great Presidential speech

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

heinsite
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

great Presidential speech

Post by heinsite » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:39 pm

well, there it was/is.and a picture as always is worth a thousand words,the "right" didn't know how to stand up off their asses.they were TEXTING while our president was speaking--diss, no?one of the "right" repubs yelled "liar" at him in a congressional session. i DO NOT EVER remember in my years of watching these, any civilized member of congress yelling anything like that to a President.but more importantly, he had the balls to speak what he believed,he held out olive branches, let's see who takes them.the best,wh

ggalen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: great Presidential speech

Post by ggalen » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:56 pm

Yeah, the lack of respect for the office of the President from the "liar!" shouter just shows you what we've come to in America.Sad.I've never seen that before at a speech by the President to Congress, either.And we already know who it was, thanks to the Internet. I just read on Salon:"South Carolina Republican Rep. Joe Wilson shouted "You lie!" after Obama had talked about illegal immigrants.

bucyboy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by bucyboy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:41 pm

Even if you disagree with what's being said, it is totally disrespectful to yell out like that. I think Pres. Obama painted a very good picture, I just don't have any idea how he'll make it all work. I still don't understand how it will all be paid for. Sounds great though!

cameron
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cameron » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:51 pm

I was beginning to think he was going to be another Jimmy Carter... a great, well intentioned guy who was a completely ineffective President. Thought we might have to bring back the ghost of Harry Truman to kick some asses. I'm glad to see Obama finally rise to the occasion.Cam

heinsite
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by heinsite » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:11 pm

ditto guys, ditto and dittowas a good night,wh

toddt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by toddt » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:27 pm

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by remmet » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:27 pm

This is the Obama I've been waiting for. Now if those bluedog democrats will finally get on board, we might make some progress. Let's hope. As for the republicans, their embracing of the crazies and ill-informed have made them almost entirely irrelevant. R

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:24 pm

Yeah I thought that was a damn good showing. Made the points needed, firm, in control, etc. As far as the ass who yelled out at him, I thought Obama was very restrained at that point, to not let that ass break his stride.

fusilierb
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by fusilierb » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:03 am

I just had a chance to watch this. As a person who has traditionally been sarcastic, at best, about politics as even something worth giving any consideration to, I have to admit. I, for the first time in my life, believe in one of our politicians.I'm in my late thirties and have always found our leaders to be comical, at best. Granted, I didn't grow up in a family that really cared or paid attention to such things, so I was never exposed to people who had anything other than a passing disdain for politicians. I vaguely remember Reagan, mainly cuase of Saturday Night Live skits and laughed through the next few "leaders" as did almost everyone I've ever known. Not to say that they didn't have merit or did NOTHING to honor the office they held. I just never cared, as they never made me. And the games were always soooo obvious.Man how things have changed. I guess living in New Orleans and being from the South makes me more susceptible to preachers, but man can that dude throw out the gospel. I never expected to admire a president on his seeming sense of "grasp". But I do.This debate has been painful to watch. Everyone knows that, deep down, if you can, you should. In our personal lives, I'm sure we all understand and respond to that. When it all gets semantically distorted out into the pack games that we unfortunately respond to, it become common, like a formulaic movie script, and we become numb to what, deep down, we know to be right. Somehow, a politician, seemed to have made that clear. And I was impressed and moved. Something I never thought a politician could ever do to me. I don't distrust that he's genuine in his beliefs and I'm utter convinced that he believes what he says. This debate has really just become finally focused. I'm looking forward to what are, hopefully, finally, some steps in a direction that respects the dignity of life over money and the fact that we are all in this together, no matter what little circles our lives have led us to believe we're are a part of.My review - president good. B

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:15 am

Sept 9, 2009, 5:56pm, ggalen wrote:Yeah, the lack of respect for the office of the President from the "liar!" shouter just shows you what we've come to in America.Sad.I've never seen that before at a speech by the President to Congress, either.And we already know who it was, thanks to the Internet. I just read on Salon:"South Carolina Republican Rep. Joe Wilson shouted "You lie!" after Obama had talked about illegal immigrants. Joe Wilson started his career when he was a teenager as an aid to Strom Thurmond in the 60's. That might give some indication of where he's coming from.Looks like there's a silver lining in his outburst;"Following Wilson's outburst, the Congressman's website crashed, presumably due to heavy traffic.[18] A message posted to the site claimed that it was "down for maintenance. Please check back again soon." Within hours of the speech, Wilson's Democratic opponent Rob Miller, a Marine Corps veteran, had a fundraising windfall."