Greatest Songwriter of 20th Centuty

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Greatest Songwriter of 20th Centuty

Post by horacejesse » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:07 am

No, I know what you mean, Ed. It is about as subjective as one's favorite food. There would probably be about the same statistical dispersion. I like lobster and Bob Dylan.

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:35 am

I don't know, some of those long-winded lobster songs are boring, and I bet Dylan would taste rather gamey. A bit long in the tooth (like me).
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:55 pm

A good marinade and moist heat....

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:16 pm

Ahem --- I've been running this question in the back of my pea brain for awhile, and since I'm a sucker for melodies (that's why I love Richard Rodgers), I think we've missed someone:Stevie Wonder! -------- (nevermind "Ebony & Ivory" )I think "My Cherie Amore" is as good as anything McCartney has ever written.Ern

pogodog
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by pogodog » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:01 pm

Quote:Ahem --- I've been running this question in the back of my pea brain for awhile, and since I'm a sucker for melodies (that's why I love Richard Rodgers), I think we've missed someone:Stevie Wonder! -------- (nevermind "Ebony & Ivory" )I think "My Cherie Amore" is as good as anything McCartney has ever written.Ern Ditto that. Ern"Higher Ground" , "For The City" , " The Fomer Living" etc...

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:16 pm

I can't dispute any of the opinions offered so far, and I can't say that I would even have a strong vote for THE greatest writer. There is a writer that I really respect that I don't think is duly recognized:StingFrom catchy pop to eclectic rock, I think he pushed boundaries in a very unique way. Who else sounds like Sting? How many songs have you heard and thought, that sounds like the Police?How fragile we are, I hope the Russians love their children too, king of pain.... on and on - unique, meaningful, intelligent writing.Maybe not THE writer, but in my book definitely ONE of THE writers worth noting.

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:04 am

Stevie Wonder has a lot of great songs, no doubt about that. For my taste he reached his peak with Fulfillingness First Finale, or whatever that silly title was. Every song on it was a masterpiece. Heaven and Lately just kill me everytime. Same with some of the earlier stuff: Blame it On the Sun, Yester-me Yester-you, Superstition, Cherie. It doesn't get much better to listen to.On the lyric side he might be rather ordinary, but the lyrics fit perfectly, you can listen to the songs over and over and they still seem great, so what is there to complain about?

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:20 am

The other problem, if we say "greatest songwriter" is that you can't even beging to discover all the unpublished songwrites, who might be even greater than the ones on record. There are people, believe it or not, who write songs with no intention of getting them published.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin