REP LIES?). Some have dug into unyielding ideological camps that offer no hope of compromise (O offered no compromise until failure seemed imminent). First, if you are among the hundreds of millions of Americans who already have health insurance through your job, Medicare, Medicaid, or the VA, nothing in this plan will require you or your employer to change the coverage or the doctor you have (WELL, EXCEPT FOR HIS PUNISHMENT TAX, BUT LET’S CALL IT AN ‘INCENTIVE’). Let me repeat this: nothing in our plan requires you to change what you have (A HALF TRUTH IS A LIE).…businesses will be required to either offer their workers health care, or chip in to help cover the cost of their workers (A LIE, THE BILL REQUIRES BOTH IF THEY STAY WITH THEIR GROUP PLAN).…given all the misinformation that’s been spread over the past few months, (REP. LIES)Some of people’s concerns have grown out of bogus claims (REP LIES)…laughable if it weren’t so cynical and irresponsible. It is a lie, plain and simple. (THERE, HE USED THE L WORD HIMSELF)There are also those who claim that our reform effort will insure illegal immigrants. This, too, is false (CALLING REPS LIARS AGAIN) — the reforms I’m proposing would not apply to those who are here illegally (THIS IS A LIE, REPS HAVE INTRODUCED TWO BILLS TO PREVENT THIS, DEFEATED IN PARTY-LINE VOTING BOTH TIMES) This is where that fool Wilson shouted “you lie”. I don’t know Wilson, if he’s a dumba--, or just reached the end of his rope with “O”, but it was stupid. Even he realized it and apologized immediately after the session. I remember some of you pointing out that O apologized for his stupid comments on the Skippy Gates massacre, which made it OK, he didn’t, he bought them a beer. Now, because of this stupid act of Wilson’s, the press has labeled the entire Rep party as un-civil, without pointing out that O was, in fact, telling another lie. Or that it was the Dems, all of them, not just one, who started the un-civil actions during a State of the Union address. WITHOUT APOLOGY!Now, my health care proposal has also been attacked by some who oppose reform as a "government takeover" of the entire health care system. As proof, critics point to a provision in our plan that allows the uninsured and small businesses to choose a publicly sponsored insurance option, administered by the government just like Medicaid or Medicare. So let me set the record straight here. My guiding principle "is, and always has been”, (LIE! - STOPPED HERE BECAUSE WE KNOW OF ALL HIS SPEECHES ABOUT CUTTING OUT PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE, NO DENYING IT)Now, I have no interest in putting insurance companies out of business. (HE HAS NEVER SAID THIS, JUST THE OPPOSITE, UNTIL THIS YEAR, WHICH IS WHY IT’S SO HARD TO BELIEVE)And one more misunderstanding I want to clear up — under our plan, no federal dollars will be used to fund abortions (PLANNED PARENTHOOD BEGS TO DIFFER, THEY ARE SUPPORTING THIS PLAN FULLY)Medicare is another issue that’s been subjected to demagoguery and distortion (REP LIES)…especially since some of the same folks who are spreading these tall tales (LIES)And we will also create an independent commission of doctors and medical experts charged with identifying more waste in the years ahead (LIE, THEY WILL BE BEAURECRATS, MAYBE PHD DOCTORS)And to my Republican friends, I say that rather than making wild claims (LIES?) about a government takeover of health care, we should work together to address any legitimate concerns you may have. (BEFORE THE REP PARTY [FINALLY] GOT ON BOARD WITH THE TEA-PARTYERS, THEY ATTEMPTED MANY TIMES TO HAVE BI-PARTISAN DISCUSSIONS WITH ‘O’, THEY WERE SNUBBED)If you come to me with a serious set of proposals, I will be there to listen. My door is always open (LIE-RARELY OR NEVER HAS BEEN OPEN).But know this: I will not waste time with those who have made the calculation that it's better politics to kill this plan than to improve it. (SAME STATEMENT HE MADE IN JAN, FEB, MAR, ETC., ALWAYS POINTING OUT HE DIDN’T NEED THEIR INPUT OR SUPPORT, WHICH HE DOESN’T) If you misrepresent what’s in the plan, we will call you out. (A THREAT INSTEAD OF ANSWERING LEGITIMATE QUESTIONS. HE HAS NEVER YET HELD A SINGLE PRESS CONFERENCE WITH UN-SCREENED, RELEVANT QUESTIONS. More businesses will close… (THIS IS WHAT CREATES THE CRISES THAT MAKE PEOPLE BELIEVE THEY SHOULD COUNT ON THE GOVERNMENT, HE LOVES THIS, ROHMBO WAS GIDDY IN A DECEMBER INTERVIEW, POINTING OUT HOW YOU CAN TAKE ADVANTAGE OF A CRISES, “PEOPLE WILL LET YOU DO THINGS YOU NORMALLY CAN GET AWAY WITH”(NEW)Now, finally, many in this chamber -- particularly on the Republican side of the aisle -- have long insisted that reforming our medical malpractice laws can help bring down the cost of health care. Now -- there you go. There you go. Now, I don't believe malpractice reform is a silver bullet, but I've talked to enough doctors to know that defensive medicine may be contributing to unnecessary costs. So I'm proposing that we move forward on a range of ideas about how to put patient safety first and let doctors focus on practicing medicine. I know that the Bush administration considered authorizing demonstration projects in individual states to test these ideas. I think it's a good idea, and I'm directing my Secretary of Health and Human Services to move forward on this initiative today. (WISH I COULD BELIEVE THIS BUT HE HAS LIED ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE, THIS IS A LONG SHOT, DOUBT IT WILL SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY AGAIN)Now, this is the plan I'm proposing. It's a plan that incorporates ideas from many of the people in this room tonight -- Democrats and Republicans.(HALFTRUTH LIE – HE ONLY HAS ALLOWED MINOR TECHNICAL INPUT FROM REPS)…because Medicare is another issue that's been subjected to demagoguery and distortion during the course of this debate. (REP LIES)…and we can no longer even engage in a civil conversation with each other over the things that truly matter (FROM DAY ONE OF BUSH)The day before this speech a ‘friendly’ reporter looking for something to promote after the speech asked Gibbs, ’WTF? There’s nothing new here, people have heard this.’ Gibbs response was along the lines of ‘we don’t know that, people haven’t heard him say this in front of a joint session of congress’, and other even more ridiculous stuff. I was laughing and snorting as usual for Gibbs’ responses.Way longer than what is usual for me, got to stop myself here (applause?)
It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere

ggalen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ggalen » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:33 am

Drew,The people, like Sarah Palin, who said there would be "death panels" to pull the plug on seniors were lying and distorting the facts. There is not, nor have there ever been, plans to have panels designed to euthanize senior citizens.You do know that, right?If you don't, then I understand your last post in a new light.

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:06 am

I think it was mentioned in this thread that all politicians manipulate the truth. I guess that's always going to be the case, and with politics you need to pick your poison. I have to draw the line at supporting the group of people who blindly stood behind the administration that lied to us about reasons we needed to go to war. Nothing in my lifetime compares to that lie, a lie that resulted in many deaths and nearly wiped out our economy.It blows my mind that there are people who will still try to defend that. And the BS that flows from the Rush/Palin/Hannity asylum would be comical if it wasn't for the fact that there are actually folks who believe in it. Birthers, Death Panels, etc., blah, blah.Obama's not perfect BUT is much better than what we had and right now he represents the people who appear to have not quite lost all of their marbles. That's the #1 reason he's the boss now, and he will be for at least three and a half more years so some folks are just gonna have to get over it.